• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Shaquem Griffin, UCF: He wasn't on the original invite list, but that didn't stop him from crashing the party. Griffin, the combine's most inspiring story
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- The No. 19 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft just isn't going to be high enough to get Florida State S Derwin James.

That's the way James sees it, anyway. The Dallas Cowboys hold that choice, but when asked Sunday about Cowboys fans posting photos of him already in a Cowboys jersey on social media, James expressed confidence that Dallas would have to make a trade to make it happen.

"I think it's a good compliment, but I don't think I'll go that late. I feel like once I come out and show people what I can do, and once I'm done with these meetings, I feel like they'd have to trade up to get me," James said Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

James' formal interviews at the combine so far have included the Seattle Seahawks, Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, Los Angeles Chargers and Minnesota Vikings, but not the Cowboys. Not yet, anyway. James is ranked the No. 11 prospect in the draft by NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah, but if the Cowboys do indeed want James, they might not have to move up far. He's been projected as the No. 18 pick of the Seahawks or the No. 17 pick of the Chargers in five of seven NFL.com mock drafts.

The Cowboys' primary needs are at defensive tackle, wide receiver and linebacker, which doesn't perfectly line up with what James offers. While he played some linebacker at Florida State and has the frame 6-foot-3, 213 pounds to add weight and do so in the NFL, it's at safety and nickelback where he's most valued as a draft prospect.

"Safety and slot corner (nickelback), those are the two positions most teams are talking about," James said. "... They moved me around a lot (at FSU). I can do it all -- I can play deep, I can play the tight end, I can play in the box, I can blitz, whatever you need."

And what you need, if James is correct, is a pick higher than No. 19.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I think the 9ers, Raiders and Bolts are all looking at the same 3 players, Edmunds, Smith and James. I hope to have a shot at one of them.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Winners

Shaquem Griffin, LB, UCF: The combine's biggest "feel-good" story will quickly turn into an interesting evaluation after the UCF standout put on an impressive exhibition in Indianapolis this weekend. Griffin, who lost his left hand to an amputation when he was 4 years old, put up 20 reps on the bench press Saturday with a prosthetic on his left arm. On Sunday, he blazed the turf with a 4.38-second 40-yard dash to the surprise of the football world. That's the fastest 40 time for a combine linebacker since 2003. Although Griffin didn't dazzle in change-of-direction drills in space, he continues to impress scouts with his explosive athleticism. With an impressive resume that includes a ton of production as a sack artist, Griffin will intrigue teams as a special-teams player/developmental prospect.

Tremaine Edmunds, EDGE, Virginia Tech: The former Hokies standout has been on the rise since the end of the season as scouts started digging into the tape. Edmunds will continue to climb up the charts after a strong workout. Measuring 6-foot-5, 253 pounds, he blitzed a 4.54-second 40-yard dash and flashed explosive movement skills in drills. He changes directions like a defensive back while also displaying the first-step quickness and burst to turn the corner as a pass rusher. With Edmunds' tape perfectly matching his skills, he's more than worthy of consideration as a top-five selection.

Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama: The rock-solid run stopper opened eyes with a spectacular performance on the turf. The 6-foot-2, 311-pound plugger ran a 4.95-second 40 while also pumping out 27 reps on the bench press. In addition, Payne flashed better than anticipated movement skills in bag drills and the positional workout. Although the Alabama standout isn't viewed as a high-end pass rusher, the movement skills he displayed on Sunday could make him a high-impact player as a pro.

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida: The 6-foot-4, 291-pound former Gator put on one of the most impressive performances that we've seen at the combine from a big-bodied defensive tackle. Bryan posted a 4.98-second 40-yard dash, 35-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-11-inch broad jump while also pushing out 30 reps on the bench press. He complemented his impressive athletic display with a strong performance in bag drills that confirmed his status as an elite athlete. Considering how teams covet ultra-athletic defensive tackles with active hands and dynamic movement skills, Bryan is quickly climbing the charts as a potential first-rounder.

Losers

Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa: The instinctive tackling machine is an outstanding football player, but his disappointing workout highlighted his athletic limitations. Jewell posted a pedestrian 4.82-second 40-yard dash and didn't impress in change-of-direction drills. Although his game tape suggests he's a terrific player, it's hard to justify a high pick on an inside linebacker that runs slower than a 4.7-second 40.

Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech: The big-bodied defensive tackle wasn't expected to blow up the combine, but his disappointing numbers will raise some concerns about his athleticism at the next level. Settle labored through a 5.37-second 40-yard dash and posted minimal measurements in the jumps (23.5-inch vertical jump and 8-foot broad jump). He followed it up with a disappointing workout that highlighted his marginal change-of-direction skills and burst. Settle's tape suggests he has the potential to dominate as a top-50 pick, but the sub-par performance at the combine could force evaluators to pause before giving him a second-round grade.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Wee doggies! If Settle is there in the 2nd for us I would sprint to the podium! Drop, baby, drop! He still has the quickest first step of any DT in this draft, excellent value in the second round for us.

