• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

The 2023 season was a massive-- and I *do* mean massive-- clusterfuck for just about every Charger not named Herbert, Dicker, Tuli or Mack.

I think it would be ridiculous to draw a firm negative conclusion about QJ based on his rookie season, when the overall team sucked so badly. He was not the lone mis-functioning cog in the machinery, not by a long shot.

So OF COURSE Quentin Johnston deserves a clean slate and a legit opportunity to shine. With a new (competent) coaching staff in place, he'll also be implemented in ways that serve to optimize his strengths. IMO, there are many factors in place that increase the likelihood of QJ having a respectable season, ahead. That would be a significant improvement over the 'big disappointment' rookie grade,
    QJs stats were pretty close to identicle with Davonte Adams rookie stats. Davonte wasn't a first rounder,...he was a 2nd and QJ in this draft would be a mid to late second in this one. Last year was just a weaker WR class. I'm really not worried about him. I believe he will be improved and look forward to it.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      I just want everyone to know that once re-elected, Dmac will have the Chargers open complimentary piping hot sausage roll carts every 4th aisle in the pink tailgate parking lot. Thats right - fresh hot free sausage rolls for all attendees. and not some shit chicken beak and pig lip franks, I mean real mid-west choice style pork and beef sausage

Sausage Rolls Lunch GIF by Brabant in Beelden

Its Plank 7 of my 10-point Deliver Magnificence at Chargers (DMAC) events plan. See this and other great DMAC ideas at our website and thank you for donating generously and often to my campaign.
      The draft has always been a sausage fest.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

B. Thomas would be drafted before QJ ?

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

If you have the choice to have only #5 and pick Nabers or MHJ
          or
          have a 11 and 23 with Taliese Fuaga and Brian Thomas Jr.
          What would you choose ?
          As much as I like/love the receivers, I have to do the trade down. Fuaga is a tone setter and Thomas has that speed and production. Easy choice for me.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

QJs stats were pretty close to identicle with Davonte Adams rookie stats. Davonte wasn't a first rounder,...he was a 2nd and QJ in this draft would be a mid to late second in this one. Last year was just a weaker WR class. I'm really not worried about him. I believe he will be improved and look forward to it.
            Don't think stats matter for rookies. The questions that need answers are:

1. Does he get separation
            2. Does he have good hands
            3. Does he run the full route tree

Didn't watch Adams as a rookie, not that it matters. But being in the Bay Area I did watch Jerry Rice in his rookie year. He dropped
            plenty of passes, but got good separation.

But QJ has the following issues he needs to improve on:

Break press coverage, which is going to help with getting separation. Better coaching could easily help this by lining him up
            behind the LOS to get a cleaner break. Our coaching staff last year was more or less clueless.

Better hands, get rid of the nerves.

Improve route running against zone coverages. Gotta learn to find the seams when appropriate. This should come with experience.

In the mean time we need a #1 WR.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

There are positions of need in this draft
              where we would be wise to push our luck
              and wait an extra round.

Some positions are so deep
              that we have a very good chance
              of someone falling into our lap
              while addressing other needs sooner.

We could get WRs. RBs, DBs later, maybe even OL.

Simulators are not adept at allowing for our specific thinking.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

OK. but it doesn't matter. We still need a WR. The cup board is bare after QB and Palmer. Those two alone are not going to scare anybody.
                Good teams can take away QJ, even if he develops into #1 WR. Then we are left with Palmer and nothing. Given the current circumstances
                if you don't think taking a WR in the draft is a need then you're probably kidding yourself.
                ???

Show me where I said that receiver wasn't a need for the Chargers.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

???

Show me where I said that receiver wasn't a need for the Chargers.
                  "IF YOU DON"T THINK WE NEED A WR" I didn't say your wrong, we need a WR.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Don't think stats matter for rookies. The questions that need answers are:

1. Does he get separation
                    2. Does he have good hands
                    3. Does he run the full route tree

Didn't watch Adams as a rookie, not that it matters. But being in the Bay Area I did watch Jerry Rice in his rookie year. He dropped
                    plenty of passes, but got good separation.

But QJ has the following issues he needs to improve on:

Break press coverage, which is going to help with getting separation. Better coaching could easily help this by lining him up
                    behind the LOS to get a cleaner break. Our coaching staff last year was more or less clueless.

Better hands, get rid of the nerves.

Improve route running against zone coverages. Gotta learn to find the seams when appropriate. This should come with experience.

In the mean time we need a #1 WR.
                    QJ had a TD that he dropped and he had plenty of separation. He dropped others he had seperation. If he catches those, we aren't talking about it and we aren't picking 5th.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-15-2024, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

QJ had a TD he had plenty of seperation that he dropped. He dropped others he had seperation. If he catches those, we aren't talking about it and we aren't picking 5th.
                      Even if doesn't drop those we still finish bottom 10 and still need a WR because we just lost Allen and Williams.
                      We finished 5-12 because our coaching staff stunk and by the end of the season they lost the locker room.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

QJ had a TD that he dropped and he had plenty of separation. He dropped others he had seperation. If he catches those, we aren't talking about it and we aren't picking 5th.
                        I reckon we win that Green Bay game if QJ catches that bomb. He could have run off into the sunset with that one

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          There are positions of need in this draft
                          where we would be wise to push our luck
                          and wait an extra round.

Some positions are so deep
                          that we have a very good chance
                          of someone falling into our lap
                          while addressing other needs sooner.

We could get WRs. RBs, DBs later, maybe even OL.

Simulators are not adept at allowing for our specific thinking.
                          I still think that if a trade down doesn't present itself, Edge is the best pick at #5 in this draft on account of what you are saying here...
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X