2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    IMO, #21 should be an instant starter. A starter that is on the field at least 80% of the snaps.

Could that be Bijan...? Well if you trade Ekeler to get him... then, probably. My issue with Bijan is not talent. My issue is draft capital to get him.
    Could that be Kincaid...? Possibly. But you're taking Palmer off the field to go 21 personnel a lot. I predict that a 3rd-year Palmer is more dangerous than a 1st-year TE.
    Could it be Bresee...? The physical gifts are there. But I doubt he sees 80% of next season's snaps. And a think Morgan Fox does a lot of the things Bresee will be asked to do.

That's why I keep focussing on CB/DB with the #21 pick. It is the greatest need currently. And I believe that it will also be BPA @#21.

Rounds 2-7 should be used for depth. It's been a problem for a while.
    With the 4 re-structures, and the approaching Herbert re-sign, 2 of those impact players probably get traded or cut at the end of the season... right after the SB win.
    I'm guessing KA gets traded... after another 100+ reception campaign. And Mack probably gets cut. Those are painful losses... but free up $46 million in cap space.
    A RB/WR in the 2nd/3rd... an Edge rusher in the 2nd/3rd... and you have depth this year (with possible replacement for next year).
    Then you go into 2024 draft looking for WR/Edge in rounds 1 and 2...

Plan for departures of Ekeler, Allen, Mack, and Davis after the season.
    I'll take that wager.... easy money.

and nothing against Joshua, as Herbert to Kincaid is on a whole 'nother level.

and painful for me is to see the continual and empirical siting of position of need as a basis for any draft philosophy.

maybe I'm too sentimental or emotionally invested, and.... am at a bit of a loss as to how peoples are so detached from which player they want as a Charger, and are going by rote position of need, rather than player that would make for the best Charger.... over the longterm ??

ps. also don't get the love for Bosa 'n MW, as considering demeanor/mindset, don't see how we wouldn't be the much better off w/the both of Keenan 'n Khalil over Joey and Mike.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

We need another Free Safety! Check out Daniel Scott from the Cal Bears! Let's draft him in the 5th and keep him on the West Coast!

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Otito Ogbonnia. Ruptured patellar (same as JCJ). It could be a long-term concern. But he's depth. Moa is on the roster (which is probably why Fehoko wasn't re-signed). Christopher Hinton is also on the roster. He's an unknown... but I did like him out of Michigan.

With the re-signing of Fox... I think we're OK along the IDL. I worry about EDGE depth more than IDL.
        we might be "ok" but we'd be a hellah lot better off w/Siaki takin' on a do si do double team up the middle, and... would make life a hellah lot easier for your CBs back there.
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I agree and have often done just that. I've found a cluster of EDGE/IDL around the 3rd/4th round range...

IDL = Keeanu Benton (if he slips to the 3rd), Colby Wooden (3rd), Zacch Pickens (if he slips to the 4th), Karl Brooks (if he slips to the 4th)
          EDGE = I start looking in the 2nd. Felix Anudike (2nd), Derick Hall (2nd), Mike Morris (3rd/4th), Isaiah McGuire (3rd/4th), Andre Carter (3rd/4th)
          not sure that the any of those guys are difference makers.... Andre Carter is a day three guy that is gonna have a really hard time w/NFL speed & power.

much prefer a LB earlier than later, and to make sure we get some IOL depth first thing day three, and.... resign Van Noy while we're at it.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

30th ranked RB production.
            You might ask "What's the difference?"
            That would be team, coaching, plays called, team execution vs RBs only.
            Passing threat, OL blocking, OC (coaching- playcalling) are upgraded.
            So, same old, same old right up front? Not a chance, with the same RBs.
            I like Bijan based on elite talent. PON, not so much.
            personal suspicion is that the biggest oversight was not signing a D'Ernest Johnson or the like in FA.... Sony Michel was an afterthought, and in hindsight a marginal return @best.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

I’m a trencher
              Breese would be Bosa replacement
              lesser cap hit
              more availability & hunger
              Never enough pass rushers
              I don't see Bresee as a edge rusher.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                We need another Free Safety! Check out Daniel Scott from the Cal Bears! Let's draft him in the 5th and keep him on the West Coast!

Tackles well, tracks the ball well. Hustles, sheds blocks well. Playmaker. Impressive!

Remind me again why he'd be available in the 5th?

