First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

The Athletic's 2 round mock draft, with analysis by Dane Brugler.
    There were trades galore in this beat writer mock draft, which includes analysis from Dane Brugler on each selection.

6. Los Angeles Chargers: Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

The Chargers need a long-term plan at quarterback. Tyrod Taylor is not that. They have an opportunity to bring in a very talented QB on a rookie deal, and they won’t pass it up. Herbert, with his mobility, athleticism and big arm, fits well with the revamped offensive philosophy Anthony Lynn will be implementing post-Philip Rivers. Tagovailoa would have been the pick if he were still available, but Herbert is a very worthy alternative. And he’ll have a full year to develop with Taylor under contract for 2020. Picking a QB has made the most sense for months. Let’s not overthink it. — Daniel Popper

Dane’s Analysis: Tyrod Taylor is a dependable “bridge” option at quarterback, but what is the long-term plan? I think the top-six is too rich for Herbert, but quarterbacks always get pushed up. While I have strong reservations about the former Oregon passer ever reaching Pro Bowl status, I understand why a team like the Chargers would be willing to draft him this high.
    30. *TRADE* Los Angeles Chargers (via Seattle Seahawks, via Packers): Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State

The Seahawks, who held this pick after swapping picks with the Packers on Monday night, now trade back again, this time taking themselves out of the first round entirely. In exchange for this No. 30 pick, the Chargers give Seattle picks 37, 112 and 186.

A quick explanation from Seahawks beat writer Michael-Shawn Dugar on why he traded out of the first round: “The Seahawks didn’t have 27 first-round grades on this crop of prospects so they began the day searching for ways to move back, thus the swap with Green Bay to acquire pick No. 30 along with a fourth-rounder and a sixth-rounder. There was some thought to staying put at 30, depending on how quickly edge rushers were coming off the board. Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa didn’t go until 26 so we knew we were in good shape. Seattle feels strongly about taking Yetur Gross-Matos of Penn State with its top pick, and finding the best offensive linemen available after that. Once it became clear Seattle could snag Gross-Matos early in the second, it was time to shop the 30th pick. Now Seattle can grab its edge rusher early in the second, take an offensive tackle tackle right after that and use its surplus of fourth-round picks (four total) to move up at the end of Day 2 and add a late third-rounder if another pass-rusher like Bradley Anae is available.”

From the Chargers’ perspective: After quarterback, the Chargers’ next biggest need is left tackle. Cleveland was most likely not going to make it to pick 37, where the Chargers were slated to pick in the second round. So they give up a fourth-round pick and a sixth-round pick to get back into the first and take the Boise State product, who is big, athletic and a polished pass blocker. He would create the competition at left tackle the Chargers desperately require after they traded away Russell Okung this offseason. — Daniel Popper

Dane’s Analysis: With no guarantee that the run on offensive tackles would reach the Chargers in the early second round, they wisely move a few spots to guarantee they land one. Cleveland has his anchor issues, but he is a terrific athlete and should compete for the starting left tackle job from day one, protecting Tyrod Taylor or Justin Herbert.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Tua's medicals totally check out, I'm okay with this. Jackson and Akers are solid picks. Don't like Adams--too much of a loose cannon that could be a locker room distraction...
      If Adams is there at 220, it's hard to not take a chance on him. He could be a major talent, and a 7th rounder is a throw away pick. Some pundits think he won't be drafted, which means there is a good chance he will be there for Tommy T to nab at 220.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Brock Bowers N.M.W.
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

If Adams is there at 220, it's hard to not take a chance on him. He could be a major talent, and a 7th rounder is a throw away pick. Some pundits think he won't be drafted, which means there is a good chance he will be there for Tommy T to nab at 220.
        I don't think there is anything wrong with Adams, save his medical issues. He has a bit of "Animal House" in him...so what? I don't believe he would be a distraction in the locker room...in fact, he was well liked by team mates, great locker room guy. He didn't do drugs, beat up his girlfriend, or have a weapons charge. I would take a late round flyer on the hopes that he stays healthy, returns to form, and reaches that potential he flashed as an underclassman.
        The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

Just did this one. Simmons was gone so I felt like I was grabbing but it doesn't look too bad in the end.

Andrew Thomas
          , OT
          • Georgia

Zack Baun
            , EDGE
          • Wisconsin

Cam Akers
            , RB
          • Florida State

Van Jefferson
            , WR
          • Florida

Shaquille Quarterman
            , LB
          • Miami

Charlie Heck
            , OT
          • North Carolina

A.J. Green
            , CB
          Oklahoma State

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            There were trades galore in this beat writer mock draft, which includes analysis from Dane Brugler on each selection.

Id love to get Cleveland, but not with a 3 for 1 trade up.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
              Just did this one. Simmons was gone so I felt like I was grabbing but it doesn't look too bad in the end.

Andrew Thomas
              , OT
              • Georgia

Zack Baun
                , EDGE
              • Wisconsin

Cam Akers
                , RB
              • Florida State

Van Jefferson
                , WR
              • Florida

Shaquille Quarterman
                , LB
              • Miami

Charlie Heck
                , OT
              • North Carolina

A.J. Green
                , CB
              Oklahoma State
              No to roided up Braun.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

In the mock I just did we gave up Zack Baun, Cam Akers and Shaquille Quaterman for Ezra whom has been called to paraphrase the pundits, under motivated and lazy. Easy pass.......

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

In the mock I just did we gave up Zack Baun, Cam Akers and Shaquille Quaterman for Ezra whom has been called to paraphrase the pundits, under motivated and lazy. Easy pass.......
                  Yeah the move may be too high. I've of the opinion you should probably take the best OT at 6. And then deal with potential QBs in the 2nd or 3rd.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

This is unpredictable, but here's my guess about which way this draft will play out.

Early picks will be not too exciting,
                    and involve clean prospects.

Day two it will start to get real crazy,
                    with teams trading, and rolling the dice on boom/bust types.

The great unknown.
                    Have an enjoyable draft, everyone.
                    Do yourself a favor.
                    Don't listen to predictions from pundits.
                    No one has worthwhile intel.
                    Especially this year !
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      This is unpredictable, but here's my guess about which way this draft will play out.

The great unknown.
                      Do yourself a favor.
                      Especially this year !
                      Disagree...I think the craziness with start with later first round where teams are taking chances on QB prospects with 5th year option.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Crazy starts at pick 2. Book it.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

The great unknown.
                          Do yourself a favor.
                          Especially this year !
                          how is that.... ?? !!

one guy says he has a longtime/solid source in the org and gets the feeling that we're gonna pass on QB altogether, and then another infantry of pundits claim that we like the all of 'em ?? !!

wiggle room or what....

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X