• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chargers8491
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I'd draft him a second, toward the bottom of the first or in the top 3 picks of the 2nd round.
    I don't think he will make it that far.
    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
    3a- #66 Puni OT
    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
    4a- #105 Rice WR
    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
    5- #140 Green CB
    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

You are cherry-picking one example.

All of the league's best QBs today were picked in the top half of the first round.

All of the league's best TEs were picked in the 2nd round or later. Kelce (3rd), Kittle (5th), Andrews (3rd), LaPorta (2nd)...
      That was then, this is now. And none of them were as good in college as Bowers was. Every draft is different.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Bowers in his last season played in 10 games and Kelce 13. Bowers had ankle surgery last year. 1 inch and 20 lbs isn't that big of deal plus Bowers I'm sure is faster than Kelce but we will see official numbers at the combine.
        Didnt Kelce run 4.7?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

For their college career. Bowers obviously has the numbers.
          However in their final college season before entering draft ....
          722yds and 8 TDs on 45 touches for Kelce is a little better production per touch than 742yds and 7 TDs on 62 touches for Bowers.
          ​​​​​
          Travis is also 6'5 250.

Bowers is suppose to be 6'4 230.
          He looks a bit smaller to me.
          ​​​
          I just don't see Top 5, 10 or even 15 player.
          And I know I'm one of the few that have him outside top 10.
          But I just don't see special. I see a really good football player who after pick #15 would be worth drafting.
          First I have heard of Bowers being 230

Comment

• Chargers8491
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Didnt Kelce run 4.7?
            2b- #37 Jenkins DT
            3a- #66 Puni OT
            3b- #69 Sainristill CB
            4a- #105 Rice WR
            4b- #110 Lloyd RB
            5- #140 Green CB
            6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

If Bowers is drafted in the top 5, he had better be the best TE in the league by his 2nd season. I think that is too premium of a draft pick to spend on a TE. Chances are he won't even be the best TE in his class. The best TE in the 2023 draft was the 2nd TE picked - Sam LaPorta, with the 2nd pick of the 2nd round.

The Bills made Dalton Kincaid the first TE off the board, at No. 25 overall. Kincaid had a solid rookie season, but he was not as good as LaPorta. Last year at this time, there was a big hard-on on this forum for Michael Mayer in the 1st round. Mayer ended up going one pick after LaPorta, high in the 2nd round, but he was just OK as a rookie. Maybe he takes a leap forward next season if the Raiders draft a QB, but I don't think he's as good as everyone here thought he was in the lead up to last year's draft.

In 2022 the Cardinals made Trey McBride the first TE off the board, at No. 55 in the 2nd round. He was solid in 2023 with more than 100 grabs and 3 TDs. But he is not the best TE in the 2022 draft - the Cowboys' Jake Ferguson is. Ferguson is 6-5, 244 lbs, the Cowboys got him in the 4th round, No. 129 overall.

I'm just saying, again, the first TE drafted does not usually end up being the best TE of his draft class. And if they draft Bowers at No. 5 he'd better be the best TE in the draft, and the best TE in the league by his 2nd season.

I believe the Chargers are better off in this draft trading down with a QB-needy team and stockpile picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds and draft a good TE in one of those rounds while filling some other needs as well.
              You are comparing apples to oranges. There is no TE in this class remotely close to Bowers.

Last year was the best and deepest TE class in 10 years, so it is far more possible and logicol the 2nd drafted TE had a better season than the fist drafted TE. Kincaid will still be a stud and wont always have a good TE in Knox to share snaps with. LaPorta had no one.

As good as last years TE class was, Bowers would have been drafted well ahead of any of them, he looked NFL ready as a freshman.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                There is no TE in this class remotely close to Bowers.
                You can't say that with any degree of certainty at all. Maybe he is that good, he could be. But as I demonstrated above, the first TEs drafted tend not to be the best TE of their draft class - that is a fact. No. 5 overall is too high IMO for a TE, unless he's 6-6, 260 lbs, dominates at the point of the catch like Antonio Gates, and runs a sub 4.4 40. Bowers has WR-like skills, but I don't know if that will make him a great TE in the NFL. Maybe. But I won't be surprised that, even if he's good, he's not the best TE in his class. And #5 overall is too high.

The best thing for a team that is drafting in the top 5 but already has a franchise QB is to trade down.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Comment

• Chargers8491
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2022
                    • Send PM

You can't say that with any degree of certainty at all. Maybe he is that good, he could be. But as I demonstrated above, the first TEs drafted tend not to be the best TE of their draft class - that is a fact. No. 5 overall is too high IMO for a TE, unless he's 6-6, 260 lbs, dominates at the point of the catch like Antonio Gates, and runs a sub 4.4 40. Bowers has WR-like skills, but I don't know if that will make him a great TE in the NFL. Maybe. But I won't be surprised that, even if he's good, he's not the best TE in his class. And #5 overall is too high.

The best thing for a team that is drafting in the top 5 but already has a franchise QB is to trade down.
                    Honest question, What is more important, measurables or production?
                    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                    3a- #66 Puni OT
                    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                    4a- #105 Rice WR
                    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                    5- #140 Green CB
                    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

I dont have a problem trading down. In fact it is the smartest move for this roster.

I am just saying if we cant trade down, and draft at 5, I want an elite weapon like Bowers or Nabers over Alt. You mentioned we have a franchise QB. I just want to remind that our franchise QB has no dynamic weapons on his plodding offense that get YAC or explosive plays. Might not be a bad idea to grab an elite one while you are this high in the draft. We all know this regime will be drafting OL every draft from now on. Pleanty of opportunities to improve on Pipkins. In the meantime we are stuck with his salary next year anyways

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Honest question, What is more important, measurables or production?
                        It's not a relevant question because Brock Bowers has not produced anything in the NFL. Just because he was productive in college does not mean he's going to be productive in the NFL. Quentin Johnston was more productive than Bowers in his final year of college.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

It's not a relevant question because Brock Bowers has not produced anything in the NFL. Just because he was productive in college does not mean he's going to be productive in the NFL. Quentin Johnston was more productive than Bowers in his final year of college.
                          So basically, when you are evaluating a player you just look at measurables and don't care what they do in college? I mean no one in the draft has done nothing in the NFL.
                          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                          3a- #66 Puni OT
                          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                          4a- #105 Rice WR
                          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                          5- #140 Green CB
                          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

Working...
                          X