Clear All
  • AFboltfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2018
    • Balboa Park bench
    • Medical Simulation
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

It brings into focus the key issue which is that every body except Herbert takes the blame for the Chargers recent failures. Couple that with the change in offensive philosophy that everyone is expecting and you have to wonder whether Herbert's greatest attribute, which is his big arm, will go to waste.

the issue you're raising is his leadership which has been a question since the jump. He's a quiet nice guy and doesn't seem to be a task master. We'll see
    Especially for $150 million dollars.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Which Telesco agreed to Hortiz may or may not wish to honor that agreement post 2024 NFL season.
      Harbaugh was impressed with Herbert from afar. Let's see how he likes him hands on.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

It brings into focus the key issue which is that every body except Herbert takes the blame for the Chargers recent failures. Couple that with the change in offensive philosophy that everyone is expecting and you have to wonder whether Herbert's greatest attribute, which is his big arm, will go to waste.

the issue you're raising is his leadership which has been a question since the jump. He's a quiet nice guy and doesn't seem to be a task master. We'll see
        Herbert gets his shared of the blame but the rest of the roster didn't step up at times - whether it was offense, defense or special teams. The coaching staff was not good. The General Manager was one of the three worst in the NFL over the last 10 years

Harbaugh will do what he thinks to win games. In Herbert, he has a QB that can do a lot. Sure, he needs to improve but so does the Oline, the Dline, the running game, everything

Do you realize that from week 9 through Week 14 -when he broke his thumb, no team had more drops than the Chargers.

The defense was inconsistent; no running game, poor OLine

Fine if you want to put the burden on Herbert - but the burden can be put elsewhere. KC game - Allen and Everett had key drops; Green Bay game, Allen dropped two touchdowns, Parham dropped a couple passes, Ekeler dropped a pass, Johnston dropped a pass

If the Chargers win because Herbert hands off 45 times per game - fine by me. Granted, I think Harbaugh will figure out a way to use Herberts skill set and air it out pretty good.
        Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 03-17-2024, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Closer to $250m contract in total - guaranteed dollars like 160

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Herbert gets his shared of the blame but the rest of the roster didn't step up at times - whether it was offense, defense or special teams. The coaching staff was not good. The General Manager was one of the three worst in the NFL over the last 10 years

Harbaugh will do what he thinks to win games. In Herbert, he has a QB that can do a lot. Sure, he needs to improve but so does the Oline, the Dline, the running game, everything

Do you realize that from week 9 through Week 14 -when he broke his thumb, no team had more drops than the Chargers.

The defense was inconsistent; no running game, poor OLine

Fine if you want to put the burden on Herbert - but the burden can be put elsewhere. KC game - Allen and Everett had key drops; Green Bay game, Allen dropped two touchdowns, Parham dropped a couple passes, Ekeler dropped a pass, Johnston dropped a pass

If the Chargers win because Herbert hands off 45 times per game - fine by me. Granted, I think Herbert will figure out a way to use Herberts skill set and air it out pretty good.
            all of this.---^

Herbert needs to deliver, but this is what i saw holding him back:

1. no one gets open - how many teams did he stand in the pocket and go through 2-3 reads before he had to scramble for his life.

2. too many drops. Parham turned into butterfingers in 2023, we all know QJ, and even Keenan had some horrible drops.

3. a lot of 2-minutes drives were doomed by sacks / pressures. a few games ended with horrible sacks / pressures (Dallas? Ravens?)

4. indirectly - a shit defense always meant Herbert was climbing uphill. he did MORE than enough to win against Detroit, but we could not get a fucking stop in the second half when we needed it.

edit: 4b - no fucking run game.

the 2023 improvements:

5. I thought he scrambled and ran more effectively in 2023 - he was our leading rusher in a game or two i think.

6. he also got a little more fiery in 2023. i remember a game when he slammed the ball down after a false start or other fuck up. green bay?

