• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Speaking for myself, I do take everything with a grain of salt. I was pointing out that there is a huge range of opinions on Hurts about whether is will be a bust or successful in the NFL. Most things I have read about him don't have him as a first round pick (some much lower). I have only seen parts of a couple of games this year and it's really hard to predict his future as I have not watched him enough. He does seem to take off running if his first option isn't open and that scares me. He also doesn't seem to be nearly the athlete that Watson or Jackson are. I think there are "safer" choices though every QB is a crapshoot.
    This thing with Hurts started after i posted a mock of us taking him in the 3rd. I mean shit...Hurts in the 3rd is pretty safe imo. But yeah he will have those who dislike him. Im not one. I watch all of his games because i look forward to them. He excites me. I think his skillset and the type of offense he thrives in are where the NFL is headed.

You know me. I fall in love with players. And almost all of them are character first guys with amazing work ethics. I often say a players best ability is his coachability.

I guess we will see how he pans out. I like his chances.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

This thing with Hurts started after i posted a mock of us taking him in the 3rd. I mean shit...Hurts in the 3rd is pretty safe imo. But yeah he will have those who dislike him. Im not one. I watch all of his games because i look forward to them. He excites me. I think his skillset and the type of offense he thrives in are where the NFL is headed.

You know me. I fall in love with players. And almost all of them are character first guys with amazing work ethics. I often say a players best ability is his coachability.

I guess we will see how he pans out. I like his chances.
      I'd take him in the 3rd. The problem is, if the Chargers decide to move on from Rivers and don't bring a veteran QB to replace him, I don't think they'll wait until the 3rd round to take his replacement. I think they'll take the best QB available where they pick in the first round. And I definitely would not take Hurts in the first round right now.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'd take him in the 3rd. The problem is, if the Chargers decide to move on from Rivers and don't bring a veteran QB to replace him, I don't think they'll wait until the 3rd round to take his replacement. I think they'll take the best QB available where they pick in the first round. And I definitely would not take Hurts in the first round right now.
        That veteran is on the roster. imo. Taylor may not be a popular guy to have. Or Stick. But he has never been surrounded by weapons like we have. Both those guys may be decent bandaids. Just because they can run and play in a system we will need to develop for a player like Hurts. Most guys coming out are RPO spread types anyways. QBs who can run.

Sometimes i wonder if Taylor/Stick behind Andrew Thomas or Wirfs...Okung...a Free Agent OG...Pouncey and Feeney could make this offense go. You can do some things if Rivers money is off the books.

Im still in the OL camp. I want a monster OT in the 1st. Im all for BPA but that is my best case scenario. Lets get the trenches solidified and worry about the skill guys next. I would understand if QB is the pick though if we are in the top 10. Im just not really a fan of them unless its Burrow.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

That veteran is on the roster. imo. Taylor may not be a popular guy to have. Or Stick. But he has never been surrounded by weapons like we have. Both those guys may be decent bandaids. Just because they can run and play in a system we will need to develop for a player like Hurts. Most guys coming out are RPO spread types anyways. QBs who can run.

Sometimes i wonder if Taylor/Stick behind Andrew Thomas or Wirfs...Okung...a Free Agent OG...Pouncey and Feeney could make this offense go. You can do some things if Rivers money is off the books.

Im still in the OL camp. I want a monster OT in the 1st. Im all for BPA but that is my best case scenario. Lets get the trenches solidified and worry about the skill guys next. I would understand if QB is the pick though if we are in the top 10. Im just not really a fan of them unless its Burrow.
          Fleet, agree 100%. If we can just draft and acquire through FA a couple more players to finally solidify our O-line, if Tyrod or Stick can simply game manage with short to intermediate passes, and NOT force the rock for picks, I honestly think we can make the playoffs. Better chance with Tyrod, because he at least has a lot of starting experience. A LOT of teams have gone to the SB with an average game manager QB who didn't make too many mistakes. Remember Trent Dilfer?

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Fleet, agree 100%. If we can just draft and acquire through FA a couple more players to finally solidify our O-line, if Tyrod or Stick can simply game manage with short to intermediate passes, and NOT force the rock for picks, I honestly think we can make the playoffs. Better chance with Tyrod, because he at least has a lot of starting experience. A LOT of teams have gone to the SB with an average game manager QB who didn't make too many mistakes. Remember Trent Dilfer?
            The team has zero chance of winning a Super Bowl starting Taylor. Our offensive line/running game and defense aren't close to the dominating forces needed to overcome a journeyman QB. He won't have turnovers like Rivers has this year, but he also won't make many big plays. He is a 30 year old backup on his fourth team for a reason. If we move on, just give the ball to our future QB and get the growing pains out of the way sooner rather than later. Taylor would be a fine backup for him.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Yeah, not really sure what the deal is with Taylor on the team right now. The team sure thinks he’s a legit option cuz $$$, so who knows?

