• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

I've been reading about Demarcus Lawrence OLB for Boise St. Anyone watch him play? Pagano was at his pro day scouting the guy. Some people have mentioned him as a potential 1st rounder, but likely 2nd round pick.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      I've been reading about Demarcus Lawrence OLB for Boise St. Anyone watch him play? Pagano was at his pro day scouting the guy. Some people have mentioned him as a potential 1st rounder, but likely 2nd round pick.
      I've been kind of glued on to him a little too.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        He looks like a Raider to me.
        Punching Ohio State fans is like punching Raider fans; it shouldn't really count in the court of law cause they aren't people.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Michael Sam has done all he can
          Pro day was positive, but he can't truly prove himself until he gets on field
          Originally Published: March 20, 2014
          By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com

Pretty Good Day For Michael Sam

Bill Polian breaks down DE Michael Sam's performance at his pro day.

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- If Michael Sam wants to be known solely as a football player -- instead of the first openly gay player to possibly compete in the NFL -- he's moving closer to that goal with each passing week. That's the biggest takeaway from Sam's pro day workout at Missouri on Thursday afternoon. The vibe around that event had less to do with Sam's sexuality and more to do with how he would perform after a disastrous effort at last month's scouting combine. He came away with more encouraging results Thursday but still failed to answer all the questions that hover around his ability.

Michael Sam hit 30 inches on his vertical jump at Missouri's pro day after registering 25.5 inches at the combine.
          What we now know about Michael Sam is that he can run the 40-yard dash faster than he did in Indianapolis (he timed in at 4.72 on Thursday as compared to 4.91 at the combine). He also gained a bit more strength (his bench press of 225 pounds increased from 17 to 19 reps) and displayed a lot more heart (he did the vertical jump, leaping 30 inches, after tweaking a hamstring that prevented him from running a second 40 or participating in the broad jump and three-cone and shuttle drills). Sam even seemed to be enjoying the process far more than he did at Indianapolis. While he looked tense and emotionally exhausted at the combine, he was jovial and enthusiastic inside his school's indoor facility, even after sustaining his injury.

It was a decent rebound for Sam in the pre-draft evaluation process, but the reality is that his NFL dreams will not be decided by what he does in a T-shirt and shorts. It will hinge on what Sam does when he actually faces real competition. We've reached the point where we officially can say that Sam is an ordinary athlete at best. His test in the coming months is to prove to some team that his lack of freakish talent doesn't mean he can't contribute at the next level.

"He's dealt with it like he's supposed to," said New York Jets defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, who played with Sam at Missouri. "He brought it on himself. I told him I would've waited until after the combine [to come out] because the teams had the reports already. ... If he's drafted or not, that's up to the [teams]. But if you respect him as a football player and respect his game, then you'll like what you see on film."

The biggest positive for Sam coming out of his pro day was that 40-yard dash time. As one AFC scout said, "He definitely didn't hurt himself by running a faster time. But the thing you keep wondering about is 'fit.' You still don't know whether he can play [as a 3-4 outside linebacker or a 4-3 defensive end]." Another AFC scout added: "I was at the Senior Bowl, and that wasn't pretty for him. This was a little better."

Sam likely won't have any other opportunities to enhance his stock based on his physical skills. He's not considered a high enough prospect to believe that he'll be invited in for personal workouts. Whether he even gets drafted still remains a real question. His 40 time aside, he still lacks the explosiveness that teams covet in a player who already is undersized for his position at 6-foot-2 and 256 pounds.

Sam's best chance of finding a home in the NFL comes down to the same quality that helped him become a star at Mizzou: his relentless work ethic. He went from being an unheralded, lightly recruited high school prospect to being an All-American and SEC Defensive Player of the Year in 2013. The fact that Sam did all that despite not having eye-popping ability is something he should sell as a major positive. He turned himself into a player by making the most of the opportunities afforded to him.
          I think he made himself draftable with his workout, although I'd still only take him as a UDFA.
          Last edited by Formula 21; 03-20-2014, 11:22 PM.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Geezbolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Sun Valley, ID
            • Send PM

I watched every one of his games the past two years. Knows how to get to the QB. Quick and talented. I think Chris Peterson suspended him for a game or two in 2012 so there is a small red flag there. To his credit though he seemed to get the message and there were no problems in 2013. I expected his stock to rise. He's a little light but looks like he can gain some weight without losing speed. He was really the heart of the Boise State defense and I would say he has a lot of upside.

Comment

• pigskin
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Southern Oregon
              • Send PM

Mock from Walter football: http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

1/25 San Diego Chargers: Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
              Tom Telesco has to improve the Chargers' pass rush. That is the big priority for San Diego's offseason needs. The team needs someone who can consistently get to the quarterback.

The 6-foot-3, 273-pounder displayed some natural pass-rushing and play-making ability during his collegiate career. Crichton is strong for his size and has a burst around the edge. In 2013, he recorded 47 tackles with 19 tackles for a loss, 7.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes batted. Crichton was more disruptive than the numbers indicate. He didn't notch a sack against Oregon, but was constantly pressuring Marcus Mariota and causing lots of disruption.

Crichton turned in an impressive 2012 season with nine sacks, 17 tackles for a loss, 44 tackles and a forced fumble. He recorded six sacks, 14.5 tackles for a loss, six forced fumbles and 74 tackles as a redshirt freshman in 2011.

