• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, a lot of the draftniks are not too high on your #1, Taylor Rapp, especially on having the range and burst to play single high. Look:

The Draft Network

Crabbs
    Coverage Spacing -Uninspiring with his skills on the back end to play coverage. Severely limited by lack of COD and burst. Tight hips create headaches in transitions. More effective on targets in front of his face as compared to having to hinge and get width outside the numbers.
    Zone Coverage Skills -Will need to play robber to get effective reps out of him. Otherwise, was tasked with playing 15+ yards off the ball in single high. Pretty intelligent football player and did make some PBUs on the back end courtesy of anticipation, but will get torn apart if placed there in NFL.

Marino
    Coverage - Better in split zones than single high on account of modest range and some hesitancy with route awareness. More effective in split zones that condense the space he is responsible for. Sound ability to read the backfield and work into throwing lanes. Capable of matching up with tight ends in man coverage and remaining in phase. Won't be overpowered by tight ends that invite contact in the route stem or at the top of routes.
    Range - Modest. Plays forward in a hurry but doesn't have the speed desired to serve as a single-high option. Quick processing skills help him get a jump in pursuit. Plays with a hot motor and is always around the ball, often on account of secondary effort.

Solak
    CONS: Not overly rangy. Despite strong linear burst, top speed does not impress. Some tightness in the hips limits ability to turn corners with explosion, which gives him issues when flipping his hips to carry deep routes from the slot. Will take drop step when exploding, which only adds to the delay. Physical limitations in a straight line could force him into exclusively short zone responsibilities in the NFL, which would cap his efficacy as an interchangeable defensive piece. Does not have playmaking instinct; prefers to hit and tackle rather than play over the top for PBUs and/or INTs.

Ledyard
    Range - Re-defines deeper than the deepest. As a single-high safety, consistently 25 yards from the nearest receiver. Won't let anything in over his head, but doesn't give himself a chance to make many plays on the ball with his spacing either. Does not project to much deep safety work at the next level, especially in a Cover 1 or Cover 3 scheme.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/taylor-rapp
    You left out ninja.
    I have already memorized what those clowns at TDN had to say.
    They are all over the map,
    on every last prospect.
    The relative athleticism does not begin to describe this prospect, Rapp.

Dexta's out
    The Rapper's in.

We play modern defense.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, a lot of the draftniks are not too high on your #1, Taylor Rapp, especially on having the range and burst to play single high. Look:

The Draft Network

Crabbs
      Coverage Spacing -Uninspiring with his skills on the back end to play coverage. Severely limited by lack of COD and burst. Tight hips create headaches in transitions. More effective on targets in front of his face as compared to having to hinge and get width outside the numbers.
      Zone Coverage Skills -Will need to play robber to get effective reps out of him. Otherwise, was tasked with playing 15+ yards off the ball in single high. Pretty intelligent football player and did make some PBUs on the back end courtesy of anticipation, but will get torn apart if placed there in NFL.

Marino
      Coverage - Better in split zones than single high on account of modest range and some hesitancy with route awareness. More effective in split zones that condense the space he is responsible for. Sound ability to read the backfield and work into throwing lanes. Capable of matching up with tight ends in man coverage and remaining in phase. Won't be overpowered by tight ends that invite contact in the route stem or at the top of routes.
      Range - Modest. Plays forward in a hurry but doesn't have the speed desired to serve as a single-high option. Quick processing skills help him get a jump in pursuit. Plays with a hot motor and is always around the ball, often on account of secondary effort.

Solak
      CONS: Not overly rangy. Despite strong linear burst, top speed does not impress. Some tightness in the hips limits ability to turn corners with explosion, which gives him issues when flipping his hips to carry deep routes from the slot. Will take drop step when exploding, which only adds to the delay. Physical limitations in a straight line could force him into exclusively short zone responsibilities in the NFL, which would cap his efficacy as an interchangeable defensive piece. Does not have playmaking instinct; prefers to hit and tackle rather than play over the top for PBUs and/or INTs.