Gonna be a lotta change.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Would need to throw a RB in there. But Okung and Thomas/Wirfs really helps protect and a big signing like Brandon Scherff at OG to go alongside Pouncey helps. If we are not spending 30M on Rivers we can do some things. Taylor isnt the long term answer imo. Unless he shows well behind an OL like that and surrounded by weapons.

I guess my template looks a little like Jacoby Brisett and the Colts. He isnt a world beater. Doesnt have much at WR. Mack is solid not great. But behind a really solid OL and an up and coming D they are competitive. Get the OL mauling and the run game solidified. Add to the D. Colts are sort of a floor. A base. We have way more weapons in the stall than the Colts.

Just want dominating trenches. I think a lot of lesser players do well when you have them. And if you have a running QB a stud RB and some weapons at TE and WR behind a monster OL? Could be fun.

Draft

1. Wirfs OT
                2. Marvin Wilson 1T
                3. The Value RB. Etienne? (Someone has to drop here) Its a loaded draft. Just always seems like good value in the 3rd for a RB.

Sign OG Scherff

Taylor or Stick may be able to do something for the year. If they dont you are still young with your core and can go after a QB in the following draft.

Remember like someone said its Christmas. Im just making presents.

You gotta expect a little turnover after Rivers. If you dont have the OL already in place after his departure you are behind the curve. Not a big fan of what TT has done in that regard. I know he has certainly tried in the trenches somewhat. But its not a good build by him.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Would need to throw a RB in there. But Okung and Thomas/Wirfs really helps protect and a big signing like Brandon Scherff at OG to go alongside Pouncey helps. If we are not spending 30M on Rivers we can do some things. Taylor isnt the long term answer imo. Unless he shows well behind an OL like that and surrounded by weapons.

I guess my template looks a little like Jacoby Brisett and the Colts. He isnt a world beater. Doesnt have much at WR. Mack is solid not great. But behind a really solid OL and an up and coming D they are competitive. Get the OL mauling and the run game solidified. Add to the D. Colts are sort of a floor. A base. We have way more weapons in the stall than the Colts.

Just want dominating trenches. I think a lot of lesser players do well when you have them. And if you have a running QB a stud RB and some weapons at TE and WR behind a monster OL? Could be fun.

Draft

1. Wirfs OT
                  2. Marvin Wilson 1T
                  3. The Value RB. Etienne? (Someone has to drop here) Its a loaded draft. Just always seems like good value in the 3rd for a RB.

Sign OG Scherff

Taylor or Stick may be able to do something for the year. If they dont you are still young with your core and can go after a QB in the following draft.

Remember like someone said its Christmas. Im just making presents.

You gotta expect a little turnover after Rivers. If you dont have the OL already in place after his departure you are behind the curve. Not a big fan of what TT has done in that regard. I know he has certainly tried in the trenches somewhat. But its not a good build by him.
                  Yep...TT unfortunately got bit by the injury bug with Lamp. Feeney has, unfortunately, not met expectations. TT's biggest mistake going into this season was not having a backup plan with decent depth at OT--so when BOTH Okung and Tevi got hurt, the Bolts were forced to press both Pip and Scott into service. They've both been clearly overmatched. TT should have signed at LEAST a journeyman OT for backup depth. We can't afford to make this mistake again, because Okung, Pouncey and Lamp are all question marks healthwise for next season. Hopefully they all come back and have full seasons. In case one or more of them don't, we need depth, QUALITY depth. Hence, my lobbying for THREE O-linemen in the draft and TWO FA's. Like your idea of Scherff. The other FA O-lineman (preferably a T) doesn't have to be top shelf, but at least solid.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

WANT TO....

...often in life, in business, in relationship, in sports....you get what you really truly want and are willing to sacrifice to get.

Do you want a great QB prospect that can be a franchise QB for 15 seasons, that you can build a Championship team around. Do you really want it?

DO YOU?

Or do you find reasons to settle for something else and hope things work out in your favor?

Go get Burrow!!!

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Ill stay out of the way of you ultra draft GMs. lol Ill get the word out on Twitter. Id like to really take our draft game to a new level this off season.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Herbert threw that pass knowing he would get the PI call. If you watch games in Xfi sky cam you can really see what these QBs are looking at.

Head scratcher on the next pass. Just throw it away.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I think I read somewhere that Herbert has the most drops by wrs on catchable balls
                          kid would be ideal in the right system
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X