• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Yep - do you remember how Herbert was hard as nails in 2022? 4th down plays all over the place, the Raiders (almost) comeback? Staley and TT put everything all on him. . . . . . . . . . . . . . there are limits in everything. I for one have no concerns that, with just a little help, Herbert will rule again . . . .
    The greats, when the game is placed on them and they are given the responsibility of rising up, do.

I’m a Herbert fan and think he has the ability to do it but he has had opportunities to show his greatness and he’s fell short.

he’s not my favorite chargers QB of all time and probably not the second. He has a lot to prove and he has 5 seasons to prove it.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

The greats, when the game is placed on them and they are given the responsibility of rising up, do.

I’m a Herbert fan and think he has the ability to do it but he has had opportunities to show his greatness and he’s fell short.

he’s not my favorite chargers QB of all time and probably not the second. He has a lot to prove and he has 5 seasons to prove it.

You forget that he did a lot of this in his first couple of years . . . . . . . . . . . . . he wasn't at his best in 23 - no doubt, but think about all of the dead weight he had to carry; shit defense, shit OL, poor receiving corp (outside of KA), no running game, shit coaching. Last year the entire team was Herbert, KA and special teams. Most of the 'greats' at least had decent to excellent coaching; Mahomes has Reid / Spagnola, Brady had prime BB, etc. The best thing you could say about last year was that we were able to can the coaching staff and GM and replaced them with professionals, earned a high draft slot, and Herbert made it through the season without serious injury (I see the broken finger as a blessing - saved him from more punishment).

I submit that no QB, including the greats, would have done much better than Herbert last year. Look no further than the team's performance the last 5 games or so (without him) - they had zero chance of winning - no matter who the opponent was, and the entire team literally quit in the Raiders game. The negative impact of Staley / Moore cannot be emphasized enough.

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

You forget that he did a lot of this in his first couple of years . . . . . . . . . . . . . he wasn't at his best in 23 - no doubt, but think about all of the dead weight he had to carry; shit defense, shit OL, poor receiving corp (outside of KA), no running game, shit coaching. Last year the entire team was Herbert, KA and special teams. Most of the 'greats' at least had decent to excellent coaching; Mahomes has Reid / Spagnola, Brady had prime BB, etc. The best thing you could say about last year was that we were able to can the coaching staff and GM and replaced them with professionals, earned a high draft slot, and Herbert made it through the season without serious injury (I see the broken finger as a blessing - saved him from more punishment).

I submit that no QB, including the greats, would have done much better than Herbert last year. Look no further than the team's performance the last 5 games or so (without him) - they had zero chance of winning - no matter who the opponent was, and the entire team literally quit in the Raiders game. The negative impact of Staley / Moore cannot be emphasized enough.
        I mean Mahomes won a Sb with less weapons. I remember Brady having consistently journeyman Wrs. Sure we’re asking a lot and it may not be fair but when you’re up 24-0 and your defense shits the bed the greats would have bailed their team out there.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

I mean Mahomes won a Sb with less weapons. I remember Brady having consistently journeyman Wrs. Sure we’re asking a lot and it may not be fair but when you’re up 24-0 and your defense shits the bed the greats would have bailed their team out there.
          Mahomes has a defense and coaching, so did Brady. And Mahomes played like shit against Tampa in that super bowl where his Oline was decimated. Can't really compare their situations with what Herbert had to work with in 23. I too wish he had done more in the Jville game - he's not perfect by any means, but I think Harbaugh can provide some support and balance (eventually). Hopefully he can help Herbert recover from being 'Staleyed'.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Mahomes has a defense and coaching, so did Brady. And Mahomes played like shit against Tampa in that super bowl where his Oline was decimated. Can't really compare their situations with what Herbert had to work with in 23. I too wish he had done more in the Jville game - he's not perfect by any means, but I think Harbaugh can provide some support and balance (eventually). Hopefully he can help Herbert recover from being 'Staleyed'.
            I’m super hopefully that a balanced offense can help Herbert and this team win. I was never a fan of Ekeler and the lack of run game. Either way I’m very sure that those QBs didnt just get carried by their teams ala Big Ben or some others. Im still
            hopeful Herbs takes the next step, I mean we tied the franchise to him so we better be. I like Herbert and want TK see if he can elevate some of these other players.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

I’m super hopefully that a balanced offense can help Herbert and this team win. I was never a fan of Ekeler and the lack of run game. Either way I’m very sure that those QBs didnt just get carried by their teams ala Big Ben or some others. Im still
              hopeful Herbs takes the next step, I mean we tied the franchise to him so we better be. I like Herbert and want TK see if he can elevate some of these other players.
              From Day One, he was elevating Jalen Guyton and T.Billy. We saw what he did against the Raiders two years ago, repeatedly pulling the team back into the game, only to have the defense cave yet again and lose in OT. That's who Herb is, unless or until he gets beat to shit from inadequate protection.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Coaching matters. Having an elite D matters. Having a running game matters. Depth matters. Herbert is not perfect and can better but swap him and Mahomes last year and the Chargers still have a losing record and KC is still in contention for a SB.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Bilicheat,Reid.

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Coaching matters. Having an elite D matters. Having a running game matters. Depth matters. Herbert is not perfect and can better but swap him and Mahomes last year and the Chargers still have a losing record and KC is still in contention for a SB.
                    Agreed! We need an elite D & exceptional O line more than star WR's! Solid WR's are fine but we have to stay focused on what Harbaugh is going to do! Pound the rock and dominate on the O & D line! We are not looking to become the greatest show on turf.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

I cannot see anything different than trading out from 5th.
                      At the price we can fill 2 other holes and draft WR in 2nd or 3rd as this is super deep class.

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
                        I cannot see anything different than trading out from 5th.
                        At the price we can fill 2 other holes and draft WR in 2nd or 3rd as this is super deep class.
                        IF the Vikings want JJ they can't afford to play games and wait at 11! The only way we don't trade down is if MHJ is there at 5, unless the Chargers really want Nabers! However you never know Harbaugh could want to draft a player at 5 that he believes is a perfect player to him. IE Joe Alt!

trading down to get two starters seems like a good idea. I can't wait for the draft!

Comment

• Icebolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2023
                          • Send PM

All of H & H moves feel like moves for the future and not quick fixes. Draft will probably be this way also ( which is smart ). Build up the team you want over 2 years. All problems will not be solved this year ( thanks JohnBoy and TT ). I just don't see a wr being a building block. TRADE down

Comment

Working...
                          X