• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yubaking
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I guess you missed my earlier discussion in which the size difference between Verrett and Revis was addressed in greater detail.

To address some of your points, the information I have is that Verrett came in at 69 inches even while Revis came in at 71.375 inches. Verrett's arms are 30.625 inches and Revis' arms are 32.375 inches. The difference in length is 4.125 inches. I previously represented that difference as 4", so it appears that I may have even slightly understated it.

Further, Revis is about 15+ pounds heavier and simply has a bigger body than Verrett does.

For the above reasons, I do not see Verrett and Revis as presenting similar body types in terms of the range of NFL CBs. Verrett is plainly a small CB, both in height and in body type, whereas Revis is an average sized CB.

I agree with you that a small size advantage held by a WR against a CB may not matter all that much. What I am talking about is the possibility that a big size advantage might matter. In the passing game, the smaller CB, even if he is standing right next to the WR, cannot cover the entire catch radius of the larger receiver. Also, the larger receiver can use his body to shield. These advantages are significantly reduced when we change from a small player with Verrett's size to a player with average CB size like Revis.

I don't think Verrett will have much size related difficulty defending average or smaller receivers, but there is the one area of potential weakness against the bigger receivers.

Also, and I do not think this has been discussed enough, Verrett's small size and short arm length is likely to hurt him against the run, especially against bigger, stronger and more adept run blocking WRs.

These are legitimate concerns that should downgrade a player that would otherwise be a first round pick to being a second round pick. Seriously, I will be shocked if anyone takes Verrett in the first round. I think he represents value in the second round.
    Last edited by Yubaking; 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
      The difference in length is 4.125 inches.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
        I would have nightmares if Telesco attempted to bring that soft, pussy Colts type dumb ass Tampa-2 defense to our team. The thought of watching other teams shove it up our asses on the ground in the playoffs like teams did so many times to those Colts teams disgusts me. The approach is just about 180 degrees opposite of the big, physical and intimidating defense I would want us to have.
        Like the Steelers big physical intimidating D that struggled to defend pass oriented teams? There is a reason most teams don't try to mimic what the Steelers did, and that is because you can't find that many guys who are big physical, quick and fast enough to play in the NFL well.

In another post you mention wanting a D like we had in 2006. There is nothing wrong with it that some updates in scheme wouldn't fix. But the fact that we really don't have the personnel to play that D is a major liability. And I don't see any of the pieces to that D in this draft. Short on DL in general, but especially in Jamal type DT and pass rushing OLB. Plus, that D got assembled over several years, so it really wouldn't happen overnight.

The NFL is becoming even more pass oriented then it was back then, so even if we had the same personnel, we wouldn't play the same way we did back then. The game changes and we have to stay ahead of the curve.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

4" inches on a almost 6 tall human being on a pass being thrown 30-40 yards in the air (not yards from scrimmage) against players who are moving in 3 dimensions, and not fully extended in any direction? Go review your geometry and kinesiology, because it doesn't make a difference.

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
            Now that's funny!

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              4" inches on a almost 6 tall human being on a pass being thrown 30-40 yards in the air (not yards from scrimmage) against players who are moving in 3 dimensions, and not fully extended in any direction? Go review your geometry and kinesiology, because it doesn't make a difference.
              Steve, I think it makes a difference when the CB is facing a taller, bigger WR. Football has often been characterized as a "game of inches". How many times do we see players just deflect or just miss deflecting passes. It probably happens in almost every game if not multiple times in every game.

Also, I think the increased body shielding susceptibility of a smaller player like Verrett and probable size related run game deficiencies matter.

You have good football knowledge. Players are downgraded for draft purposes all the time for size issues, aren't they? I thought that that was why Brees and Wilson fell as far as they did in their drafts. What I am discussing is a simple downgrading of Verrett from a first round pick to a second round pick. I even think he will be an early second round pick. We are talking about 10 draft spots. I do not see Verrett as value at #25. At #35 maybe, at #25 no.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

Holy crap! The technique I was discussing with the above quoted word "technique" was the technique of the CB, not the WR. Stunning, just stunning.
                You're right, it is stunning. But what's stunning is that you think if a WR uses technique to position his body, a CB couldn't possibly use technique to prevent that happening. You said technique is irrelevant in the case where a WR uses his body to shield the ball from the defender, and that's just plain wrong. The CB would employ his technique to try to either prevent or overcome that.
                Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Send PM

Since your previous post proved that you did not even comprehend what I was referring to when I used the word "technique", it is no surprise that you drew the wrong conclusion here.
                  Yuba, what's your mailing address. I'll send you a fucking dictionary. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing you abuse the English language and invent definitions for yourself and then claim that I am not understanding what you mean. Maybe with a dictionary you'll learn what everyone else means by a certain word and you'll stop being so damned unclear.
                  Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Keep perpetuating that myth about my wanting us to have a 70s style defense even though I have said repeatedly that I want us to run a 3-4 in the way that we ran it in 2006 on multiple occasions. And I would add that I wouldn't be opposed to us borrowing some blitz schemes used by some of the Steelers team over the last decade.
                    The point is you are living in the past and are not attuned to the way today's game is played. I will continue to perpetuate it, but I certainly don't need to as you do a decent job of it yourself.
                    Adipose

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                      Lots of guys have better value drafted lower in a round. Having an expectation that a trade down was is clealy possible is a flawed expectation. You need a team willing to give up resources to aquire your pick.

If Verret is picked at 25 i wager it will be called a reach...
                      I can't wait to see everyones mocks in the coming weeks
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

I guess you missed my earlier discussion in which the size difference between Verrett and Revis was addressed in greater detail.

To address some of your points, the information I have is that Verrett came in at 69 inches even while Revis came in at 71.375 inches. Verrett's arms are 30.625 inches and Revis' arms are 32.375 inches. The difference in length is 4.125 inches. I previously represented that difference as 4", so it appears that I may have even slightly understated it.
                        I've heard it say that football is a game of inches, but never of hundredths of inches. I would say that by basing your arguments on measurements of such level of precision you've lost all credibility, only you lost that several months ago.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          But 4.125 inches might.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X