• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

I'm all in for a DT and a RT in the 3 first rounds.
    Maybe a S if the right guy is there.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
      Like I said in another thread, if Perryman, Brown and White all stay healthy, I don't see problem at LB.
      Emmanuel and Nwosu are backups.
      How many LBs do you need in a game?
      We aren't going to use Brown and White on the field at the same time. Maybe as some sort of specialty matchup, but normally the OTTO LB is there to control the TE. Nwosu and Emmanuel have that skill set. Brown and White are run and hit players, but struggle to take on and defeat blockers. Completely different skills sets.

Our LB situation is all about injuries. Emmanuel is the only player to have proven he can stay healthy, and even he is not a full-time player, although when he has backed up the ILB, he has gotten a full game's worth of snaps for several games in a row. His issue is his lack of speed and quickness to make plays. He is reasonably effective in tight quarters, but he keeps getting exposed in space, and that is the way the NFL is going.

Nwosu has played well when given the chance and I think has earned the chance to get more playing time. He did a great job filling in as a situational rusher and then started to flash some ability as a true OTTO when the injuries hit. I wouldn't say he is really where I think he will be yet, but he has earned the chance to compete for a starting spot. Even if he doesn't win the job, he and Rochelle allow us to move Bosa and Ingram around, because they can set the edge and rush the QB.

Perryman is a fine run down LB. You can feel the energy when he is on the field. The D overall does a much better job of attacking the line, and playing downhill when he is on the field. He helps make all the players around him better. But he still gets exposed in pass coverage some.

Brown is a sideline to sideline player who has the speed we want, but doesn't attack gaps, and has to run around them to try and make tackles, leaving them open. HE needs to get better at playing the angles and pinching down run gaps. His coverage also needs work but has gotten a lot better. He is the only LB we have that is really a strong blitzer.

White was flashing great ability but has been hurt 2x in his short career. He missed time in PS and then in the regular season that ended his year. The guy can run and hit. His coverage technique needs work (like all young LB) but his speed and instincts help cover for it and could make him a great player down the road. He needs some work attacking the line downhill vs the run, but he is better than Brown. But again, is he ever going to get better and make an impact if he isn't on the field.

In an ideal world, we have all the pieces to a great LB corp. Maybe more of a situational group than people would like, but all the right skill sets for the base D and short-yardage/goalline D, since those situational sets are decreasing in use every year.

The beginning of FA is going to be interesting to see how/if we address the LB position. Again TT likes to fill immediate needs with FA, so his draft can go for best available. LB and DT we have very few bodies under contract, so we have to add someone at those positions to just fill the roster. However, it is not TT style to try and fill these spots long term with FA, since that is pretty costly.
      Last edited by Steve; 03-03-2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Devin Bush
        @ #28 ?
        I don't think so.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Brian Cashman might be our MIKE.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Last edited by blueman; 03-03-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I don't see Brown playing at his ceiling. He continues to flash more, so I think if he continues to develop technique, he can get better. Plus, Brown is still going to be around because he is on his rookie deal, so there is no reason Brown doesn't figure in the mix. Even if White is the starting WILL LB, Brown is reasonably effective as the Mike LB on passing downs. But again, for him to reach his potential, he has to stay on the field. Right now, I think Brown is the passing down equivalent of Manti Teo. But he needs to get healthy and stay that way.

There is nothing wrong with Perryman at his ceiling. He is a really good player. He just isn't on the field enough. If he and Brown are both healthy, I can see them splitting reps at Mike in passing situations, depending on who the other team has at RB.

Mack Wilson I see as a player who is not quite ideal at either Will or Mike. He has enough ability sorting through traffic to play Mike almost any running O, but enough speed and quickness to be a really good Will.

Again, since so few college LB have had enough work against pro-style power blocking, to be good, against teams like the Jags, NE or Baltimore (and those are really the only ones that come to mind), play Ingram at Mike to stuff the inside run. he has been playing the Mike LB in the goalline D for the last 2 years, this is just the same sort of situational thing. If they line up heavy, he is our heavy Mike. Then we don't have to bother with a heavy LB who otherwise won't get to play on anything other than ST.

Emmanuel is still a really valuable player for us. he can play all 3 LB as long as we can control the matchups in coverage, which is pretty much true of any LB in the NFL today, or in the draft. Get the wrong pass catching TE or RB against a LB, and they are toast, which is why teams are simply not playing much base D anymore. Emmanuel is a very good ST player and adds depth across the board at LB. I would rather see him take Dzubnar place, because that guy is a good ST guy, but commits a lot of 15-yard penalties, is a complete liability playing D, and is now starting to get pretty pricy. We can start to be picky enough with our roster to get marginal starters to be backups and ST aces.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Brown getting even better would be awesome, yes.

