• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Because this is a league with a salary cap. How money is spent matters.

There are 3 ways of acquiring talent: drafting, signing in FA, and trading. The team has to acquire enough talent to win. This team will have holes to fill in FA, it's cheaper to fill a hole at TE than WR in FA.

Why do I care if I spend my free meal coupon at Flemming's on a hamburger if it's a really good hamburger? There are lots of really good burgers out there for cheap. I can go to In N Out and get something great for under $10. But even if I decide that I want a higher quality burger I can get get that burger at Flemmings for $30.00. I could have used the coupon on the ribeye for $70 bucks. I have to eat tomorrow and now if I need a steak I spend $70 instead of $0 on it or I go to Outback and get a steak that is a much lower percentile of quality than the In N Out burger and way more expensive to boot. I would have had a much better week spending $30 on a Flemming's burger and eating a free Flemming's steak than eating a free Flemming's burger and a $30 Outback steak. I spent the same $30.
    This part i posted doesnt matter?

If we get him at 11..great! Or @ 5...... If we draft WRs in round 3 and 4 then we go from over 40+ mil for two WRs to a cheap group as a whole.

And we filled the holes. Hurst is n a 1 year deal. They can give him another year deal or sign someone else cheap. Mack wont be back.

We went from what was it,....43 mil over the cap to 33 under? Signed about 7 players in the process. Next years cap is over 100 mil. Whats the problem again?

And ill guess you had that $30 burger more than once.....but thats pretty high for a burger lol. Never been to Flemmings myself. And i go to The Habit over IN & Out as the Habit is just better imo. Costs a few bucks more, less crowd.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This part i posted doesnt matter?

If we get him at 11..great! Or @ 5...... If we draft WRs in round 3 and 4 then we go from over 40+ mil for two WRs to a cheap group as a whole.

And we filled the holes. Hurst is n a 1 year deal. They can give him another year deal or sign someone else cheap. Mack wont be back.

We went from what was it,....43 mil over the cap to 33 under? Signed about 7 players in the process. Next years cap is over 100 mil. Whats the problem again?

And ill guess you had that $30 burger more than once.....but thats pretty high for a burger lol. Never been to Flemmings myself. And i go to The Habit over IN & Out as the Habit is just better imo. Costs a few bucks more, less crowd.
      there are absolutely some great WR's in this draft... anyone drafted will be cheap for 4-5 years..... that is when those WR's will demand crazy 30 million per year on up.......so then we have to do like chiefs and get rid of them ..... only to need to draft them again... good WR's with a great QB and a great system can do almost as well.....

The great TE can be paid even in his 2nd or 3rd contract..... and they are always a matchup nightmare for defenses......

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

QJ was used incorrectly last year. Like I said he will fine, and I'm not worried about him at all.
        I wish I shared your optimism. I'm not sure how differently he could have been "used", when his troubles stemmed mostly from having butterfingers and not running crisp routes and/or getting separation. So I'm not so confident that he's gonna suddenly fix what ails him, although I'm trying to be hopeful.

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

This year... What about next year when we can sign better FA TEs or draft a slightly lower rated, but still decent TE in round 2? Kyle Pitts or Pat Friermuth and Nabers looks a lot better to me than Bowers and Zay Jones or Hunter Renfro.
          Just take Bowers and Rice this year and don't worry about next year until next year.
          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
          3a- #66 Puni OT
          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
          4a- #105 Rice WR
          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
          5- #140 Green CB
          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Bowers continues to be conflated with "tight end"
            Bowers is a mismatch, focal point of a balanced offense.
            having any other TE, traditional or flex alike, does not create redundancy.
            So you can absolutely still have a Kyle Pitts or Pat Friermuth starting alongside a Bowers.

Last night, NFLN replayed the 2021 week 15 game vs KC where Parham was seriously hurt on the first drive.
            I was at the game so this was the first time for me watching it on tv. Anyway, KC had Kelce and FB Michael Burton on the field at the same time.
            with all the attention on Kelce, Burton ripped us for a few chunk gains and a TD.
            Bowers can be Burton and/or Kelce depending on the matchup.
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• bman6555
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Our team is not 1 player away. Trade down is the best option (9, 10, 11 are the most likely spots)

Even at 11 we'd have good options as that would mean after 4 qbs we'd be guaranteed one of the following:

MHJ, Nabers, Odunze
              Bowers
              Alt
              Turner, Verse
              Or you could take your pick of CB or any other Tackle

This feels like 2021 where if you were anywhere in top 13 you got a chance for a good player as 9-13 were Surtain, Devonta Smith, Fields, Parsons, Slater.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                Bowers continues to be conflated with "tight end"
                Bowers is a mismatch, focal point of a balanced offense.
                having any other TE, traditional or flex alike, does not create redundancy.
                So you can absolutely still have a Kyle Pitts or Pat Friermuth starting alongside a Bowers.

Last night, NFLN replayed the 2021 week 15 game vs KC where Parham was seriously hurt on the first drive.
                I was at the game so this was the first time for me watching it on tv. Anyway, KC had Kelce and FB Michael Burton on the field at the same time.
                with all the attention on Kelce, Burton ripped us for a few chunk gains and a TD.
                Bowers can be Burton and/or Kelce depending on the matchup.
                And Kelce, as good as he is a TE isn't the athlete Bowers is. Watching that Tannenbaum mock I mentioned in another thread, Kiper said the exact same things about Bowers that Fleet and I have said.

