• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargerTrader
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Have done a decent amount of Oline scouting this year. I am not including the expected first rounds picks in here, but here are some mid-second, third round lineman I am positive on. There are a few more that I have flagged as definitely watching at the combine.

Some mid-second/third round players I am interested in:
    Ben Bredeson, OG
    Shane Lemieux, OG
    Logan Stenberg, OG
    Josh Jones, OT (rd 3ish)
    Trey Adams, OT - could possibly fall to our second round pick
    Robert Hunt, OT

Guys I would avoid right now:
    Hakeem Adeniji, OG
    Darryl Williams, OC
    Samuel Cosmi, OT
    Trey Smith, OG

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Burrow's emergence as a top QB could be well due to Joe Brady, who was hired in 2019 by LSU as passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach. So he's not even the OC, which is Steve Ensminger. Look:

How the LSU Tigers' offense completely changed thanks to Joe Brady

Joe Brady's name wasn't exactly buzzing around coaching circles this time a year ago. He was part of the New Orleans Saints offensive staff at large for two seasons, sitting in on meetings and breaking down film without coaching a specific position.

Before that, he was in a similar off-field role as a graduate assistant at Penn State, living life in the shadows of the sport as a part intern, part right-hand man to the offensive coordinator.

Granted, Brady had impressed everyone he'd worked for, but that was a small circle and a far cry from the national spotlight. No one knew that a lot of the things the Saints did on Sundays with do-everything quarterback Taysom Hill traced back to the 28-year-old's cubicle. How could they?

One meeting changed all that, though. LSU invited the Saints coaches to campus to talk shop one day, bringing the anonymous coach front and center with a program desperate to transform its offensive identity and regain its footing as a national powerhouse.

Though Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael was the main draw during the get-together in Baton Rouge, Brady got his turn on the whiteboard in front of the LSU staff as well, sharing his thoughts on the run-pass option that was spreading quickly throughout college football and bubbling up in the NFL. Tigers offensive coordinator Steven Ensminger perked up as he watched and listened. He was impressed. Every question he had, Brady had an answer. 

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron wasn't present for the meeting, but he heard about it. And a year later, when a position opened up on the offensive staff, and the program still looking to overhaul its Stone Age era offense, Brady's name bubbled back up. Orgeron made some calls, including one to Brady's former boss at William & Mary, Kevin Rogers, who told him, "You'd be nuts not to hire the guy."

Brady was in Baton Rouge hours after the Saints' season ended. He was the only candidate LSU formally interviewed, and he was hired within days.
      "I listened to him and I loved his presentation," Orgeron told ESPN. "But I did some research on him with some people I know very well and trusted them. They don't throw the word 'excellent' around easily. And they said excellent. So I went with my gut."

(Brady was unavailable to comment for this story, as LSU does not make its assistants available to the media during the regular season
.)

Nine months have passed since his hire, and the Tigers' offense is unrecognizable to those who've watched the team over the past two decades. Alabama coach Nick Saban, whose No. 2-ranked Crimson Tide host No. 1 LSU this Saturday, said, "They're a completely different offense. They've completely changed their style of play."

A year ago, no one could have predicted this. A former William & Mary walk-on receiver who turned 30 earlier this season, and five years ago was coaching linebackers in the FCS, has become the talk of college football.

(Another poster brought this up...but worth revisiting).

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...anks-joe-brady

Maybe Lynn should offer Brady the OC position next year, although Norv's disciple is doing an excellent job.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Maybe Lynn should offer Brady the OC position next year, although Norv's disciple is doing an excellent job.
        Wouldn't surprise me if he keeps Steichen...continuity...TPBs favorite word.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Or keep the weight and get faster....which is what I expect he will do.
          ??? They teach fast these days, lol?

No. You want him to play fast, he needs to drop the weight. Like last year.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargerTrader View Post
            Have done a decent amount of Oline scouting this year. I am not including the expected first rounds picks in here, but here are some mid-second, third round lineman I am positive on. There are a few more that I have flagged as definitely watching at the combine.

Ben Bredeson, OG
            Shane Lemieux, OG
            Logan Stenberg, OG
            Josh Jones, OT (rd 3ish)
            Robert Hunt, OT

Hakeem Adeniji, OG
            Darryl Williams, OC
            Samuel Cosmi, OT
            Trey Smith, OG
            Why avoid Cosmi...is it because he isn't NFL ready(like Pipkens) or do you see problems there? Just curious.
            Myself, I think if we are picking an OL in the first 3 rounds, I would like them to be plug n play, or nearly so. But I do like his potential.
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargerTrader View Post

Ben Bredeson, OG
              Shane Lemieux, OG
              Logan Stenberg, OG
              Josh Jones, OT (rd 3ish)
              Robert Hunt, OT

Hakeem Adeniji, OG
              Darryl Williams, OC
              Samuel Cosmi, OT
              Trey Smith, OG
              Thanks for checking in.
              Trey Adams is a roll of the dice and a possible home run.
              I do like Darryl Williams for us @ ~ #41.
              IOL needs a kick in the nuts too,
              or magical neck fusion surgery for Pouncey.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

??? They teach fast these days, lol?

No. You want him to play fast, he needs to drop the weight. Like last year.
                Yea....it's called training. Some guys can put on some weight, but it takes time to get that twitchy quickness back with the extra weight, and some can't manage it....and some can. There are plenty of fast 230 lb LBs in this leaque...I'm pretty sure that is the goal with Kyzir.

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I think the current draft position is #8.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    I think the current draft position is #8.
                    The Giants, Fins, and now it looks like Arizona will win. We could be looking at #4, believe it or not. There is like 5 teams with 5 wins...Cards don't count, they have a tie, so they have a better record if they beat Seattle.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Send PM

Strength of schedule looks to be the tiebreaker...that looks good for us picking better.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

The Giants, Fins, and now it looks like Arizona will win. We could be looking at #4, believe it or not. There is like 5 teams with 5 wins...Cards don't count, they have a tie, so they have a better record if they beat Seattle.
                        OOps...my bad...I didn't think the standings were updated when I read the Giants and Fins had 4 losses each...so I gave them 5 wins after today. Incorrect. They have 4 wins each. Right now, we can't go higher than 6th...unless Giants or Fins win next week, and we lose again.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

The Cards move up and the Chargers move to #7 in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X