And agree Perryman at his current level is great, but missing half the games the last two seasons is terrible. Love the idea of Brown and Perryman switching back and forth at the MIKE.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

They were doing it last year and they both ended up on IR. I would have loved it more if it had actually kept them healthy.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I did post this in the draft section but that section isn't getting any action so it won't get lost there when I need to see it for my next one lol. So gonna put it here too.
                    My first one though we have another day tomorrow for the combine.

Think ive seen enough though tomorrow may make me look deeper. I'm not looking at CBs for us.

BJ Mock v1.0

1. Dre'Mont Jones DT/ Ohio st

If Tillary is there he is another i can put here but i think Jones has more potentual in Mebanes possition whether they sign him again or not.

2. Yodny Cajuste OT/ W. Virgina

Was gonna put Andre Dillard here but my not be there. Either way I think we have an instant starter at RT

3. Emanual Hall, WR/ Missouri

Some may say too early and it might be but it is end of round 3 this kid has some good tools and real good speed and some good size. Just so much explosion. Not the best route runner but with Keenan and MWill and coaching, he will learn to be. Second choice was WR Miles Boykin of Notre Dame

4. TJ Edwards MLB/ Wisconsin

Offers a lot for us as a run stuffer will need some work in pass coverage but they all will at this area of the draft. Did not run at combine and I'm thinking lacks ideal speed but well see at his proday. Instincts!

5. Sheldrick Redwine, FS/ Miami(FL)

Good size and moves well. Can challenge Addae if we dont cut him but dont expect Redwine to start.

6. Maxx Crosby DE/ E. Michigan

If he makes it this far he would be good value and a development player at DE who should get some reps during rhe season and maybe spell Ingram or Bosa.

7. Ryquell Armstead RB/ Temple

Would love to be put Dex Williams here as he has little wear and tear only having 250 carries in his college career but dont think he lasts to the 7th at all
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-03-2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I can live with that draft.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Only issue I have is that Jones plays 3tech DT, Mebane plays NT. If Mebane came back, they would actually be on the field at the same time. Jones would be Liuget or Philon's replacement.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We aren't going to use Brown and White on the field at the same time. Maybe as some sort of specialty matchup, but normally the OTTO LB is there to control the TE. Nwosu and Emmanuel have that skill set. Brown and White are run and hit players, but struggle to take on and defeat blockers. Completely different skills sets.

Our LB situation is all about injuries. Emmanuel is the only player to have proven he can stay healthy, and even he is not a full-time player, although when he has backed up the ILB, he has gotten a full game's worth of snaps for several games in a row. His issue is his lack of speed and quickness to make plays. He is reasonably effective in tight quarters, but he keeps getting exposed in space, and that is the way the NFL is going.

Nwosu has played well when given the chance and I think has earned the chance to get more playing time. He did a great job filling in as a situational rusher and then started to flash some ability as a true OTTO when the injuries hit. I wouldn't say he is really where I think he will be yet, but he has earned the chance to compete for a starting spot. Even if he doesn't win the job, he and Rochelle allow us to move Bosa and Ingram around, because they can set the edge and rush the QB.

Perryman is a fine run down LB. You can feel the energy when he is on the field. The D overall does a much better job of attacking the line, and playing downhill when he is on the field. He helps make all the players around him better. But he still gets exposed in pass coverage some.

Brown is a sideline to sideline player who has the speed we want, but doesn't attack gaps, and has to run around them to try and make tackles, leaving them open. HE needs to get better at playing the angles and pinching down run gaps. His coverage also needs work but has gotten a lot better. He is the only LB we have that is really a strong blitzer.

White was flashing great ability but has been hurt 2x in his short career. He missed time in PS and then in the regular season that ended his year. The guy can run and hit. His coverage technique needs work (like all young LB) but his speed and instincts help cover for it and could make him a great player down the road. He needs some work attacking the line downhill vs the run, but he is better than Brown. But again, is he ever going to get better and make an impact if he isn't on the field.

In an ideal world, we have all the pieces to a great LB corp. Maybe more of a situational group than people would like, but all the right skill sets for the base D and short-yardage/goalline D, since those situational sets are decreasing in use every year.

The beginning of FA is going to be interesting to see how/if we address the LB position. Again TT likes to fill immediate needs with FA, so his draft can go for best available. LB and DT we have very few bodies under contract, so we have to add someone at those positions to just fill the roster. However, it is not TT style to try and fill these spots long term with FA, since that is pretty costly.
                          Sorry, but Emmanuel has been a liability in coverage for years...and less so vs. a big and fast TE...

Comment

Working...
                          X