Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Can he play OL? No. Then he can't help us in the win column. Man I don't understand how any Chargers fan could see our OL year after year and think we need more defensive players? Our defense wasn't even the biggest issue last year nor the year before.

We haven't had consistent OT isn't McNiel and Clary were here and some these guys are highly touted(no Trey Pipkins projects) plug n play starters. To me that goes along way to solidifying the OL.
    Can’t help us in the win column? That is simply untrue or hyperbole.
    We definitely need an upgrade at OT. We also need to stay healthy.
    Does it have to be at #6? No.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

if Thomas falls yes,yes it does.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
        if Thomas falls yes,yes it does.
        Falls? That maybe a stretch.
        Is he definitely the best OT in this draft class?
        Is he 1 of the 6 best players regardless of position?
        What if the QB we like is there?

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Sorry I'm in the resign Rivers Finally build an O line camp.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
            Sorry I'm in the resign Rivers Finally build an O line camp.
            I’m in the improve the team camp.
            Is part of that addressing talent, contracts, health, and depth of the Oline? Absolutely! I have stated my “I’m the GM plan” with FAs, draft, and retaining our own. Will the Bolts comply with my plan? No.
            There are several OT prospects in the draft that have impact starting traits and tape. Not all will have 1st round grades.

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Falls? That maybe a stretch.
              Is he definitely the best OT in this draft class?
              Is he 1 of the 6 best players regardless of position?
              What if the QB we like is there?
              Hopefully somebody else likes that QB too and trades with us.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Can he play OL? No. Then he can't help us in the win column. Man I don't understand how any Chargers fan could see our OL year after year and think we need more defensive players? Our defense wasn't even the biggest issue last year nor the year before.

We haven't had consistent OT isn't McNiel and Clary were here and some these guys are highly touted(no Trey Pipkins projects) plug n play starters. To me that goes along way to solidifying the OL.
                I agree with everything you are saying...but when you are picking 6, it's gotta be something special...QB or all pro caliber position player...Thomas is there, sure...pull the trigger. I like Wills and Wirfs...but are they really that much better than the tackles we can get in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? If Thomas is gone, I'm looking for an all pro or a QB...Tua, Brown, Simmons, and Okuda...maybe Wirfs or Wills if those guys are all gone.
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Are you kidding? Simmons was all over the place....early in the game, he was a thorn in LSU's side. Then they started running plays away from, and had route combos designed to clear him out for draws and underneath throws...and they had quick routes set up the rest of the game when he blitzed. He couldn't do it all himself....

After last night, I would love to see him in Bolts.
                  This is one of the biggest arguments against drafting Simmons (or most defensive players at #6). Offenses always dictate what defenses (and individual defensive players) do. A change in offensive scheme/formations/routes took Simmons out of the game.

The other way to take players out of a game (specifically the opponents offensive players... Mahomes, Kelce, Hill) is to keep them on the bench. Balanced offenses can sustain drives, control clock, and score TD's rather than FG's. I suspect we will see how that happens this coming Sunday.

Get a well-rounded OT that can help your offense be more balanced. Run the ball on 1st down. Pass the ball on 1st down. Be unpredictable knowing you can do both well. Get into manageable situations on 2nd and 3rd downs. Be a threat to run or pass in the redzone. Score early, score often. Let the opponents offense chase your lead all day... they become exponentially more predictable... like we were.

Contracts all along the OL expire soon. Plan accordingly. Trim the salary cap fat so you can pay your "money players" later.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I’m in the improve the team camp.
                    Is part of that addressing talent, contracts, health, and depth of the Oline? Absolutely! I have stated my “I’m the GM plan” with FAs, draft, and retaining our own. Will the Bolts comply with my plan? No.
                    There are several OT prospects in the draft that have impact starting traits and tape. Not all will have 1st round grades.
                    I'm curious which OT's outside the 1st round you think will have the impact of Thomas/Wills/Wirf...? What happens to OT demand if Wirfs decides to stay in college? Woody thinks Adams is a late 1st round pick. What do you think...? What are Austin Jackson's weaknesses...? How much of a drop in talent is he if compared to Thomas or Wills...?

Any other WILL's you like in 2nd-7th rounds...?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm curious which OT's outside the 1st round you think will have the impact of Thomas/Wills/Wirf...? What happens to OT demand if Wirfs decides to stay in college? Woody thinks Adams is a late 1st round pick. What do you think...? What are Austin Jackson's weaknesses...? How much of a drop in talent is he if compared to Thomas or Wills...?

First, most of my prospect evaluations are not complete.

I am not as high on Wirfs as most. I see technical flaws and lateral agility issues.
                      I had a group of 16 OT going into 2019 that I had positive notes on showing multiple starting traits and matching game tape. The top 7 being Yasir Durant, Andrew Thomas, Walker Little, Lucas Niang, Trey Adams, Ezra Cleveland, Prince Wanogho.

Little injured returning to Stanford.
                      Ezra I am a bit concerned about his length. A day 1 starter on the OL.
                      Trey’s biggest day will be medicals at the combine. A day 1 starting caliber LOT if cleared.
                      Niang had a torn hip labrum surgery. If medicals clear a day 1 starting ROT.
                      Wanogho has great feet but is still raw technically. Haven’t finished 2019 tape yet.

Thomas is powerful, smooth, patient, excellent hand strikes, and has good feet. Haven’t finished 2019 tape.
                      Yasir is a beast with good feet. Run game = people mover/passpro = stone wall. More 2019 tape to finish.
                      Mekhi Becton is my biggest riser so far. Huge jump from 17 to 19. Only a junior and his best is ahead.

AJ is the most athletic of the OTs with massive length. Many flaws = hand strike power/placement, lower & upper body strength, inconsistent kickslide depth, late hands, anchor sand. Should stay in school. He will need 1-2 years of further development. Big upside.
                      Wills looks the part, explosive, athletic, and has good feet. Issues on my previous notes length/speed edge issues, scoop/hook agility, kickstep depth (clicks heels when pressed), handstrike placement. No 2019 tape done yet.

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Sure there will be LBs in every round. Troy Dye, David Woodward, Carter Coughlin, Malik Harrison.
                        Isaiah Simmons is an elite talent.

Any OT you like in the 2nd-7th rounds?

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• charger1993
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Heres the great thing about drafting simmons at 6. We have derwin james at ss roaming doing multiple things cuz hes versatile. Now put simmons at lb on the opposite side of the field, they cant avoid both of them, plus we'll have kyzier white on derwin side playing backer, and its looking like drue tranquil in the middle. If joey and melvin and keep up the pressure our defense will be bendy man, athletes everywhere, coverage everywhere. I mean i wouldnt be mad with thomas at ot. But theres huge benefits to simmons as well

Comment

Working...
                          X