Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve
    commented on 's reply
    It's not a matter of not trying to upgrade, but a matter of putting resources (draft picks or FA dollars) into positions that would lead to the most productive defense.

Would spend a top pick on a guy who only plays sparingly, and who is not in a position to make a splash play (the LB)?

Or pick a player who plays 75% of the snaps, and is on the field when the other team puts the ball up where the defense can go and get it and make splash plays (S)?

I'm not saying I wouldn't upgrade, but spend the picks on LB later in the draft, or on cheaper FA so that the best resources go into the players that are going to have the biggest impact.

• blueman
    commented on 's reply
    We played other LBs than Perryman, even when Perryman was healthy. Why not upgrade those players, especially when the starters are set?

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    I continue to believe that Phillips played so much only because our LBs were horrid. Better LBs that can cover the pass and Are effective tacklers closer to the LOS are needed. And if Phillips at 210 pounds runs a 4.6, we can look to give him competition with a 230 pound LB that runs a 4.6 and can cover as well and provide a more physical presence.
    Only thing wrong with that reasonsing is why are so many other NFL Teams playing 75%+ of their defensive snaps in their nickle and dime? That is the NORM. Unless we draft a LB to replace Perryman, I find it hard to believe that a LB is going to see much time on the field.

And just because a LB runs in the 4.6 range doesn't mean they can cover as well. A lot of pass coverage is reaction time and how well the player changes direction. S and smallish LB change direction and close on the ball a lot better than most LB. Guys like Boss Bailey (Champ Bailey's "little" brother), was a 4.4 40 guy who was 230 ish, and he couldn't cover anyone. He could run himself out of plays (both pass and run) in record time.

Most college LB have a lot to learn about pass coverage and it will depend on how quickly they pick things up. Deion Jones picked things up extremely quickly, and that was why he was so successful for Atlanta.

Roquan Smith might be a good player to add, but I don't think he is ready to play. His man to man coverage is sloppy at time, and he takes some bad angles. I would like to see him drop some weight and go back to playing at his college weight. He looked more fluid as a college player than he did in the drill work that is floating around on the internet. It is probably him trying to bulk up to 235 lb that is hurting his movement. But in film, you see him next to the Georgia DB, and he is a SS sized player, which is fine.

As far as the rest of the LB go, it all depends on what we are looking for. If we want a Mike LB to replace Perryman, than Edmunds or Vander Esch, are the ones, but then it is because Perryman is going to disappear at the end of the year. And yes, I know Perryman played Will, that was because Pullard was playing Mike better than Brown was playing Will. It was just a thing to get the 3 best true LB on the field in the base package.

Notice all these LB that the Bolts are sending Richard Smith (LB coach) to scout are all smallish, pumped up SS/LB hybrids. If we are looking for a true Will LB, then it will probably be a smaller LB like Smith, Evans, Leonard, Oren Burks, Dorian O'Daniel type guys. They are small LB or big S, and that is probably mcuh more useful if we can live with Perryman.

Otto LB is really more of a pass rusher in waiting. I don't care who we get, they are only getting token reps to sub in for Bosa and Ingram, as well as playing base OLB setting the edge. Since Ingram and Bosa can slide inside, spending a higher pick who can mix in as both a sub and 3rd and 4th pass rusher is a good way to keep everyone fresh. Too many top pass rushers wear down over a long season if they don't get rotated. Eagles best rush guys had a lot left in their tank for the playoffs last year, and it showed with the strip sack on Brady in the 4th quarter.

Leave a comment:

• chargerkdb
    commented on 's reply
    He is a flier, the fatties need to occupy blockers for him to do his thing.

• chargerkdb
    commented on 's reply
    PFF SchmeeFF. I don’t care what he weighed at combine Smith is 6’0 and 225 with lead in his pocket leaving a banquet table.

• Formula 21
    replied
    I agree Roquan is not going to take on an OL and win, he has to slip around the guy, but he does have the speed and agility to match up in coverage.

PFF has him giving up .56 yards per play in coverage, 1st among LBs. No matter how you grade him, that is an easy calc to do.

And do you think any of our DBs (who would be playing instead of Smith) are going to take on a OL and win?

Smith goes early because he can run, cover and tackle, not because he is a thumper.

Leave a comment:

• bonehead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Formula 21
    replied
    Roquan Smith: The perfect LB for today's NFL

January 1, 2018; Pasadena, CA, USA; Georgia Bulldogs linebacker Roquan Smith (3) reacts after the defense blocks a field goal kick against the Oklahoma Sooners during the overtime period in the 2018 Rose Bowl college football playoff semifinal game at Rose Bowl Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY SportsThe Run Game

Coverage

Leave a comment:

• blueman
    commented on 's reply
    This. Why would any DC trot out shit LBs when we have better dime personnel? Upgrade the role players and they will see the field, especially with so many starters in place. I mean WTF else do we do at 17 and 48, draft a QB?? Will that help us win now?

• richpjr
    commented on 's reply
    Not nearly as high Ekeler as TK is.

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    replied

Not so hot on Penny after reading this. Now I know we will draft him...

Leave a comment:

• Formula 21
    replied
    I continue to believe that Phillips played so much only because our LBs were horrid. Better LBs that can cover the pass and Are effective tacklers closer to the LOS are needed. And if Phillips at 210 pounds runs a 4.6, we can look to give him competition with a 230 pound LB that runs a 4.6 and can cover as well and provide a more physical presence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X