Not a Kiper fan myself but if we see it, he sees it, everybody with any scouting chops should see it.

He will have to be accounted for where he is in the field. Maybe not so much year one, ..... as he needs to acclimate to the NFL,....or he adjusts quickly, but after his rookie year he will.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I completely understand that.

But we are talking about money. If he is a missing piece to the offense and a great fit....what do i care where he was picked? Point is we have him. Not my money. If we pick him @ 5 and he is great, will anyone here care? It will only matter if he isnt great from day one that posters will complain. If we get him at 11 and is he isnt Kelce from day one....i guess some will say well gee, im glad we got him at 11 instead of 5. If he is great no one will say anything.

The only difference will be his contract. 32 mil @ 5, 19-20 mil @ 11.....something like that....and of course getting an extra pick or two. Ill still say id rather get him in a trade down and get picks but at 11, he may not be there and if he is a target, then you lose and forced to go elsewhere,..which is fine, still great players there. If he isnt the target then where he goes is irrelevent to me...but i think he possibly will go 10..... or 12 if Denver cant work out a trade up...which i doubt they will. Then we face him twice a year, which would suck and Payton...im not much of a fan of his but he is creative with players.

If we win a SB, or hell yes 2 SBs in that period, who is going to give a shit where he was drafted if he was a key player in that?
                  The argument could be made there's a built in advantage having an elite tight end vs having an elite WR. Kelce makes $15 mm a year and the top receivers make $30 mm. So $15mm per year savings for the same type of weapon.

If they want to take Bowers there's plenty of reasons for doing so.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bman6555 View Post
                    Our team is not 1 player away. Trade down is the best option (9, 10, 11 are the most likely spots)

Even at 11 we'd have good options as that would mean after 4 qbs we'd be guaranteed one of the following:

MHJ, Nabers, Odunze
                    Bowers
                    Alt
                    Turner, Verse
                    Or you could take your pick of CB or any other Tackle

This feels like 2021 where if you were anywhere in top 13 you got a chance for a good player as 9-13 were Surtain, Devonta Smith, Fields, Parsons, Slater.
                    The draft will not be one player. We'll have an est 9 draft picks and 18 UDFA signings. Approx 27 players IF we pick MHJ or Nabers at 5.
                    We could go either way and win a lot of games (Hortiz and Harbaugh can find good players throughout this draft, UDFAs and FAs) but I want Herbert to feel the love when he gets an elite WR.
                    Special young QB, meet special young receiver. Sorry 'bout the old guys.
                    Go Bolts!

Comment

• bman6555
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The draft will not be one player. We'll have an est 9 draft picks and 18 UDFA signings. Approx 27 players IF we pick MHJ or Nabers at 5.
                      We could go either way and win a lot of games (Hortiz and Harbaugh can find good players throughout this draft, UDFAs and FAs) but I want Herbert to feel the love when he gets an elite WR.
                      Special young QB, meet special young receiver. Sorry 'bout the old guys.
                      Go Bolts!
                      True there are many more guys coming, but the 1st round pick(s) will be the major pieces with day 2 picks also filling the key roles.
                      Lets look at our roster, Bosa, Mack, Derwin, Herbert, Slater are all key guys for us and all were first rounders.
                      If you go back to last year and add Ekeler, Mike Williams, and Keenan Allen then it's also a UDFA, another 1st rounder, and a 3rd rounder.

Day 3 picks are largely a crap shoot and shouldn't be highly counted on.
                      So while it's not a 1 player draft, that first player is the biggest chance for a big impact player, and the day 2 picks also represent good chances for contributors. Really looking at 3 guys (unless we trade down for more picks).

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by bman6555 View Post

True there are many more guys coming, but the 1st round pick(s) will be the major pieces with day 2 picks also filling the key roles.
                        Lets look at our roster, Bosa, Mack, Derwin, Herbert, Slater are all key guys for us and all were first rounders.
                        If you go back to last year and add Ekeler, Mike Williams, and Keenan Allen then it's also a UDFA, another 1st rounder, and a 3rd rounder.

Day 3 picks are largely a crap shoot and shouldn't be highly counted on.
                        So while it's not a 1 player draft, that first player is the biggest chance for a big impact player, and the day 2 picks also represent good chances for contributors. Really looking at 3 guys (unless we trade down for more picks).
                        Day 3 with Hortiz and Harbaugh will be a different world than most are drafting in. Our HC has been scouting the draft eligible players in many cases since they were in HS. More throughout their college careers.
                        We'll find useful players through UDFAs at a higher % than average, for sure. Day 1 -2 our advantage is last year's record. That's a one time golden ticket. Use it wisely
                        Of course wisely is debatable and only time and playoff wins or losses will tell the difference. .
                        Go Bolts!

Comment

• el_jefe999
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

I feel like I've gotten annoyingly pragmatic because my favorite player in this draft is Bowers but I want them to take a player at CB/WR/OL because of the value of the position after a trade down of course!

Comment

Working...
                          X