• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy

I loved Ragnow last year too. I liked him clearly over Price.

Bradbury vs Elgton is a tough call; i haven't seen enough of them - just one game against elite competition.

I liked what is saw from both. Bradbury might end up being the better center, and more similar to Pouncey,
    but I like what Elgton provides in pass protection: he gave Payne problems sticking those long arms into his chest.
    Both will start out as guards & I can see Elgton disrupting Chris Jones - which is a high priority for me.

I'd lean towards Elgton

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      Good call on Ragnow !

We get to now consider surprise possible selections @ #28.

Only so many positions on a football field.

You know how I am about
      The Polian Directive.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

DB makes a lot of sense. Really any identified PON makes sense, no wrong move at 28, just grab the best talent/value and set the rest of your draft accordingly.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Yeah Nutty had the intel on Ragnow.

It would be cool to hear your takes on Bradbury vs Elgton, both in talent level and in LAC scheme fit.

I like the position flexibility on Elgton, but somebody I listen to said
          he did not look particularly good at OG in Mobile drills.

There is no doubt about Elgton's anchor.
          I like Bradbury better than Elgton. NC State did a lot of stretch blocking, which Bradbury is very good at. Neither prospect is as good as Ragnow downfield or getting outside. But Bradbury wasn't asked to do much of that. Lots of combo blocks and then picking up the 2nd tier defender as he approaches the LOS. NC State and Arkansas ask their centers to do different things so it's hard to compare Ragnow/Bradbury. I think Bradbury is worth the #28 pick. I think he fits their scheme.

If the Chargers do select Bradbury, it probably signals Lamp's move to RT... which I would also be excited to see. Maybe AL isn't lying when he says they're set at tackle...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I like Bradbury better than Elgton. NC State did a lot of stretch blocking, which Bradbury is very good at. Neither prospect is as good as Ragnow downfield or getting outside. But Bradbury wasn't asked to do much of that. Lots of combo blocks and then picking up the 2nd tier defender as he approaches the LOS. NC State and Arkansas ask their centers to do different things so it's hard to compare Ragnow/Bradbury. I think Bradbury is worth the #28 pick. I think he fits their scheme.

If the Chargers do select Bradbury, it probably signals Lamp's move to RT... which I would also be excited to see. Maybe AL isn't lying when he says they're set at tackle...
            Bradbury is in my late cluster.
            Interesting takes.
            TY.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Bradbury is in my late cluster.
              Interesting takes.
              TY.
              Why is nobody putting their clusters in the Clustas thread? I've re arranged mine handful of times. Not taking Rapp off of it.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-07-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Jamel Dean stands out. Like you said, elite traits & he's been healthy for the last two years. Some GM will clearly take a chance on him in the 3rd & probably the 2nd round - character concerns/medical checkup aside. Quality press corners are pure gold.

Rennel Wren intrigues me.
                how often is it that a 2nd tier draft DT outshines the 1rst tier in the NFL? - quite often.

Everyone focuses on Wilkins/Lawrence/etc.
                You're probably right. It is the 3 maybe 4 knee surgeries he has had that may make him slide.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

would volunteer that Bradbury goes top half of the second, and yes.... to balance, knee bend and technique, and.... he got walked back to the QB stand in, in Indy.

think Bradbury's attraction to the Chargers would be his run blocking, which is ahead of his pass pro, and whereas McCoy is the opposite.

and think Elgton is an OC, who had troubles w/Quinnen, and me thinx he might have the same against the likes of Chris Jones.

and if there is a surprise pick @28, would venture a guess that it might be Kaleb McGary.

and yes.... don't bust @28.... irregardless of position.
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Jerry Tillery is an elite player, deserves a place in the top-10 conversation

Sep 10, 2016; South Bend, IN, USA; Notre Dame Fighting Irish cornerback Julian Love (27) defensive lineman Jerry Tillery (99) and the Notre Dame leprechaun celebrate after Notre Dame defeated the Nevada Wolf Pack 39-10 at Notre Dame Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports
                    When it comes to the top 10 of the NFL draft, general managers want rare talents. Players with certain skills that make you think they can be an elite player in the NFL. I'm here to tell you that Notre Dame defensive tackle Jerry Tillery is one of them. You'd be hard pressed to see many talking about Tillery in the top-10 conversation, but from a size, athleticism and production standpoint, Tillery is the most accomplished defensive tackle in this class after Alabama's Quinnen Williams.

