• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Why does Bowers want to play for the Titans? Has that been established? You'd think if he had a preference it would the 49ers, him being from Napa. Or the Raiders, who used to hold training camp in Napa when they were in Oakland.

Would you rather draft Bowers at No. 5, or trade down with Atlanta for Kyle Pitts and some extra draft picks? Assuming the Falcons want a QB, would they be willing to trade Pitts, who they might see as a vital piece they need to keep if they are going to have a rookie QB.

Personally, I'm not keen on using the No. 5 pick on a TE. The best TE in the league last season was George Kittle, and he was a 5th round draft choice of the 49ers in 2017. OJ Howard, Evan Engram and David Njoku were first round picks that draft. Howard is out of the league. And while Engram and Njoku are good players they are not on Kittles level.

In 2018 the Ravens' 1st round pick was a TE, Hayden Hurst. They drafted another TE in the 3rd round - Mark Andrews, who is head over heels better than Hurst, one of the best TEs in the league.

The Falcons drafted Pitts at No. 4 in 2021. He is probably the best TE of that draft class. But the Steelers got Pat Freiermuth with the 23rd pick of the 2nd round. I'd argue that Freiermuth was the better value. As a rookie, with Ben Roethlisberger as his QB, he scored more TDs (7) than Pitts has in his entire career.

I'm just very hesitant to draft a TE at No. 5 when a guy like Ben Sinnott can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. I'd rather trade down to get more picks in rounds 2-4; a decent draft could turn the Chargers into a Lombardi contender in one season.

I won't hate it if they draft Bowers at No. 5, but I'll be disappointed if it turns out he's not the best TE in the draft.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I didn't say they needed to start him - he can be a backup and never play. He is probably better than Sarell and any number of back up OTs in the history of the roster.
      A Harbaugh-picked UDFA could play as well. Pip can takes his money and go eat cheeseburgers.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

A Harbaugh-picked UDFA could play as well. Pip can takes his money and go eat cheeseburgers.
        This is where we disagree...because he's seen as the weakest link the opposition continuously line up their best players against him. We saw how poorly the entire oline played last season so you cannot put this all on PIP. Not reserving judgement until this upcoming season. Unfortunately linemen don't grow on trees.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Why does Bowers want to play for the Titans? Has that been established? You'd think if he had a preference it would the 49ers, him being from Napa. Or the Raiders, who used to hold training camp in Napa when they were in Oakland.

Would you rather draft Bowers at No. 5, or trade down with Atlanta for Kyle Pitts and some extra draft picks? Assuming the Falcons want a QB, would they be willing to trade Pitts, who they might see as a vital piece they need to keep if they are going to have a rookie QB.

Personally, I'm not keen on using the No. 5 pick on a TE. The best TE in the league last season was George Kittle, and he was a 5th round draft choice of the 49ers in 2017. OJ Howard, Evan Engram and David Njoku were first round picks that draft. Howard is out of the league. And while Engram and Njoku are good players they are not on Kittles level.

In 2018 the Ravens' 1st round pick was a TE, Hayden Hurst. They drafted another TE in the 3rd round - Mark Andrews, who is head over heels better than Hurst, one of the best TEs in the league.

The Falcons drafted Pitts at No. 4 in 2021. He is probably the best TE of that draft class. But the Steelers got Pat Freiermuth with the 23rd pick of the 2nd round. I'd argue that Freiermuth was the better value. As a rookie, with Ben Roethlisberger as his QB, he scored more TDs (7) than Pitts has in his entire career.

I'm just very hesitant to draft a TE at No. 5 when a guy like Ben Sinnott can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. I'd rather trade down to get more picks in rounds 2-4; a decent draft could turn the Chargers into a Lombardi contender in one season.

I won't hate it if they draft Bowers at No. 5, but I'll be disappointed if it turns out he's not the best TE in the draft.

The best qb this century was Tom Brady .... qb hungry teams should jut wait it out until round 6.
          Ryan Leif, Jamarcus russell, .....

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I will say this, if Telesco wants him -- the Chargers should offer to pay half his guaranteed portion of his salary and take what you can get for him

I never understood why Telesco or the team gave him three years. One year prove it deal last year made so much more sense. Even if it was one year 6m-7m. I was really hoping one team was going to overpay for Pipkins last spring.

