• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

There is the concept of something called "The Explosion Number" by Pat Kirwan.

The idea is that if you look at certain Combine test numbers together, you can determine if a prospect stands out as an extra elite athlete, even vs other NFL prospects.

Although not the be all, it is especially useful for EDGE and LBs.

Any thing over 70 is great. Von Miller scored a 76.

Bench Press reps + Vertical Jump in inches + Broad Jump in feet.

Let's take Justin Hollins, EDGE/LEO/SAM/MIKE Oregon.
    ninja has us taking him at round 4, #130, and I am gonna copy that.

Bench 25. Vert 36.5 . Broad 10.
    This puts Hollins at 71.

We all know of HOF players who were not overly athletic, but the Explosion Number can be a helpful tool.

You can crunch the numbers on prospects for yourself. Is there production to go with the athleticism? If not, can the super athlete be coached up ? Does the player "...look like Tarzan but play like Jane," as Joel Buchsbaum used to say ?
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      There is the concept of something called "The Explosion Number" by Pat Kirwan.

The idea is that if you look at certain Combine test numbers together, you can determine if a prospect stands out as an extra elite athlete, even vs other NFL prospects.

Although not the be all, it is especially useful for EDGE and LBs.

Any thing over 70 is great. Von Miller scored a 76.

Bench Press reps + Vertical Jump in inches + Broad Jump in feet.

Let's take Justin Hollins, EDGE/LEO/SAM/MIKE Oregon.
      ninja has us taking him at round 4, #130, and I am gonna copy that.

Bench 25. Vert 36.5 . Broad 10.
      This puts Hollins at 71.

We all know of HOF players who were not overly athletic, but the Explosion Number can be a helpful tool.

You can crunch the numbers on prospects for yourself. Is there production to go with the athleticism? If not, can the super athlete be coached up ? Does the player "...look like Tarzan but play like Jane," as Joel Buchsbaum used to say ?
      Great info wood. The more information at hand the better/consistency of the on field product.
      Throw in Hollins has excellent agility numbers, that match on field tape, and his consistent/increasing production for 3 years show he is coachable, ascending, and has a good IQ. He has shown a lack consistent physicality and that is my concern.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Great info wood. The more information at hand the better/consistency of the on field product.
        Throw in Hollins has excellent agility numbers, that match on field tape, and his consistent/increasing production for 3 years show he is coachable, ascending, and has a good IQ. He has shown a lack consistent physicality and that is my concern.
        wu dai clan's research is a benefit to all. Thanks wu dai clan

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
          • Jun 2013
          • Palm Springs
          • I know nothing
          • Send PM

1. Nasir Adderley, Delaware (6-0, 195, 4.46)

Philadelphia, Pa. (Great Valley), Senior, 5/31/1997 (age 21.92)

Strengths: Cornerback athleticism with quick feet and fluid change of direction ... outstanding drive quickness and closing speed ... flashes an extra gear to cover the sideline ... instinctive and quick to sort and react ... displays the ball skills of a former wide receiver (nine interceptions the past two seasons) ... magnet to the ball in run defense ... strong hands to finish tackles in the open field ... competes with an edge and the required toughness for the position, bouncing back from physical hits ... added return duties to his resume, including a highlight-reel 92-yard touchdown return as a senior ... extensive experience at every position in the secondary with top intangibles.

Weaknesses: Shredded physique but lacks ideal bulk and growth potential for the position ... inconsistent in press-man due to impatient feet ... fluid mover but lacks natural explosion to easily recover from a false step ... needs to keep his vision in the right place ... his aggressive playstyle tends to backfire, falling for ball fakes and eye manipulation ... will occasionally throw his shoulder instead of wrapping as a tackler ... limited experience against top-tier competition.

Summary: A four-year starter at Delaware, Adderley, who played safety in high school, signed with the Blue Hens as a cornerback and played there his first two seasons before going to the coaches as a junior and suggesting the move to safety. He played primarily single high, but has experience across the secondary and was the only player in the country with 160-plus tackles and 9-plus interceptions over the past two seasons. Adderley has Hall-of-Fame bloodlines as the cousin of Herb Adderley, who is an important role model to Nasir and they talk "three or four" times a week. Several NFL teams won't draft safeties below 200-pounds, but he runs the alley with conviction and finishes in space. Overall, Adderley has the bad habit of taking the cheese, but he has the essential ingredients of a starting NFL free safety with his play speed, toughness and ball skills, projecting best in a single-high role.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

There are other safeties in the draft I like that are good we can get later. Think we going trenches or LB round 1.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              There are other safeties in the draft I like that are good we can get later. Think we going trenches or LB round 1.
              Which safety prospects do you like for us?

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

At 28th, if Risner (T) and Lawrence (DT) are not there, you gotta go with BPA.
                Adderley is a possibility.
                IMO, James at 17th last year has been lucky.
                Adderley at 28th would be almost as lucky.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Which safety prospects do you like for us?
                  Besides Adderley for FS, not including any SS types.

Thompson
                  Rapp
                  Redwine
                  Savage
                  Tell

​​
                  ​​​​​
                  ​​​​​
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-05-2019, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                    Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Palm Springs
                    • I know nothing
                    • Send PM

To fill the needs, my thoughts:
                    OL- vet free agent
                    DL- draft
                    LB- resign Perryman, mid round draft
                    S-- draft

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Juan Thornhill... 4.42 21 + 44 + 12 = 77

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                        I really like Topcats mock but I just don't think Wilkins will last till our 1st pick nor do I believe Yodny will make it to our 2nd pick.If they do I would be totally cool with them as our choices.
                        Thanks, Bolt. I'm hoping Wilkins will be there at #28, but realize his stock is up. If he's not there, then one of the other DT's or ILB's at #28 would be good.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                          Im typically extremely active during draft season. Im sorry guys ive been so quiet this year. I have a couple health issues that have really picked up over the last year. Nerve disorder in my left face as well as my left leg. I have a nerve issue in my stomach as well. They flare up a lot and i dont make medication for it. I treat naturally. But sometimes im just battling pain. Its been a lot of pain management the last couple years for me.

I feel like i sort of passed the torch here to a couple of you guys. And too see you so active and leading the discussion makes me really happy. Grateful to have you guys continuing the TPB always fairly active draft discussion.
                          My prayers are with you, Fleet. Appreciate your work on this forum!

Comment

Working...
                          X