You may be thinking, "he only had 12.5 sacks in his career and seven sacks last year, how is that elite production?" (hopefully not though because you are reading this on PFF.com after all). The Notre Dame defensive lineman is a fantastic case study on what one considers 'production.' Is it sacks and tackles for loss? Pressures and stops? PFF grade? While the first couple are still counting stats, the PFF grade takes into account every single interaction along the line of scrimmage -- even the times when a defender beats an offensive lineman but didn't record a tackle or a pressure.

That's why, despite ranking third among interior players in total pressures with 48, Tillery tied Williams for the highest pass-rushing grade at the position in college football. A big reason why is because Tillery had 32 such wins as a pass-rusher that didn't result in a pressure -- the most among all interior defenders in college football. When it comes to winning one-on-one interactions, Tillery is as good as it gets.

So why the distinct lack of hype? Truthfully, I'm not sure. The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah notes that 'he is a very streaky player on tape...he just needs to become more consistent' as his biggest knock. Lance Zierlein notes that Tillery is 'raw with his hands and hasn't learned to properly weaponize them in his rush attack.' Reading those criticisms only makes me like Tillery more. If Tillery truly is inconsistent and raw yet still produced at the highest level we've seen from a college interior defender, just think what he could become if coaches can fix those issues at the NFL level.

I've heard a lot of similar criticisms before. The same things were said about the player who owns the third highest single-season pass-rushing grade we've ever seen from a college interior defender. Mississippi State's 6-6, 310-pound defensive tackle Chris Jones fell to the second round because of inconsistent effort concerns and a lack of ball production. All Jones did was become a plus pass-rusher the first day he stepped on an NFL field and rack up 15.5 sacks this past season with the Chiefs. The scary thing is, that between Jones and Tillery, the latter tested out as a far superior athlete. Tillery bested Jones 40-yard dash (4.93 vs 5.03), vertical (32.0" vs 29.5"), broad (9-7 vs 8-10) and short shuttle (4.33 vs 4.62) while barely losing in the 3-cone (7.45 vs 7.44).

Tillery should hands down be seen as one of the elite prospects in the upcoming class and if he falls out of the top 10 someone will get a steal.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Tillery is a roll of the dice.
                      He does not live the game.
                      Therefore, Jerry does not necessarily project to become more consistent.
                      Only NFL teams know how Tillery interviews.
                      I like Renner, PFF is what it is, but Renner is lacking in the intel needed on this.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Tillery is a roll of the dice.
                        He does not live the game.
                        Therefore, Jerry does not necessarily project to become more consistent.
                        Only NFL teams know how Tillery interviews.
                        I like Renner, PFF is what it is, but Renner is lacking in the intel needed on this.
                        Here's another reason why Tillery's stock isn't as high as it could be:

"RED FLAGS - Suspended for Fiesta Bowl as a freshman due to unspecified violation of team rules. In 2016 went on a Twitter rampage in which he indirectly suggested fired LSU coach Les Miles should replace Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. In 2016 vs USC kicked one Trojan player in the head and stomped on another's leg. Has other loves and passions outside of football that may concern teams (I don't care). Work ethic and effort haven't always been ideal, but huge growth over past two seasons."

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Here's another reason why Tillery's stock isn't as high as it could be:

"RED FLAGS - Suspended for Fiesta Bowl as a freshman due to unspecified violation of team rules. In 2016 went on a Twitter rampage in which he indirectly suggested fired LSU coach Les Miles should replace Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. In 2016 vs USC kicked one Trojan player in the head and stomped on another's leg. Has other loves and passions outside of football that may concern teams (I don't care). Work ethic and effort haven't always been ideal, but huge growth over past two seasons."

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jerry-tillery
                          Who doesn't have other loves outside of football? Ingram has a rap album and Keenan also plays in a band with other players.
                          i guess it depends on what they are talking about Because I don't see an issue with that right now.

I don't have Tillery in my clusters though for the other reasons you stated. Just thinking TT wouldn't consider him even if I would,... but they interview him, not me lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X