Devlin and Herbert have some work to do with him. Herbert with his body and Devlin with his technigue

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

In fairness to Pip, everyone on the Oline played poorly last year,
              and Pip had a number of health issues.

Harbaugh will assess his 2022 tape, look into his medical issues and then personally interact with him and test him to see if there is any fire in that belly.'

Remember the story about Harbaugh introducing himself to Alex Smith where they were playing catch and Harbaugh started throwing hard balls?
              Methinks Harbaugh was testing his competitiveness.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

TE is one of those positions where it typically takes several years to become elite if ever.
                and it's discouraging to see multiple elite TE prospects disappoint.
                I can only speculate on why those and other trends around the position exist.
                wts, neither are good arguments against picking Bowers specifically at 5 for specifically us.
                He projects to be elite at a PON, and if Kelce was Kelce-today coming out of the draft, even back then, he would deserve to get picked top 5, same with Kittle, Gronk, Andrews should have been a first rounder etc.
                so we shouldn't compare value. So what if KC got Kelece on day 3? Good for them, it doesn't mean we should ever expect to have to replicate that great value. We already did anyway with UDFA Gates.
                so what if we have to burn a top 5 pick on an elite TE, so long as we fully believe he can meet expectations.
                I don't see people avoiding top 5 wide receivers because we got Keenan Allen in the 3rd.
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  TE is one of those positions where it typically takes several years to become elite if ever.
                  and it's discouraging to see multiple elite TE prospects disappoint.
                  I can only speculate on why those and other trends around the position exist.
                  wts, neither are good arguments against picking Bowers specifically at 5 for specifically us.
                  He projects to be elite at a PON, and if Kelce was Kelce-today coming out of the draft, even back then, he would deserve to get picked top 5, same with Kittle, Gronk, Andrews should have been a first rounder etc.
                  so we shouldn't compare value. So what if KC got Kelece on day 3? Good for them, it doesn't mean we should ever expect to have to replicate that great value. We already did anyway with UDFA Gates.
                  so what if we have to burn a top 5 pick on an elite TE, so long as we fully believe he can meet expectations.
                  I don't see people avoiding top 5 wide receivers because we got Keenan Allen in the 3rd.
                  I think the top 3 receivers in this years draft are blue chip. No questions need to be asked. If there was a DB like Sauce Gardner in this years draft I would even take him before Bowers. I just don't see Bowers as this Monster player at the NFL level.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Chargers8491
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2022
                    • Send PM

This is the diffence between an 3rd round pick and a 1st round pick:

Travis Kelce:
                    Travis Kelce College Stats, School, Draft, Gamelog, Splits | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Brock Bowers:
                    Brock Bowers College Stats, School, Draft, Gamelog, Splits | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
                    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                    3a- #66 Puni OT
                    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                    4a- #105 Rice WR
                    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                    5- #140 Green CB
                    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

This is where we disagree...because he's seen as the weakest link the opposition continuously line up their best players against him. We saw how poorly the entire oline played last season so you cannot put this all on PIP. Not reserving judgement until this upcoming season. Unfortunately linemen don't grow on trees.

Not putting it all on him, never said or even implied it. His play is what it is, rarely adequate but mostly subpar and no where near worth his contract $$$. He’s five years into the league at this point, not sure what more there is to “develop” with him, he is physically and mentally what he is…a guy you move on from. Keeping him in the locker room at his price but not starting does not seem to be a Harbaugh thing to do, sure doesn’t send the message we keep hoping Harbaugh communicates to the players.

2024, the Year of Zero Coddling.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I think the top 3 receivers in this years draft are blue chip. No questions need to be asked. If there was a DB like Sauce Gardner in this years draft I would even take him before Bowers. I just don't see Bowers as this Monster player at the NFL level.
                        Yep, totally agree. 👍

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

And that's fair. I'm just responding to the bad reasons to avoid BB. I would love any 3 of those WRs if were talking about the same ones.
                          sauce type cb? Ya I'm in over Bowers.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

Working...
                          X