First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts4ever213
    replied
    Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Maybe - BUT.............. remember this - the weakest part of last years team was the offense. So does using your early picks on defense make good sense? I just don't know. I know Simmons is a really good player but is he good enough to pass up help for your offense?

It appears we'll be going with Tyrod at QB and a ?? at RB and a turn-style at LT, only two WR's - or maybe we could pick some help for those weak spots on offense - tough decision I guess but I think we'll need the very best D in the NFL if we use the early picks for D and stick with what we have on O.

Something else we haven't discussed - our special teams have lost the best coverage guys we had - I wonder how that's going to shake out?
    Yes the offense was the weak spot, that had to do with line play and some of that or most of that was Rivers. As much as I love Rivers, he hurt us more than helped. But then again, the oline wasn't much help. That was addressed with a trade and a signing. The offense today is more solid than last years already. I would love to continue to improve the line also, but at 6, we need to hit.

In regards to special teams, being so deep in the secondary means some of those guys will run coverages. Adding more linebackers will help that too.

Leave a comment:

• SYB
    replied
    Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

Not Derek, his brother, David, when he was with Houston.
    The hamster on the wheel in his head is in a wheelchair.
    He comes across as such a smug prick.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    There are plenty of precedents of players who were injured in college going on to be durable players not plagued by injuries in the NFL. I don't buy the comparison of Tua to Verrett. Verrett is an extreme case, and he is an undersized player. Tua is 218 lbs - 10 lbs lighter (and 4-5 inches shorter) than Rivers and 10 lbs heavier (and 1-2 inches taller) than Russell Wilson. Tua is a transformational talent. He gives the Chargers an answer to Mahomes, and for a decade the battles between these two QBs could become legend - if the Chargers are smart and do what it takes to draft Tua. It would be a horror story if Tua were to slide and be available at No. 12 for Gruden to draft. The Chiefs are Super Bowl winners because the Chargers (among other teams) failed to draft Mahomes in 2017.

Leave a comment:

• chargeroo
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
    Maybe its easy - just take Simmons please if he is on the board. OL improved, strong running game, Taylor at QB , maybe sign Peters -- but your defense will be pretty damn good!
    Maybe - BUT.............. remember this - the weakest part of last years team was the offense. So does using your early picks on defense make good sense? I just don't know. I know Simmons is a really good player but is he good enough to pass up help for your offense?

It appears we'll be going with Tyrod at QB and a ?? at RB and a turn-style at LT, only two WR's - or maybe we could pick some help for those weak spots on offense - tough decision I guess but I think we'll need the very best D in the NFL if we use the early picks for D and stick with what we have on O.

Something else we haven't discussed - our special teams have lost the best coverage guys we had - I wonder how that's going to shake out?

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Maybe its easy - just take Simmons please if he is on the board. OL improved, strong running game, Taylor at QB , maybe sign Peters -- but your defense will be pretty damn good!

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Never forget, when Drew Brees suffered his injury, the storyline was very similar to what Tua is going through. Let's take a time machine back to that! Would you have passed on Drew Brees too! See what I am saying, you gotta roll the dice on Tua... Remember also the QB in the NFL these days based on the rules, doesn't get beat up like back in the Stan Humphries days.
    Brees got injured in the NFL and two teams showed interest and one backed out. And Saban was the HC of the team that backed out.....the same HC Tua played for. But this circumstance IS different. Brees wasnt being drafted, he was already in the NFL and showed he is a NFL QB. Tua isnt and has not.

We shall see how it goes. This draft is going to be very interesting for us.

Leave a comment:

• JOJAX85
    replied
    Originally posted by blueman View Post
    Carr’s got nothing on Stan till he retires due to repeat concussions.
    Not Derek, his brother, David, when he was with Houston.
    The hamster on the wheel in his head is in a wheelchair.

Leave a comment:

• like54ninjas
    replied
    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Half the first round QBs are good, half aren’t. All you can do us make the pick and take your chances.
    Research is the way to minimize that risk.
    Looking back to our 98 debacle. There were many red flags around his character/personality. You take risks on those kind of prospects day 3 not day 1/#6.

Leave a comment:

• like54ninjas
    replied
    Originally posted by blueman View Post
    The older Carr is who is being referenced I think. The NFL beating as a Texan he received was brutal.

Leave a comment:

• Formula 21
    replied
    Half the first round QBs are good, half aren’t. All you can do us make the pick and take your chances.

Leave a comment:

• blueman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JOJAX85
    replied
    Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Never forget, when Drew Brees suffered his injury, the storyline was very similar to what Tua is going through. Let's take a time machine back to that! Would you have passed on Drew Brees too! See what I am saying, you gotta roll the dice on Tua... Remember also the QB in the NFL these days based on the rules, doesn't get beat up like back in the Stan Humphries days.
    Poor Stan. He didn't quite take the David Carr beating, but he took a pretty damn good beating.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X