Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    I would pick Cook over Nix in a heartbeat.

If there's one priority need on D, its OLB. And if there's one priority need on O, it's WR. Both sides of the ball have other needs, sure, but I expect TT to be looking to pick an elite OLB or WR at 25, hopefully we get one or the other.
    Slight quibble. At the end of the season, I would have agreed that our priority on D is OLB, and I still consider it an extremely high priority. But, given off-season activity, I think CB has become the higher priority.
    Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Not sure I would take Cooks over Nix if he's available. While I love Cooks, I am a firm believer that we need to have a very strong D line to have long term success. Nix clearly would add to that young line we have. In fact my ideal draft has us going D line back to back with our picks - NT or OLB.

We simply have to get better defensively. I think CB's are easier to acquire a bit later in the draft vs. D lineman who seem to only be elite when drafted early.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

But not all early round draft picks work out and become elite players, most don't. The big problem with Nix is that he can't close on college QB's. Even if develops great moves, if he gets past his guy, he can't finish the QB.

Also, from (http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap.php), here is what that player is going to get (probably somewhat more, since the numbers just go up).
        2013 draft
        pick....Team........Bonus........2013..........201 4..........2015............2016
        25......Vikings.....$4,057,456..$1,419,364..$1,774 ,205..$2,129,046...$2,483,887

That is a lot of money for a guy who is only going to play limited reps and not going to help rush the QB. I just can't see the guy playing his way on the field. And even if he is a great NT, what prevents the other team from running around him or passing? 1st round DL, to really have an impact, need to be multi dimensional. Now, if we had just not spent any money or high picks at DE, then I would say sign him, bring the DL on in waves, and go after the biggest run stuffers we can find and just beat the hell out of the OL. But we didn't do that, so that ship has sailed.

If he is truely best available, fine. But if he is best available D, then the theory falls apart, doesn't it? You can't just cherry pick BPA. The theory behind it says you want the best player and don't want to be left behind in the long term.

Plus, I really do think given the mocks that I keep seeing, that some other guys are there. Plus, like I said before, I don't think Nix is even going to be an option at 25. There are teams that don't have 2 DL who can play, and Nix would make a fine interior DT next to some 3 technique guy (like Houston). And the Bears run D was so awful.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

I agree he likely won't be there, that's why I've been looking at the CB's more and more. I also don't think the top OLB's will be on the board given how so many teams have dumped vet pass rushers.

We can theoretically take a CB (Fuller), OLB (Van Noy), NT (DaQuan Jones) with our first 3 picks. Then dip back in at CB or go WR.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            I agree he likely won't be there, that's why I've been looking at the CB's more and more. I also don't think the top OLB's will be on the board given how so many teams have dumped vet pass rushers.

We can theoretically take a CB (Fuller), OLB (Van Noy), NT (DaQuan Jones) with our first 3 picks. Then dip back in at CB or go WR.
            I'd be very happy with that draft.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Wow. Agree we need better D, but what lost us games last season was the O - specifically not having playmakers who can punch it in the EZ. If TT can find another 1st round talent like Allen in a later round, power to him. But we don't have a very needed receiving threat opposite Allen, and not addressing it would seem to mean more losses, cuz we just can't score when we need to (or have opportunity, like with all those red zones trips that fizzled) yet.

Still a building team, too many "needs", too few draft picks.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I'm just not sure that Van Noy is an OLB in our scheme. I just am not sure he has the frame and skills to be a good rush LB. I think he can be an ILB for us.

I'm not against the idea of going D first, but we still have needs on the offensive side of the ball, so if the right offensive guys are there, if they are the pseudo BPA, I find it hard to pass on them.

Blue, the thing I think we need to differentiate between is "wants" and "needs". In my mind, we really have few "needs". At this point, we really only need a CB, since we haven't resign Marshall. But that doesn't mean that I don't desperately want to upgrade the WR spot opposite Allen, it just becomes more of a want.
                Last edited by Steve; 03-12-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  Wow. Agree we need better D, but what lost us games last season was the O - specifically not having playmakers who can punch it in the EZ. If TT can find another 1st round talent like Allen in a later round, power to him. But we don't have a very needed receiving threat opposite Allen, and not addressing it would seem to mean more losses, cuz we just can't score when we need to (or have opportunity, like with all those red zones trips that fizzled) yet.

Still a building team, too many "needs", too few draft picks.
                  I see Ladarius Green filling in more of that EZ go to guy this year. I keep seeing that TD pass in the playoffs and see many more to come. He's a complete mismatch for any defender if he can polish up his route running.

I agree we need another WR, but I think we can get a starting caliber one in the later rounds this year in particular.

Comment

• CTrout
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

For those of us who think WR is a major need, this FA period couldn't be going any better.
                    So far they have been completely ignored. You'd have to think at some point these guys
                    are going to take whatever they can get. Probably much less then most expected.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Yeah. Not many teams looking to add from this weak crop of FA WR with such a strong and deep WR draft.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                        For those of us who think WR is a major need, this FA period couldn't be going any better.
                        So far they have been completely ignored. You'd have to think at some point these guys
                        are going to take whatever they can get. Probably much less then most expected.
                        None of the FA WR particularly excite me. Best case scenario would be Floyd being able to play. Kinda like Jones. Smith would be interesting. Really think TT is focusing on the draft for WR.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I'm just not sure that Van Noy is an OLB in our scheme. I just am not sure he has the frame and skills to be a good rush LB. I think he can be an ILB for us.

I'm not against the idea of going D first, but we still have needs on the offensive side of the ball, so if the right offensive guys are there, if they are the pseudo BPA, I find it hard to pass on them.

Blue, the thing I think we need to differentiate between is "wants" and "needs". In my mind, we really have few "needs". At this point, we really only need a CB, since we haven't resign Marshall. But that doesn't mean that I don't desperately want to upgrade the WR spot opposite Allen, it just becomes more of a want.
                          Looking at how the season finished up, and that right now we are returning the same core group of receivers that was playing for us towards the end, seems WR is more need than want - if going deep into the post season is the goal.

That said, it's still very early in FA, and as others have pointed out, vet WRs are still out there...

And as much as I like Green's potential, waiting for him (and Brown) to polish up his route running is starting to feel like waiting for BD to get healthy. Love to see us bring in a vet and draft a WR, high to mid round. Just to get us in 2014 where we're average in red zone scores. Cuz that would be swell.

Comment

Working...
                          X