• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Herbert has the most drops by wrs on catchable balls
    kid would be ideal in the right system

Comment

• JupiterBolt
      ~ Charger Fan ~
      • Sep 2018
      • Jupiter, FL
      • Send PM

Although not the most pressing position of need, Lynn Bowden has me intrigued! This kid is a baller!

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by JupiterBolt View Post
        Although not the most pressing position of need, Lynn Bowden has me intrigued! This kid is a baller!
        Randall Cobb 2.0?

Comment

• JupiterBolt
          ~ Charger Fan ~
          • Sep 2018
          • Jupiter, FL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Randall Cobb 2.0?
          Good call!

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Herbert threw that pass knowing he would get the PI call. If you watch games in Xfi sky cam you can really see what these QBs are looking at.

Head scratcher on the next pass. Just throw it away.
            One thing I noticed about Herbert is that he tries to thread the needle a bit too much on a lot of passes. He's usually accurate, but tends to throw into really tight coverage. He might get away with it at college level, but I'm thinking a lot of pro corners will jump the route and pick him. He had one pass dropped by a Utah defender that would have been a pick.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

One thing I noticed about Herbert is that he tries to thread the needle a bit too much on a lot of passes. He's usually accurate, but tends to throw into really tight coverage. He might get away with it at college level, but I'm thinking a lot of pro corners will jump the route and pick him. He had one pass dropped by a Utah defender that would have been a pick.
              His WR's aren't all that much - only one gets very open. His TE was quite good and Herbert seemed to be on the same page with him, but he was injured.

The biggest problem I see with Herbert is can't play OT.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Just some random thoughts on Herbert, and our bid in the QB sweepstakes...

21&500....yea, a lot of drops by Herbert's unremarkable corps...I don't have stats this year, but 58 drops last year reported in one article, which also claimed most drops on 20+ yd attempts in the country. I'm half ass about posting links...just google, folks, if your that curious.

Herbert is frustrating...been impressed with what he could be for years now...but he has never broke out. The frame, the arm....enough to make you drool...but he never takes over a game.

Overall, I'm warming up to the idea, though...mostly cuz it just makes too much sense...but he has to nail the process, especially in the film room, and on the chalk board. If he can do that, if he has all those tools, might be a stroke of luck, considering we can probably get him without any trades, and probably still get a pretty darn good tackle prospect in the early second.

Now some will argue that he is not a top 10 pick. I would argue that if he checks all your boxes, that he shows you what you want to see, that you really believe you can pick this guy, and he will become the next francise QB for the Chargers...doesn't matter if we are picking 7 or 12..you pull the trigger...but again...he has to nail the process, particularly with our staff when we work him out and interview...and I'm sure we will be doing just that.

On the other hand...if you bring him in...and say you also work out a Jacob Eason...and you are equally impressed? I have always argued that you have to be in love with the guy to spend a big pick on them...and that includes a high second rounder...but that doesn't mean you can't be in love with more than one guy...would be a coup to pick up a top ten player in the first, and a QB in the second to groom for a year or two....I'm sure many on this board would love that...

But that only works if you really love the guy you are getting in the second...don't wait for the second, if your guy has to be had in the first...and don't settle for "value"...value is nice when it happens, as far as QB picks go...but it should never be a factor...not for your next signal caller.

Finally...don't reach or gamble with a first or second round pick. Either go get your guy, or wait for next year...don't blow our high second rounder on the best QB left, cuz the world seems to think we need to pick a QB...if a good one doesn't become available to us, by any means...you continue to build the team, and plan for next year.

Last edited by Lone Bolt; 12-07-2019, 01:57 PM.
                The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

The closer I look at Hurts, the more I worry...but the kid wins. I want to see a real tight one this week, and watch him put Oklahoma on his shoulders to get them in the playoffs...then watch him there as well. Georgia doesn't upset LSU, the big 12 winner is gonna be in I think. Be nice to get an extended look at Hurts...his success, and the rise of his draft stock, only helps us...whether we pick him or not.
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Yep, big day ahead for Hurts. Does he rise or fall? All the comments you have about Herbert above can just about equally apply to Hurts as well. If you think he is It, don’t care where you draft him.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Not too impressive a performance from Hurts so far today. A lost fumble and a bad interception where he stared down a receiver and forced a pass that was intercepted.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

You guys can have Hurts, I want his #1 receiver!
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X