2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

In other words Edge player in first 2 rounds. I still wouldn't mind KJ Henry as a third or fourth rounder to help out!
    Absolutely!
    I'm sure that's why they're kicking the tires on KJ. They're looking EDGE in 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

My draft strategy has been consistent for the last month or so...

1st CB/DB for the slot corner
      2nd EDGE rusher
      3rd BPA @WR or RB
      4th BPA @RB or WR
      5th TE
      6th BPA @IOL/LB
      7th BPA @LB/IOL

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        My draft strategy has been consistent for the last month or so...

1st CB/DB for the slot corner
        2nd EDGE rusher
        3rd BPA @WR or RB
        4th BPA @RB or WR
        5th TE
        6th BPA @IOL/LB
        7th BPA @LB/IOL
        You have one of the best QB's in the NFL and don't load up with weapons for him? Strange. You have to surround the franchise with weapons. WR/TE/Oline. Those should be priority. Then if defense melts down we have an O that can outscore anyone.

Mid round RB when we have 2 mid round RB's on the roster already? Strange.

You have CB in 1st when that is one of our most deep positions. Vato, JC Jackson, Asante Samuel jr, Hall. Not to mention the other DB's. We were 9th in the NFL against the pass without our #1 CB.

1st round HAS to be WR or Edge.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

You have one of the best QB's in the NFL and don't load up with weapons for him? Strange. You have to surround the franchise with weapons. WR/TE/Oline. Those should be priority. Then if defense melts down we have an O that can outscore anyone.

Mid round RB when we have 2 mid round RB's on the roster already? Strange.

You have CB in 1st when that is one of our most deep positions. Vato, JC Jackson, Asante Samuel jr, Hall. Not to mention the other DB's. We were 9th in the NFL against the pass without our #1 CB.

1st round HAS to be WR or Edge.

Hmmmm, let's see.

1) 5 time Pro Bowl WR Keenan Allen... Check.
          2) 2021' leading 40+ yard receiver (and #6 pick) in Mike Williams... Check.
          3) A RB that has 3200 total yards and 38 total TD's over the last 2 years in Ekeler... Check.
          4) A #3 WR who doubled his production (72 catches last year) in only his 2nd year... Check.
          5) A TE (and #5 receiving option) that continues his yearly upward production (58 receptions last year) in Everett.

They went out and spent the last 2 year's 1st-round picks on a LT and OG.
          They brought in one of the best veteran centers money can buy in Linsley...

Am I missing something here...?

The CB position is one of the most important positions in football... especially when you're destined to face Mahommes, Burrows, and Allen for the next 8 years.
          And you're rolling with Ja'Sir Taylor....?

We have no idea whether JCJ comes back from a patellar rupture. It's the most difficult injury to come back from. He hasn't made one plant or cut on that knee yet...
          You have 1 year left on Michael Davis' contract...

Kemon Hall has bounced back and forth from practice squad to the 53... and back again. Your reference to the "others" gives me no comfort....

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Interesting take on the Bijan situation.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Just great. If he's Debo/LT, no way he gets to 21.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Hmmmm, let's see.

1) 5 time Pro Bowl WR Keenan Allen... Check.
                2) 2021' leading 40+ yard receiver (and #6 pick) in Mike Williams... Check.
                3) A RB that has 3200 total yards and 38 total TD's over the last 2 years in Ekeler... Check.
                4) A #3 WR who doubled his production (72 catches last year) in only his 2nd year... Check.
                5) A TE (and #5 receiving option) that continues his yearly upward production (58 receptions last year) in Everett.

They went out and spent the last 2 year's 1st-round picks on a LT and OG.
                They brought in one of the best veteran centers money can buy in Linsley...

Am I missing something here...?

The CB position is one of the most important positions in football... especially when you're destined to face Mahommes, Burrows, and Allen for the next 8 years.
                And you're rolling with Ja'Sir Taylor....?

We have no idea whether JCJ comes back from a patellar rupture. It's the most difficult injury to come back from. He hasn't made one plant or cut on that knee yet...
                You have 1 year left on Michael Davis' contract...

Kemon Hall has bounced back and forth from practice squad to the 53... and back again. Your reference to the "others" gives me no comfort....
                Any outside football analyst will tell you the Chargers offence has a glaring lack of speed and defenses know it. Williams and Allen are both getting older not always on the field and you can really make an argument are not always returning the the huge cap numbers value they are taking up. One will be gone next year when we are in cap trouble.

An explosive YAC guy like Flowers that can win on all 3 levels would do wonders for Herbert and this offence. A top 3 offence should be the goal that will keep this team competitive in the AFC arms race, Staley's defenses wont

I do think CB will be addressed early though and could even be in round 1 if the value is there and Flowers or Addison arent.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post

Mostly agree with this. Only possible disagreement is that DT is a position for many teams that justifies use of a 1st, and even a high 1st. But in Staley's scheme, and certainly after we've spent on free agent DTs last year, maybe not. I would add safety and center to the list of positions to use later picks on rather than top picks. Of course, there can be exceptions, such as when a Derwin James unexpectedly falls to your pick, and it is a position of some need. Yet the rule I'd like us to follow is to use premium picks for premium positions only, subject to those rare exceptions.

This is why I'm hesitant to use our 1st round pick on a tight end (and the draft is deep enough at that position that we can find a good prospect later). Same with running back (sorry, Bijan supporters).
                  Agree with you on TE. How many TEs have you seen go in round 1 that are on new teams a short time later? Not many pan out.

I am still intrigued by Kincaid stretching the seam though. Think he is gone by 21 to someone like GB though

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

100% Ideally, I'd like 1 of each (WR, CB, EDGE, OT) on a 2nd contract... along with a franchise QB. Having 2 of each premium position on a 2nd contract becomes difficult to field a team with depth at most positions.
                    We have cap hell coming because we are top heavy...huge contracts to aging stars at some of those positions...and are they really living up by what they are producing on the field over a full season for the cap they take?

That is why we need some top young early round talent at those premium positions...younger and cheaper

Another year from now, guys like Allen and Mack are going to have to be cap casualties likely

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      Just great. If he's Debo/LT, no way he gets to 21.
                      I think the interesting thing is that Cowboys are interested in Bijan and willing to jump in front of us.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

This draft, I'd start by finishing the starters (@slot corner).
                        Then, I'd move on to drafting depth (with a possibility of starting in 2024) @EDGE, WR, and RB. This way, you're on your way to evaluating positions you're going to lose in 2024 (KA, Mack, Eke)
                        EDGE, WR, RB in that order would be my preference as EDGE is a little harder to find than WR deeper in the draft... and WR a little harder to find than a RB later in the draft.
                        Meanwhile, by the end of 2023, you should have a good idea about JCJ's recovery. Will he be ready to take over as Michael Davis moves on in 2024...?
                        Is your 2nd round 2023 EDGE ready to take over for the departing Mack in 2024...?
                        How about your 2023 RB and WR...?

Lots of moving parts...
                        You are right, good Edge drops off pretty quickly so could be a consideration if the right value is there in 1 if a guy they like drops

Whereas you could look at a Marvin Mims at 54

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think the interesting thing is that Cowboys are interested in Bijan and willing to jump in front of us.
                          I know this isn't a good argument but...
                          we've traded more for less before (Melvin Gordon comes to mind) and so it would cost us our 3rd to trade up to 17 (Pittsburgh) for Bijan.
                          I'd be comfortable if we did because that tells me staley and company see a large gap between Bijan and anyone who can feasibly be there at 21 by that time and that's very plausible imo.
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X