• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by glutton4Bolts View Post

Gotta wonder whether Sheldon is worth it at this point. Two years in a row he has not lived up to the hype he garnered earlier in his career. I don't hate the idea... but like Mebane I feel like we would be getting a guy on the decline at a legit cost. Give me a young and hungry disruptor in the 1st round... a guy that penetrates and wreaks havoc.
    I just keep hearing from "gurus" that DT's take awhile to get up to speed in the NFL.Would like to grab a F.A. like maybe Malik or somebody that is ready to play at a high level immediately cuz my boy River's clock is tickin!Plus if we do that then go RT or LBer in the first 2 rounds if the talent is there for the taking.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I do not see Bush starting over White at WILL, nor do I see White as a primary backup. They luv the kid. He will be our starting WILL. If he plays any MIKE it will be on 3rd and long. My guess is we go DT or OT in rd 1. I can see us taking Simmons at 28 even with the Injury.
      Best prospect in the draft. Redshirt year is good with me.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Gotta get an impact DT... it is a must. In fact, I think we need to add two DTs. There is nothing "backup" about Kyzir White though... dude was fantastic at WILL before he got hurt. Jatavis really bounced back filling in at WILL after a terrible 2017. We are deep at this position... even though they both got hurt before season's end. Unfortunately, we can't count on Perryman to last the season... so we really need another ILB. Just think that DT is so much more important for us right now. If JJ can improve and we add a true stud DT in the draft then this D will be so much better than it was last year.
        think you guys are still recovering from your Combine/RAScore hangovers.... Bush has trouble in traffic/shedding blocks.

"another ILB" would be Jamie Collins by my take.... dude starts @SAM, and if and when Denzel goes down, guessin' he can fill in Guest ??

Collins + Danny < Earl$$$$$

JJ can slide over to nose in the sub packages and Danny plays base.... which is a key part of the equation of getting teams off the field on third down (we need a legit nose)

and the stud DT is Simmons.... sorry to be the party pooper, but it won't hurt the Chargers to regress a bit next season and have expectations a little lower come Hollywood Park.
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• glutton4Bolts
          glutton for punishment
          • Jan 2019
          • Lake Arrowhead, CA
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think you guys are still recovering from your Combine/RAScore hangovers.... Bush has trouble in traffic/shedding blocks.

"another ILB" would be Jamie Collins by my take.... dude starts @SAM, and if and when Denzel goes down, guessin' he can fill in Guest ??

Collins + Danny < Earl$$$$$

JJ can slide over to nose in the sub packages and Danny plays base.... which is a key part of the equation of getting teams off the field on third down (we need a legit nose)

and the stud DT is Simmons.... sorry to be the party pooper, but it won't hurt the Chargers to regress a bit next season and have expectations a little lower come Hollywood Park.
          Why should this team regress? I don't get it? The Patriots win every year and never have quality draft picks. PRs window is closing and this roster is stacked with talent IMO. Every roster has holes... we need to do our best to fill the few we have and hope we can avoid the injury bug in 2019.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Why should this team regress? I don't get it? The Patriots win every year and never have quality draft picks. PRs window is closing and this roster is stacked with talent IMO. Every roster has holes... we need to do our best to fill the few we have and hope we can avoid the injury bug in 2019.
            yeah, not a popular sentiment, and.... will admit that my expectations were exceeded last season (by a smidge or so), and....

the release of Addae was possibly an indication that there is new wind in our FO sails, as was expecting them to stand by their own there.

my suspicion/hope is that the AL influence is "toughening up" our FO a bit and that team Tommy John is getting on in years and can't help but add some sand to their pants these days.

when we sign a legit NT.... then they have my attention.

and they are little details, albeit when I hear peoples whine/wish for a FS, backup MLB, and edge rusher I think back to Tony Brown, D'Juan Hines/Jon Bostic, and Hercules Mata'afa.... granted they were my picks/choices, and hardly is my percentage any higher than the avg NFL GM, and.... the options are out there and it pains me to think we would consider to pay the going rate in FA for someone like Earl Thomas.... we're close, and.... team Tommy John (is still young and still) needs to take their game up a notch.
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Fucking win now. Or else why play??

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

There were 3 teams in the playoffs off the top of my head that had good NTs that had bad defenses. Rams, KC, Saints. Though the saints D got better In time, but still a bottom feeder.

NT isn't The only answer but it don't hurt. Sheldon didn't start in NE, Guy did, and Sheldon had only 10 tackles and didn't record a stat in 7 of their games and yet you want him to start for us. I'd rather resign Mebane to a friendly 1 year deal.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-11-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

How about Malik Jackson?

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                    How about Malik Jackson?
                    Isn't he headed to Philly?

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

would you prefer Nasir @28 or Deionte day three ??

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/02/alabama-s-deionte-thompson-underwent-surgery-to-miss-combine

page also mentions that Tillery has torn labrum and needs surgery.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Part of the difference between Sheldon in our D vs NE is the scheme.

NE doesn't play a over/under shifted 43. In that (our) scheme, you break up the responsibilities between the 2 DT positions. NE asks both the DL positions to do everything, with the consequence that they don't necessarily do anything all that well.

The reason the 3 technique player gets to penetrate and make plays is that the NT is the one doing the dirty work. Someone has to play the screens, draws and take on the double teams. You can put a very dynamic player with great quickness at the NT position, but they aren't going to make very many plays, because if they do they will be freelancing and not doing their job.

Obviously, a player like Justin Jones can play some NT. He is not the lightning-quick penetrating DT that is the prototype for the position. I remember TT mentioning that he felt like Jones could play both DT spots when he was drafted. You might not want to do it on obvious running downs but on longish and medium downs.

Shelton isn't the kind of player who puts up stats. He is taking on and defeating blocks, keeping the LB clean. The price has to be right. If you pay a lot of money, then it is a waste. It is nice to have a player like him, just don't overpay to get him. Same with draft picks. It is stupid to draft a run down NT in the 1st round. They don't create the impact plays that change games. But if you can find one at the right price, they can be valuable. SHelton has decent pass rush grades from PFF. It's not that he is a good pass rusher, but he can get some push and drive the OL back into the QB on early downs, when the QB is doing short drops, and just trying to get the ball out quick. He won't get any sacks unless the O screws up, but he can do enough to not be a liability. Then as the down and distance force the O to drop back deeper, and go out of the shotgun, then you either bring in Jones or shift the DE inside, like Bosa and Ingram did against Baltimore.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I am of the belief that you win now. PR's got only a few years left and they're trying to sell tickets at KroenkeLand. Our biggest need is DT and Dexter Lawrence fills that need as a run-stuffer/pocket pusher. He'll help keep LB's clean. The only way I go OT (our other big need) is if one of the OT's (Dillard, Little) falls in the 1st round. There are some pretty good RT's in the mid-rounds. DT, OT, FS are the ones I focus on early. Depth at WR, LB, Edge, CB in the later rounds...

Comment

Working...
                          X