• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Most fans would rather have more good players (a better middle class) but it's the elite players that really make a difference. The teams with the most blue chip players tend to consistently be the best teams. So no way you pass up 1 blue chip for 2 good. The problem is the evaluation of blue chip is usually wrong otherwise we'd have no blue chip players after the first few picks of the draft. "Good" players and a good middle class can easily be filled in via veteran free agency but you don't have many opportunities to get blue chips. One thing that does hold true is in hindsight it's almost always best to go best player available regardless of need.
    And the consensus with this draft is that BPA will be at WR…a position of massive need. So when those two things line up, stick and pick.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

I'm not sure about that personally I haven't looked at the Oline much but I think Bowers is the most likely hall of famer in this class I've seen and likely there at #5. I think the only thing that can prevent him from being that is injuries. He was a 1 man offensive army in the toughest conference in football and he's been that way literally ever since he stepped foot on campus as a freshman. But there are plenty of reasons teams can convince themselves to draft someone else - team needs and salary concerns to name a few. Then Hortiz drafted Hayden Hurst in the 1st round, probably likes him, and he is a pretty good player. So I think if they don't trade down they'll take Nabers. I really like Nabers but Bowers = almost surefire blue chip.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

The Chargers are in a great position.
        You pick a Marvin Harrison type of wr at 5 and that's it for the 1st round.
        Or you trade down and pick a T. Kelce and a D. James type in 1st round.
        I would take Kelce and James.
        Blue chips are not exclusivly taken in the top 10 !

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

If you like Bowers get him after a trade down. He’ll be cheaper and you’ll get extra compensation. All indications are that by year 2 MHJ is a top 10 receiver in the league. And Nabers is a higher floor/higher ceiling guy, but he’s a monster. These might very well be two of the three best receiving prospects since 2016.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

People keep bringing up KC having won two super bowls without a top WR. First, their defense is now elite. Second, their offense struggled plenty without a legit WR.
            Last edited by Parcells; 03-31-2024, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Geezbolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Sun Valley, ID
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
              If you like Bowers get him after a trade down. He’ll be cheaper and you’ll get extra compensation. All indications are that by year 2 MHJ is a top 10 receiver in the league. And Nabers is a higher floor/higher ceiling guy, but he’s a monster. These might very well be two of the three best receiving prospects since 2016.
              Listening to Money Smith and Lo Neal's podcast yesterday, they kind of echoed what you're saying. If I heard right, to take Bowers at #5 would make him the 3rd or 4th highest paid TE in the league, on his rookie contract. OTOH, top WR's are currently getting $20-30 million. It would make much more sense to take MHJ, or even Nabers at #5 and have one them on a rookie contract for 4 years. Smith also said if MHJ is there at #5, you take him, period. If not, you entertain trade offers. He's not opposed to taking Nabers at #5, but dosn't feel he's as polished yet as MHJ.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

People keep bringing up KC having won two super bowls without a top WR. First, their defense is now elite. Second, there offense struggled plenty without a legit WR.
                Yeah but. .....they won a SB. ..back to back. They for it done. That struggling offense has 2 championships.

One unit needs to be elite and defense stills wins championships and forces rule changes to favor offense.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post

Listening to Money Smith and Lo Neal's podcast yesterday, they kind of echoed what you're saying. If I heard right, to take Bowers at #5 would make him the 3rd or 4th highest paid TE in the league, on his rookie contract. OTOH, top WR's are currently getting $20-30 million. It would make much more sense to take MHJ, or even Nabers at #5 and have one them on a rookie contract for 4 years. Smith also said if MHJ is there at #5, you take him, period. If not, you entertain trade offers. He's not opposed to taking Nabers at #5, but dosn't feel he's as polished yet as MHJ.
                  That is false. He would be in the middle of the league. Ive posted that list twice now.

Man if you have a podcast, research goes a long ways to credibility.

I'll post it again.
                  Bowers cap hit would be right above Conklin on that list. At 5 his total contract would be 32 mil so you can see the others there.

Id think Smith would be better than that and this is why I dont really listen to other nobody podcasters much. Only here and there.
                  Lazyness and I can research better myself lol. But sometimes I don't want to unless something sounds fishy.

Ranking the top NFL Tight End contracts and salaries in the NFL
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-29-2024, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Sun Valley, ID
                    • Send PM

Don't hang Smith out to dry yet . I did qualify it by saying, "If I heard right", and at 73 years of age, it's always a possibility I didn't . I'll go back and listen to it again. I think the point though is still valid that, strictly from a business standpoint, taking a top WR at #5 and having them on a rookie contract for 4 years is preferable to taking a TE at #5 making the same money.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

If you want Bowers in a trade down scenario, you have to deal with ATL or CHI.
                      At 10, NYJ will greet him with open arms.
                      Can you imagine a deal with CHI ? They could get C. Williams and M. Harrison jr.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                        Don't hang Smith out to dry yet . I did qualify it by saying, "If I heard right", and at 73 years of age, it's always a possibility I didn't . I'll go back and listen to it again. I think the point though is still valid that, strictly from a business standpoint, taking a top WR at #5 and having them on a rookie contract for 4 years is preferable to taking a TE at #5 making the same money.
                        Smith isn't the only one ive heard say that as I've said I've posted that list a couple times..... so you probably did hear it right. Just thought Smith would be more on the ball.
                        But I've mis spoke on things before so it happens.

​​second contracts for TEs are cheaper than for WRs.

If they ball out equally....in 4 years
                        Bowers may be 4 years 68-70 mil.
                        MHJ/Nabers may be 4 years 140 mil

Will Hortiz pay that? Idk his habits yet.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That is false. He would be in the middle of the league. Ive posted that list twice now.

Man if you have a podcast, research goes a long ways to credibility.

I'll post it again.
                          Bowers cap hit would be right above Conklin on that list. At 5 his total contract would be 32 mil so you can see the others there.

Id think Smith would be better than that and this is why I dont really listen to other nobody podcasters much. Only here and there.
                          Lazyness and I can research better myself lol. But sometimes I don't want to unless something sounds fishy.

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end
                          Money has a steady supply of hot air.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X