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

I'll take that wager.... easy money.

and nothing against Joshua, as Herbert to Kincaid is on a whole 'nother level.

and painful for me is to see the continual and empirical siting of position of need as a basis for any draft philosophy.

maybe I'm too sentimental or emotionally invested, and.... am at a bit of a loss as to how peoples are so detached from which player they want as a Charger, and are going by rote position of need, rather than player that would make for the best Charger.... over the longterm ??

ps. also don't get the love for Bosa 'n MW, as considering demeanor/mindset, don't see how we wouldn't be the much better off w/the both of Keenan 'n Khalil over Joey and Mike.
                  I agree... easy money. Joshua Palmer more than doubled his production in year 2. 33/353 (year 1) -----> 72/769 (year 2).
                  Go check out the stats from 1st round TE's taken after pick 20 the last 5-6 years... it ain't pretty. Some don't even make it to their 2nd contracts before being traded. Very few are offered their 5th year option...

But hey, stick with your heart.
                  Oh, and before I go... gonna re-post what I said about CB v TE... just so no one misinterprets what I'm try to say...

That's why I keep focussing on CB/DB with the #21 pick. It is the greatest need currently. And I believe that it will also be BPA @#21.
                  I think you missed that 2nd part...
                  In fact, my personal grade on Kincaid (and Mayer) is late 1st round.
                  I have 6 CB's rated higher than the #1 TE... Porter Jr., Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Branch, Phillips, and Banks. Ringo (traits) is right around the #1 TE (late 1st) and Forbes sits right after them (early 2nd). I'm not a fan of Cam Smith (too inconsistent) but many have him rated higher than Kincaid/Mayer.

Of course, it's all just my personal opinion. I can't wait to see how it plays out... who goes where...

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Tackles well, tracks the ball well. Hustles, sheds blocks well. Playmaker. Impressive!

Remind me again why he'd be available in the 5th?
                    Nice find Quack! I hadn't looked at his tape before. IMO, safety is one of those positions that are very deep.
                    I have a sneaking suspician that Staley has a plan for Woods. I know... Polly-anna-ism... but I think TT let's Staley have a say in the draft. I thought they were going safety in the 3rd... I just didn't predict Woods. Was there something that Staley saw...? We'll see... I'm not writing a guy off after 1 season... I'll trust the professionals over Negative Nancy keyboard warriors...

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

we might be "ok" but we'd be a hellah lot better off w/Siaki takin' on a do si do double team up the middle, and... would make life a hellah lot easier for your CBs back there.
                      I just see more impactful players @#54 than Siaki.

Right now, I'm liking an edge rusher (Anudike or Hall). We're thinner @edge... and Mack is probably a cap-casulty after the 2023 season.
                      I'd even consider Charbonnet @#54 (should the edge rushers be gone)... Paired with EKE, Charbonnet would be dangerous (sneaky 7.0 ypc last year). Eventually, he'd take on a bigger role once Ekeler moves on (which seems pre-destined after 2023).

I see the value of Siaki... just focussed in a different direction. And I think there will be a BPA.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

not sure that the any of those guys are difference makers.... Andre Carter is a day three guy that is gonna have a really hard time w/NFL speed & power.

much prefer a LB earlier than later, and to make sure we get some IOL depth first thing day three, and.... resign Van Noy while we're at it.
                        I don't think we're looking for "difference makers" @IDL. I think Staley is looking for players that will play their assignments and read/react. I think his "difference makers" are Bosa, Mack, and Fox.

I was drafting LB closer to 3rd round earlier on. Then they brought Kendricks on-board. I'm excited about Kendricks... assignment oriented, very good read/react, and versatile (good against run and pass). So my focus turns to the eventual replacement of K9. IMO, the draft is very deep in off-ball LB's. I see some moldable clay in the 6th/7th round... guys that might be as good as LB's selected in the 3rd-5th rounds. Same thing goes for IOL... 6th/7th round moldable clay. One of them (John Gaines) has been contacted by the Chargers. Another (Alex Forsythe) looks good. I assume Herbert might have some inside sources there...

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

I've been working on my cluster. I got it down from 32 players to ten and now I've cut it down to seven. Sorry guys, that's as low as I can go. Anyway, it's likely that some of them will be gone long before our pick - but here's my cluster;

Bjon Robinson
                          Brian Branch
                          Dalton Kincaid
                          Michael Mayer
                          Myles Murphy
                          Calijah Kancey
                          Zay Flowers​
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X