Ledyard
      Range - Re-defines deeper than the deepest. As a single-high safety, consistently 25 yards from the nearest receiver. Won't let anything in over his head, but doesn't give himself a chance to make many plays on the ball with his spacing either. Does not project to much deep safety work at the next level, especially in a Cover 1 or Cover 3 scheme.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/taylor-rapp
      Those guys are all from the same site...NFL.com, Lindy's, Pro football weekly...they say different. Look, no one is discounting that he doesn't have a lot of tape as a single high...but when asked, he did his job. No one is claiming he has the greatest recovery range in this class(though I watched him play, and he looked plenty fast to me) but when you play as good as this guy does, he rarely needs that recovery speed, as he is typically where he is suppossed to be in the first place, or he is keeping it in front of him. Opposing players just don't get behind him...and when the tackle comes down to him...it gets done. The only box this guy hasn't checked is that ignorant 40 time(He did post outstanding numbers in all other athletic testing, including the 20 and 60 yd shuffles...) My guess is if this guy is at 28, TT would absolutely love to make the pick. But I don't think he makes it to us, and even if he does, there may well be another prospect, blue chip, that fits more into our plans....a DT or OT...

But if we identify Safety as a priority, and Rapp is there? I can't believe they wouldn't love to have a football player like him on this team.
      The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Ourlads has Rapp as Safety rank #1.

Football Gameplan has Rapp as Combo Safety #1.

Charles Davis mocks Rapp to LAC @ 28.

Anyone can sit on their couch,
        poppin' a box of Cheez Tits,
        poppin' about draft picks.

No more drafting "heat seeking missiles."

Draft football players.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Well nothing wrong with heat seeking missiles as long as they destroy their INTENDED target. Definitely no more friendly fire annihilation.
          Thornhill, Adderley, CGJ, Savage, & Tell all have instincts, speed, range, AVG - EXCELLENT tacklers/run support, and are PLAYMAKERS. Tell has more consistency issues and will go 3/4 while the others should go rounds 1/2. Abram & Hooker have the skillset/physical traits to excell at cover2/Box schemes but FS is a projection just based on film. Those private workouts and whiteboard sessions will be invaluable.

As a side note.....Amani Oruwariye is really intriguing me as a possible FS conversion. Watching film on him for a few days again has opened my eyes. His instincts, awareness, and physicality are very transferable to a rangy centerfielder. Opinions?
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Those guys are all from the same site...NFL.com, Lindy's, Pro football weekly...they say different. Look, no one is discounting that he doesn't have a lot of tape as a single high...but when asked, he did his job. No one is claiming he has the greatest recovery range in this class(though I watched him play, and he looked plenty fast to me) but when you play as good as this guy does, he rarely needs that recovery speed, as he is typically where he is suppossed to be in the first place, or he is keeping it in front of him. Opposing players just don't get behind him...and when the tackle comes down to him...it gets done. The only box this guy hasn't checked is that ignorant 40 time(He did post outstanding numbers in all other athletic testing, including the 20 and 60 yd shuffles...) My guess is if this guy is at 28, TT would absolutely love to make the pick. But I don't think he makes it to us, and even if he does, there may well be another prospect, blue chip, that fits more into our plans....a DT or OT...

But if we identify Safety as a priority, and Rapp is there? I can't believe they wouldn't love to have a football player like him on this team.
            Zierlein at NFL.com also says Rapp is better suited to s split zone instead of single high:

"Versatile three-year starter who combines tenacity with football intelligence to play at a consistently high level. Rapp isn't big, but he's well-built and durability hasn't been a concern despite his physical nature as a striker. He played all over the field this year and might be best-suited in a mix between down safety and two-high looks with the ability to cover tight ends. His coverage talent is average, but his run support effort and open-field tackling are clearly defined strengths that make him a relatively safe selection."

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/taylor...c-235f382d663d

Walter projects him as a strong safety:

"Rapp would fit best as a strong safety in the NFL and looks like he could be a starting strong safety early in his pro career. While he is not a thumper, Rapp has good instincts that turn him into a solid defender. His best attribute could be his blitzing, as he is very good at chasing down the quarterback. He is a quality tackler and run defender who plays well near the line of scrimmage. As a pro, Rapp should be a solid run defender and eighth man in the box."

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...#ixzz5jmk7T100
            Last edited by Topcat; 03-31-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

When you do high volume reading at different sites, you actually eventually pick up the vibe of different pundits' takes.

Keep it broad. Do your own film study.

Let's see what Rapp's forty time looks like tomorrow. In some respects, he is similar to Desmond King, with elite short area quickness.