2/57 San Diego Chargers: Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
              The Chargers could use more receiver talent for Philip Rivers. Adams and Keenan Allen would form a nice duo.

The 6-foot-1, 212-pound Adams has a good combination of size and speed. He was extremely reliable for Derek Carr and gets open via quickness, size and route-running. In 2013, Adams dominated with 131 receptions for 1,718 yards and 24 touchdowns. He was one of the best receivers in college football. Adams has the ability to make receptions over defenders with the skills to get separation. As a freshman in 2012, he had 102 catches for 1,312 yards and 14 scores

3/89 San Diego Chargers: Craig Loston, S, LSU
              San Diego could use a safety to pair with Eric Weddle. Loston would be a nice complement at strong safety.

Loston (5-11, 217) replaced Brandon Taylor in the starting lineup in 2012 and had a solid debut. Loston was named a Second-Team All-SEC selection after making 55 tackles, three tackles for a loss, one pass broken up and three interceptions.

The Tigers game-planned for the senior to lead their secondary this year after losing Eric Reid to the NFL. Loston was much better in 2013 and has the potential to rise up draft boards. In 2013, he recorded 57 tackles, three passes broken up, three interceptions and four tackles for a loss. Loston didn't play well against Georgia, but had good games against Florida, Alabama, Texas A&M and Iowa.

4/121 San Diego Chargers: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
              The Chargers could use more talent at corner.

The 5-foot-11, 186-pound Colvin could have been a second-day pick, but he blew out his knee at the Senior Bowl. Colvin racked up 55 tackles with five tackles for a loss, one sack, one interception and three passes broken up in 2013. He also caused an interception against Notre Dame with a deflected pass. Teams avoided throwing his direction and picked on Zach Sanchez.

Colvin was very good for Oklahoma in 2012. He was a quality cover corner and showcased some ball skills. Colvin totaled 61 tackles with 11 passes broken up and four interceptions. The junior had his share of wins and held his own against West Virginia's speedy receivers

5/153 San Diego Chargers: Charles Leno, G/OT, Boise State
              The Chargers could use another tackle. They got surprisingly good play out of King Dunlap in 2013, but should develop another option.

Leno was a solid blocker for Boise State. He has nice athleticism and agility. Leno could use more punch at the point of attack for the NFL. The 6-foot-4, 303-pounder would be a better fit at guard. He played left tackle for the Broncos.

Comment

• Kyle
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I've been seeing a lot of the same players in mock drafts in our cluster around #25. Surprised that some of these guys are still there. Just shows what a deep draft it is.

1. Dee Ford has been hovering around mid 20's. Competing with Ealy for 2nd best DE after Clowney. He was awesome in the Senior Bowl. Has the speed to get after option QB's.

2. Louis Nix has been my preferred pick for awhile now. Would be an immediate upgrade over Thomas.

3. Stephen Tuitt has been rising, in front of Nix in some mocks which cite better range and ability vs. double teams. Has the versatility to play 3 spots in the 3-4.

4. Marquise Lee - I'm not thrilled with a WR in the 1st, but he'd improve the offense.

5. Kony Ealy - Didn't see any Missouri games this year but it's impressive he had 9 sacks when teams are game planning for him.

6. Kelvin Benjamin - Not a burner but his size/speed combination is still pretty impressive.

I've always wanted Nix, but I'd be thrilled with Ford.
                Last edited by Kyle; 03-22-2014, 02:31 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

• rikardo
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Marqise Lee is my number one WR. Even ahead of Watkins...
                  I would Only pass him if one of the top two CB are there.
                  Last edited by rikardo; 03-22-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

That Walter football mock is terrible aside from Devante Adams. I like Colvin, but not in the 4th. He probably doesn't even play this year. 6th round flier on a potential starter? Yes. And taking a S in the 3rd? Brutal.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

This is a great Walter draft. You would have to find a spot for Van Noy but i like the 2 CBs in the 3rd/4th and James in the 5th would be a steal. That wont happen. But its a good draft. Still think WR is going to happen in this draft.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                        This is a great Walter draft. You would have to find a spot for Van Noy but i like the 2 CBs in the 3rd/4th and James in the 5th would be a steal. That wont happen. But its a good draft. Still think WR is going to happen in this draft.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php
                        Don't know much about those CB's, but I would love a Nix/OLB combo with our two first picks. We have to beef up the D line. I think the 5th round is a perfect spot for a OT/OG guy that can provide depth on the line.

Would be tough to pass on Moncrief in the 3rd round though. That's a tough decision given our needs at CB.

I would love if we could somehow acquire another 3rd/4th rounder this year. Here's hoping a few of the QB's drop to the bottom of the round and teams want to move in front of Cleveland to grab one.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Don't know much about those CB's, but I would love a Nix/OLB combo with our two first picks. We have to beef up the D line. I think the 5th round is a perfect spot for a OT/OG guy that can provide depth on the line.

Would be tough to pass on Moncrief in the 3rd round though. That's a tough decision given our needs at CB.

I would love if we could somehow acquire another 3rd/4th rounder this year. Here's hoping a few of the QB's drop to the bottom of the round and teams want to move in front of Cleveland to grab one.
                          I didnt even look at the other picks Moncrief would have to be the pick in the 3rd. But he wont be there. Hes a 2nd rounder who wouldnt shock me to see in the back of the 1st. Id rather have him over guys like Benjamin and Beckham.

Comment

Working...
                          X