Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
    What I see here is that the QB crowd, whether it's Tua or Herbert, are coming up with reasons why we should draft them and reasons why we should ignore red flags. NO ONE has to do that with Simmons, so clearly he is my choice. EVERYONE on here has to just salivate thinking about what he could add to our defense. I don't do that when I think QB at 6, I just don't.

Simmons is my guy 101%. If he is gone then I trade down to the 9 - 16 range, pick up another day 2 pick, etc. and look at OT or who is the faller that we benefit from?

Make it so TT
    I think you’re right.
    Wts, a year with Tyrod starting at qb might make everyone salivate over thinking about what a franchise qb could add to our offense.

persuasion time is all but done at TPB.
    camps are declared.
    gut check time for Telesco, how much is he willing to risk is what it comes down to.
    however which way it goes, no doubt we’ll all support whoever wears the Chargers cap next Thursday
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Maybe - BUT.............. remember this - the weakest part of last years team was the offense. So does using your early picks on defense make good sense? I just don't know. I know Simmons is a really good player but is he good enough to pass up help for your offense?

It appears we'll be going with Tyrod at QB and a ?? at RB and a turn-style at LT, only two WR's - or maybe we could pick some help for those weak spots on offense - tough decision I guess but I think we'll need the very best D in the NFL if we use the early picks for D and stick with what we have on O.

Something else we haven't discussed - our special teams have lost the best coverage guys we had - I wonder how that's going to shake out?
      Not exactly. While the D was @ NFL avg at pts allowed and the O was subpar at scoring, if we look at turnover differential, the LAC D was NFL worst, #32 at takeaways while the O was 29th worst at giveaways. The team stunk on the whole.
      My theory is that LAC has a better chance of dominating on defense, given a solid draft & reasonably goof health (Good health applies equally to O & D) while playing solid ball control O.
      I don't see us winning offensive shootouts vs KC but if we limit their scoring, get some takeaways, protect the ball on O and convert redzone opportunities...??
      I expect O adds at QB, WR, RB, OL. balanced with CB, LB, DT. I like the D talent probably avail at 6.
      I won't get depressed about any choices until we fail to make the 2020 playoffs. Then the guy(s) we passed on would have made all the difference.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Not exactly. While the D was @ NFL avg at pts allowed and the O was subpar at scoring, if we look at turnover differential, the LAC D was NFL worst, #32 at takeaways while the O was 29th worst at giveaways. The team stunk on the whole.
        My theory is that LAC has a better chance of dominating on defense, given a solid draft & reasonably goof health (Good health applies equally to O & D) while playing solid ball control O.
        I don't see us winning offensive shootouts vs KC but if we limit their scoring, get some takeaways, protect the ball on O and convert redzone opportunities...??
        I expect O adds at QB, WR, RB, OL. balanced with CB, LB, DT. I like the D talent probably avail at 6.
        I won't get depressed about any choices until we fail to make the 2020 playoffs. Then the guy(s) we passed on would have made all the difference.
        LOL - lover your last line.

So you figure we could whip those Chiefs 3-0 twice a year by drafting Brown?

Here's something I'm noticing more - mock drafts that think the Dolphins will take Herbert and pass on Tua. Makes me wonder if they know something we don't know?
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          There are plenty of precedents of players who were injured in college going on to be durable players not plagued by injuries in the NFL. I don't buy the comparison of Tua to Verrett. Verrett is an extreme case, and he is an undersized player. Tua is 218 lbs - 10 lbs lighter (and 4-5 inches shorter) than Rivers and 10 lbs heavier (and 1-2 inches taller) than Russell Wilson. Tua is a transformational talent. He gives the Chargers an answer to Mahomes, and for a decade the battles between these two QBs could become legend - if the Chargers are smart and do what it takes to draft Tua. It would be a horror story if Tua were to slide and be available at No. 12 for Gruden to draft. The Chiefs are Super Bowl winners because the Chargers (among other teams) failed to draft Mahomes in 2017.
          Verrett was for the most part going up against 200 lbs plus or minus wideouts.... Tua has got 300 lbs plus or minus lineman looking to take his head off on a snap by snap basis, and.... it's not just his durability that is the concern, as peoples have pointed out how he fares outside of a clean pocket.

and the first draft that comes to mind for me is 2007.... do you recall the fates of Craig Davis and Anthony Waters ??

is Keenan Allen an example of an injury concern out of college that has gone on to sustained success in the NFL ??

in 2014, we had Verrett and Chris Watt.... Max Tuerk ?? how will Mike Williams fare going forward ?? are you comfortable in giving him a fifth year option ??