BTW you might want to look at the update on Cajuste's medicals, cat.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

1. Cardinals: Murray-QB, Oklahoma
                2. 49ers: Bosa-DE, Ohio State
                3. Jets: Allen-LB, Kentucky
                4. Raiders: Sweat-DE, Mississippi State
                5. Buccaneers: White-LB, LSU
                6. Giants: Gary-DE, Michigan
                7. Jaguars: Hockenson-TE, Iowa
                8. Lions: Williams-DT, Alabama
                9. Bills: Oliver-DT, Houston
                10. Broncos: Lock-QB, Missouri
                11. Bengals: Taylor-OT, Florida
                12. Packers: Bush-LB, Michigan
                13. Dolphins: Haskins-QB, Ohio State
                14. Falcons: Wilkins-DT, Clemson
                15. Redskins: Metcalf-WR Ole Miss
                16. Panthers: Williams-OT, Alabama
                17. Giants: Jones-QB, Duke
                18. Vikings: Ford-OL, Oklahoma
                19. Titans: Bradbury-OC, N.C. State
                20. Steelers: Fant-TE, Iowa
                21. Seahawks: Williams-CB, LSU
                22. Ravens: Campbell-WR, Ohio State
                23. Houston: Dillard-OT, Washington State
                24: Raiders: Smith Jr.-TE, Alabama
                25: Eagles: Wilson-LB, Alabama
                26: Colts: Ferrell-DE, Clemson
                27: Raiders: Risner-OL, Kansas State

28. Chargers: ???

I would like to trade down.
                Who is the BPA of all players remaining.I am not sure.
                In this scenario, do Chargers trade the #28 for Rosen?
                Take BPA of O-line/D-line?
                Add to secondary?
                Another WR?
                Does Telesco and FO move up to get someone?
                Last edited by Critty; 04-01-2019, 08:36 AM.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  Ourlads has Rapp as Safety rank #1.

Football Gameplan has Rapp as Combo Safety #1.

Charles Davis mocks Rapp to LAC @ 28.

Anyone can sit on their couch,
                  poppin' a box of Cheez Tits,
                  poppin' about draft picks.

No more drafting "heat seeking missiles."

Draft football players.
                  hah.... Ourlads and Charles Davis, and.... your case rested your honor ?? !!

oh my, oh me.... where is Freak when you need him ?? !!

you actually have the nerve to clown the fairest of them all (TopCat), and despite his post containing some spot on point commentary talking in specifics, and then you decide to wheel around on your armchair and talk in generalities/broad spectrums and w/no links sited.... dear lordy lord,

think 'tis pretty evident that some pundits are concerned w/Rapp @the single high, and some others of us that consider him more of a SS, and....

given that Steve thinks otherwise, and that the esteemed wu dai Scouting Bureau and the Lone Bolt see/value him as a "combo" safety....

not sure what to make of the guy, and.... know for darn certain that I value TDN along w/the wdSB, and others, and all before am willing to dismiss the all of y'all ?? !!

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                    As a side note.....Amani Oruwariye is really intriguing me as a possible FS conversion. Watching film on him for a few days again has opened my eyes. His instincts, awareness, and physicality are very transferable to a rangy centerfielder. Opinions?
                    and then there was the 54ninjas !!

agree.... have been intrigued by Oruwariye since pretty much day one, but got scared off by some of the reports (his quicks or lack thereof and zone coverage projection ?), and.... my suspicion is that he has some Jammer to him and is (much) more a corner than safety prospect, albeit do think/have suspected that Isaiah Johnson might have some safety to him ??

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I expect Rapp to go 4.55 on the forty.

LOL. Glad you liked the Dorial Green Beckham reference. I looked up Jeremiah on him. Low floor--Very high ceiling.

Nutty and the draft.
                      Like peanut butter and chocolate.

So your comp for Abram is Earl.
                      Let me write that down.
                      No official 40-time for Rapp. Although a reporter said he heard 4.7 being thrown around
                      Last edited by Boltnut; 04-01-2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No official 40-time for Rapp. Although a reporter said he heard 4.7 being thrown around.
                        Copy that...

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Maybe you are a little too young to remember this.

My Monte Vista Monarchs won the CIF Basketball Title around 1971...qualifies as a small school.

In the Finals at the Sports Arena, The Monarchs overcame a 20 point halftime deficit to the very strong big school Madison Warhawks.

It was ballsy.
                          It was epic.
                          Very cool! My dad's victory occured in 1976. Little Julian High School (200 students) took down Christian High School (team of area recruits). Later, I attended Christian HS (82-83) and one of my teachers was a kid from that Christian HS team that my dad's team beat. Classic! Said teacher was also an assistant coach for the JV basketball and football team...

Comment

Working...
                          X