• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah we don't play that D any longer and havemt since Gus has been here.
    ​​​​​​If Lawrence gets double teamed it frees up Bosa or Ingram more for one on ones, not our LBs, though it would help Perryman.
    The issue is finding just the right
    DT to round out our rotation
    with Mebane and Justin Jones.

There are pluses and minuses with all of them.

Plus I have long been fixated on the concept of playing modern defense, whereby defending the pass comes first.

There is STILL plenty of thinking to do IMV.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

The issue is finding just the right
      DT to round out our rotation
      with Mebane and Justin Jones.

There are pluses and minuses with all of them.

Plus I have long been fixated on the concept of playing modern defense, whereby defending the pass comes first.

There is STILL plenty of thinking to do IMV.
      Not the only issue....I got Mebane as a bolt, 2 years max....need a Square replacement with more upside, to understudy Mebane...in addition to a 3 tech.

Another alternative to a 3 tech would be a DE/3 tech hybrid....another back up for Bosa, then put him on the line with Bosa, Ingram, and Jones on passing downs....a Rashawn Gary type player.

Regardless, we need a young fire plug behind Mebane....Saunders I like, but a less versatile Daylon Mack in the right locker room, with a mentor like Mebane, is a good day 3 option.
      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• CTrout
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Another alternative to a 3 tech would be a DE/3 tech hybrid....another back up for Bosa, then put him on the line with Bosa, Ingram, and Jones on passing downs....a Rashawn Gary type player.
        I was actually wondering if they'd consider guys like Zach Allen or LJ Collier as DTs. Both are a bit undersized as typical DTs (280s) but they are good pass rushers who can play and hold up against the run.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Not the only issue....I got Mebane as a bolt, 2 years max....need a Square replacement with more upside, to understudy Mebane...in addition to a 3 tech.

Regardless, we need a young fire plug behind Mebane....Saunders I like, but a less versatile Daylon Mack in the right locker room, with a mentor like Mebane, is a good day 3 option.
          Daylon is a solid guy on run downs as is Gaines, Russell, Alexander. All of them should go late 4 thru 6.

Big boys that are athletic developmental prospects for the Dexter Lawerence proponents.
          Jay-Tee Tiuli
          Anthony Rush
          PJ Johnson
          Bryan Mone
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post

I was actually wondering if they'd consider guys like Zach Allen or LJ Collier as DTs. Both are a bit undersized as typical DTs (280s) but they are good pass rushers who can play and hold up against the run.
            Feeling ya on this, CTrout.
            After all, we chatted up Ledbetter of Georgia.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post

Good call on both.
              I like Michael Dogbe, Kingsley Keke, Jalen Jelks, Cortez Broughton, Daniel Wise, Charles Omenihu, & Armon Watts as position flexible Dlinemen.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Good call on both.
                I like Michael Dogbe, Kingsley Keke, Jalen Jelks, Cortez Broughton, Daniel Wise, Charles Omenihu, & Armon Watts as position flexible Dlinemen.
                Omenihu vs Wren @ #60.
                Please discuss, including fit and slotting.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Omenihu vs Wren @ #60.
                  Please discuss, including fit and slotting.
                  For me Wren is a top 50 where Omenihu is top 100.
                  Renell is power, burst, physicality, bullying brut, with excellent movement skills but is raw, under disciplined, and needs technique improvement.
                  Charles converts S2P, excellent use of his hands/length, possesses multiple counters, holds edge, and has athleticism to devastate inside on 3rd downs. I see him as a base SDE with ability to rush from anywhere on passing downs.

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

For me Wren is a top 50 where Omenihu is top 100.
                    Renell is power, burst, physicality, bullying brut, with excellent movement skills but is raw, under disciplined, and needs technique improvement.
                    Charles converts S2P, excellent use of his hands/length, possesses multiple counters, holds edge, and has athleticism to devastate inside on 3rd downs. I see him as a base SDE with ability to rush from anywhere on passing downs.
                    TY ninja.
                    I have Omenihu a little higher and Wren a little lower.

​​​​​​​It is easy to see Wren's upside and fit for us.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

As a Jumbo 3TECH ?
                      Absolutely! 3-tech, 1-tech. Clemson played Lawrence @ 3-tech half the time anyways. There's a reason why Wilkins' and Ferrell's sacks numbers went up the last 2 years. Big Dex has been eating up 90% of the double teams along that DL. Would anyone be surprised to know that Lawrence had more sacks than Wilkins or Ferrell in 2016...? In 2018, Clemson had the nations #1 run defense (2.5 yards per carry).

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Absolutely! 3-tech, 1-tech. Clemson played Lawrence @ 3-tech half the time anyways. There's a reason why Wilkins' and Ferrell's sacks numbers went up the last 2 years. Big Dex has been eating up 90% of the double teams along that DL. Would anyone be surprised to know that Lawrence had more sacks than Wilkins or Ferrell in 2016...? In 2018, Clemson had the nations #1 run defense (2.5 yards per carry).
                        So what about Ed Oliver ?
                        He is half Dexta's size.
                        What about these long armed dudes, Nutty ?
                        Omenihu or Wren ?

It is not time for the final mock YET.

Think it over...

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah we don't play that D any longer and havemt since Gus has been here.
                          ​​​​​​If Lawrence gets double teamed it frees up Bosa or Ingram more for one on ones, not our LBs, though it would help Perryman.
                          Not true. Anytime you must commit to double teams along the OL, that OC/OG/OT can't get to the 2nd level to their LB assignment. In Gus' D, it is imperative for the 3-tech to protect your WILL in the run game. Watch how Lawrence protected Kendall Joeseph on any Clemson game tape. Gus went big along his DL when he was at Seattle (Mebane, Branch, Bryant). Protecting LeRoy Hill (225 lb), David Hawthorn (230 lb), Bobby Wagner (240), and Malcolm Smith (225 lb) was a big priority for Gus.

In fact, the Chargers valued (over-valued) Corey Luiget's prowess as a run stopper @ 3-tech. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mebane play a lot of 3-tech this year (he did in Seattle under Gus). You want a good pass-rushing 3-tech...? You like them to be around 280 lbs...? Use Bosa. But what ever you do, don't use a 285 lb rookie to try and protect your WILL's: White (220), Brown (220), Phillips (210), Davis (235). You're just asking for injury.

Comment

Working...
                          X