• bonehead
            bonehead commented
            Editing a comment
            Wait til the 3rd round to get Settle.....the vertical and broad jump numbers are disturbing , maybe he was sick or hurt, but damn

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            If we snag Payne in the 1st we wouldn’t need to find out about Settle...
        • Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Nah, I like Taven plenty but I would still take Settle over him.
        • Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Linebacker Winners

Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State -- The former Boise State star took full advantage of Tremaine Edmunds, his main, similarly-sized competition, sitting out the majority of the measured drills. Vander Esch ran 4.65 at slightly over 6-4 and 256 pounds. He proceeded to crush the rest of his workout. He had a 39.5-inch vertical, a 10-foot-4 broad, and a superbly quick time of 6.88 in the three-cone drill. His 4.15 in the short shuttle was an awesome time too. He can now be classified as a combine freak.

Dorian O'Daniel, Clemson -- Projected to play weakside linebacker in the NFL, the nearly 6-1, 223-pound O'Daniel dominated the agility drills on Sunday. He had the fastest three-cone (6.64) and short shuttle (4.07) among the linebackers at this year's combine.

Matthew Thomas, Florida State -- Thomas demonstrated serious explosiveness during his workout. He had a crazy 41.5-inch vertical at 232 pounds, broad jumped 10-feet-11 and had a 6.85 three-cone drill. His stock will rise.

Malik Jefferson, Texas -- We didn't get agility times for Jefferson, but in the linear explosion tests, he performed very well, running 4.52 with a 36-inch vertical and a 10-foot-5 broad jump. That matches with his strength on tape. Jefferson flies from sideline to sideline.

Leon Jacobs, Wisconsin -- A super-experienced linebacker who wore many hats on the Wisconsin defense is a chiseled athlete, and he had a fine workout on Sunday. At 6-1 and 246, Jacobs ran a superb 4.48 in the 40-yard dash, jumped 34.5 inches in the vertical and had a 10-foot-2 broad jump. He'll probably be picked in the fourth round to sixth round range. Linebacker Losers

Christian Sam, Arizona State -- Maybe weighing in at 244 wasn't the best move for the former Arizona State second-level defender. He ran 4.75 in the 40, had a 32-inch vertical and a 9-foot-6 broad jump. His three-cone time of 7.03 was actually pretty impressive at his weight though.

Chris Worley, Ohio State -- At slightly over 6-1 and 238 pounds, Worley ran 4.86 and had a vertical of 29.5 inches. He's more of a thumper than anything on film -- like Sam -- but those numbers suggest he's limited as an athlete. He's likely destined for an inside spot in a base 3-4 alignment.

Keishawn Bierria, Washington -- At a few tenths of an inch taller than 6-0 and 230 pounds, Bierria needed a big day to boost his stock. Unfortunately that didn't happen. He ran 4.79, had a 30.5-inch vertical and a 9-foot-9 broad jump. Those numbers indicate the linebacker doesn't have dynamic athleticism.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Sounds like Griffin single handedly stole the show...

Comment

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              Would love to see that guy as a Bolt. Plays hard and fast, knows how to wrap up.
          • Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

AS far as LB go, I still think the classic LB is not the answer. The big S or small LB types are the more useful. They are the ones who, if they develop, will be on the field as nickel or dime players. Edmunds has interesting skills, is a much better fit as a 34 LB. He could play SAM, but is still not a guy who is going to be on the field unless he is going to replace Perryman. Still, the fact that he can rush the QB, and do everything you ask a LB makes him interesting. Is Perryman going to end up being allowed to go like Teo? If he is, then Edmunds would be a good fit.

Taven Bryan is highly overrated. He can run, and he shoots gaps with quickness. He doesn't use his hands all that well, despite a good first step and he gets them up quickly. He is a little bit undisiplined in how he attacks upfield, getting out of control. I keep reading people say he doesn't have the best instincts, but I think that is dead wrong. I think his instincts are good, he just needs to put himself in better position by using his hands. Very flexible lower body, can change direction and redirect quickly, Not real big in the lower body, but has a great push-pull move can can overpower bigger players with that or just with leverage. He is just not all that productive. I think he has great potential as a DE or 3 tech DT, but he is going got take some time to develop. I am not sure taking him at 17 is a good thing. If we can get him in the 2nd, I would like him a lot more. I think he will be a good to great player, just he is more a potential pick due to his lack of development.

Comment

• chargerkdb
              chargerkdb commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m a Hokie that doesn’t hide his love for Edmunds but we can scratch drafting him as he won’t be there at 17. I think he is a special talent that you don’t pass on. Fortunately or unfortunately we won’t be in that position.

• chargerkdb
              chargerkdb commented
              Editing a comment
              Taven Bryan just seems soo narrow in the hips. When I saw him at combine I thought he was a tight end. If the heart condition checks out then Hurst still very much in the mix
          • Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
            Sounds like Griffin single handedly stole the show...
            :rimshot:

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Comment

• pigskin
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Southern Oregon
                • Send PM

Don't get wrapped up in the "underwear olympics", he is a 3rd rounder at the very earliest, probably 4th round is where he belongs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Unless someone gets all caught up in his 40 time, I'm thinking 4th. Many will still be scared off by his hand. I was thinking undrafted til the combine started.

Comment

Working...
                  X