Herbert ain't the problem - no way, no how.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Caleb Williams def seems like the defacto #1 now... Does that make other teams more jumpy, is a trade down something too good to pass up?
              You have a chance to get one of the top 3-4 WRs in this draft. You get them. I don't agree with those who want to trade down. Yeah, the team has a lot of flaws on the roster that need to be fixed. But not everything is going to be fixed in one off-season.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

all of this.---^

Herbert needs to deliver, but this is what i saw holding him back:

1. no one gets open - how many teams did he stand in the pocket and go through 2-3 reads before he had to scramble for his life.

2. too many drops. Parham turned into butterfingers in 2023, we all know QJ, and even Keenan had some horrible drops.

3. a lot of 2-minutes drives were doomed by sacks / pressures. a few games ended with horrible sacks / pressures (Dallas? Ravens?)

4. indirectly - a shit defense always meant Herbert was climbing uphill. he did MORE than enough to win against Detroit, but we could not get a fucking stop in the second half when we needed it.

edit: 4b - no fucking run game.

the 2023 improvements:

5. I thought he scrambled and ran more effectively in 2023 - he was our leading rusher in a game or two i think.

6. he also got a little more fiery in 2023. i remember a game when he slammed the ball down after a false start or other fuck up. green bay?

Herbert ain't the problem - no way, no how.
                Miami game - first game of the year. There was a 4th and 7 and McDaniels basically gave Staley the bird and said "you can't stop us, they didn't". Defense had a t 3rd and 18 I think where Tua got out of the pocket to complete a 40 yard throw down the field. Another 3rd and 10 in that game. One stop in that game, might have won. That was also the game JCJ made two bonehead plays

Yes, Herbert can get better but the whole team can get better so he doesn't ahve to be perfect.

KC game - throws a pass, right through Allens hands,would have moved the chains, next play sack on 3rd down and a punt.
                same KC game - throws a pass, tough catch but Everett dropped it in the end zone. Next play, tipped ball and an interception

Raiders game where he broke his finger the first time - throws a ball to Palmer that Palmer dropped - up the left sideline. Next play, forced out of the pocket, makes a bad decision and his picked off and in trying to tackle the guy, breaks a finger on left hand.

Comment

• northerner
                  Charger fan since '79
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Miami game - first game of the year. There was a 4th and 7 and McDaniels basically gave Staley the bird and said "you can't stop us, they didn't". Defense had a t 3rd and 18 I think where Tua got out of the pocket to complete a 40 yard throw down the field. Another 3rd and 10 in that game. One stop in that game, might have won. That was also the game JCJ made two bonehead plays
                  yes - the free field goal at the end of the first half i think. pass interference penalty with no time on the clock. straight up retarded.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

yes - the free field goal at the end of the first half i think. pass interference penalty with no time on the clock. straight up retarded.
                    Mia game was close but they stopped us at the end with a full D blitz and we had nothing. Much like the end of several games. Moore had bupkus plays and or protections to end games.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Idk..he hasn't had a winning instinct HC since he been here. Hec, GM either. Telesco was below average.

Yep - do you remember how Herbert was hard as nails in 2022? 4th down plays all over the place, the Raiders (almost) comeback? Staley and TT put everything all on him. . . . . . . . . . . . . . there are limits in everything. I for one have no concerns that, with just a little help, Herbert will rule again . . . .

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

There are legit, effective types of leadership OTHER than the fiery, in-your-face type. Joe Montana comes to mind as an example. Herb's aura and style remind me a lot of Joe Montana.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

You have a chance to get one of the top 3-4 WRs in this draft. You get them. I don't agree with those who want to trade down. Yeah, the team has a lot of flaws on the roster that need to be fixed. But not everything is going to be fixed in one off-season.
                          Or two off-seasons, or four. Just keep picking football players (elite ones when you can) and play the game.

Comment

Working...
                          X