Drue Tranquill is another (huge) injury concern.... how is that gonna play out going forward ??

how do you respond to things for if and when Tua doesn't pan out.... are you ok/prepared for that ??

and why are you aversive to taking on less risk for what you perceive as a lesser prospect ??

personally eye hope Tua "slides" to 13 to SF, and hopefully he can channel some Steve Young.... don't like his odds as a Charger.... also wary of the Alabama pedigree as hasn't really done so well on the QB front, draftwise.

and my guess is that the number of players that turn the tables on their injury history in college, and go on to be durable NFL contributors.... pales in comparison to the number of players wherein history repeats itself, and they unfortunately have a premature end to any significant NFL career.

personal opinion/experience is that injuries are largely a matter of mindset.... unless someone changes their mindset, said player will continue to be plagued/nagged by injuries.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Verrett was for the most part going up against 200 lbs plus or minus wideouts.... Tua has got 300 lbs plus or minus lineman looking to take his head off on a snap by snap basis, and.... it's not just his durability that is the concern, as peoples have pointed out how he fares outside of a clean pocket.

and the first draft that comes to mind for me is 2007.... do you recall the fates of Craig Davis and Anthony Waters ??

is Keenan Allen an example of an injury concern out of college that has gone on to sustained success in the NFL ??

in 2014, we had Verrett and Chris Watt.... Max Tuerk ?? how will Mike Williams fare going forward ?? are you comfortable in giving him a fifth year option ??

Drue Tranquill is another (huge) injury concern.... how is that gonna play out going forward ??

how do you respond to things for if and when Tua doesn't pan out.... are you ok/prepared for that ??

and why are you aversive to taking on less risk for what you perceive as a lesser prospect ??

personally eye hope Tua "slides" to 13 to SF, and hopefully he can channel some Steve Young.... don't like his odds as a Charger.... also wary of the Alabama pedigree as hasn't really done so well on the QB front, draftwise.

and my guess is that the number of players that turn the tables on their injury history in college, and go on to be durable NFL contributors.... pales in comparison to the number of players wherein history repeats itself, and they unfortunately have a premature end to any significant NFL career.

personal opinion/experience is that injuries are largely a matter of mindset.... unless someone changes their mindset, said player will continue to be plagued/nagged by injuries.
            Drew wasnt hurt last season. Ive read that the staff thinks he is gonna be a stud but where will they play him?

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I'd also suspect that the refs would protect an injury prone qb more than they would protect an solid guy like Rivers. We all know the refs protect some guys more than others.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I do think Niang can play OLT at an impact starting level. He is a more obvious fit at ORT where his skillset is All-Pro. Line them up and let the best 2 play.
                not worried 'bout his injury (recovery) ??
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Miami desperately tried to meet with Tua before the cut off point. They're probably shitting bricks right now.
                  I would guess it will be Tua, but their Oline is horrendous and Tua will get the crap beaten out of him on a weekly basis.
                  I heard Sean Salisbury say, from watching the Tua video, that he started to slightly favor the injured leg near the end, when fatigued.

There's a chance they wait for the 2nd round

If Tua is there - take him; if not take Simmons/Bechton (& that will be okay with me)
                  I'm for a swing for the fences mood - hence Tua/Simmons/Bechton. All three fit that category....Simmons, because you don't know where to put him.

Thomas would be the safe choice.

Herbert would be the sacrifice bunt to move the runner to 2nd base.
                  that's what I (thought I) saw.... ??

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    I'd also suspect that the refs would protect an injury prone qb more than they would protect an solid guy like Rivers. We all know the refs protect some guys more than others.
                    Why would you suspect that? They also cant stop a 300 lb DL falling on him in mid tackle.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Dave Gettleman says Giants will “seriously entertain” trading down

Josh Alper
                      ProFootball Talk on NBC SportsApril 17, 2020, 10:07 AM PDT

This year’s draft is going to be very different than the ones we’ve been used to seeing in recent years and those differences could go beyond the fact that it’s going to be conducted from homes around the country.

In all of his years as the General Manager for the Panthers and Giants, Dave Gettleman has never traded down. He said in February that it was a way to “trade yourself out of a good player” when asked to explain why he’d never accepted an offer from another team.

Gettleman said at that point that he was open to trading and he stuck to that line during a Friday conference call. Gettleman said, via multiple reporters, that he will “seriously entertain” a move out of the No. 4 spot next Thursday.

With serious needs on the offensive line and all over the defense, adding to the 10 picks the team already has wouldn’t be a bad idea and there may be some good offers if teams want to move ahead of the Dolphins at No. 5 in hopes of landing a quarterback.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

If I was the Giants and wanted an OT, hell yeah I'd trade down to 10.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Why would you suspect that? They also cant stop a 300 lb DL falling on him in mid tackle.
                          I've seen too many instances where they won't let you touch the other qb, but will allow you to blast Rivers long after the snap.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X