Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
    Heres the great thing about drafting simmons at 6. We have derwin james at ss roaming doing multiple things cuz hes versatile. Now put simmons at lb on the opposite side of the field, they cant avoid both of them, plus we'll have kyzier white on derwin side playing backer, and its looking like drue tranquil in the middle. If joey and melvin and keep up the pressure our defense will be bendy man, athletes everywhere, coverage everywhere. I mean i wouldnt be mad with thomas at ot. But theres huge benefits to simmons as well
    A man that sees the future.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

ahhh, yes - it was brown. True and thanks. I don’t recall a lot of accolades for White all season though but appreciate the correction.

Bouncewhiffy was the catch phrase of the season. Did OP get a trophy? Commerative tshirt? Glittery TBP Decal?
      Kyzir was moved all around the LB group positions. He ended up playing OTTO mostly. First year at the new position, first year playing mostly on the LOS, so his processing, feel for game, etc we’re in learning mode. He should be much improved going forward with that position.

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

A man that sees the future.
        Im torn here - don't know whats best. I fear the speed vs strength quest is becoming imbalanced. TT has spent the last 3 years "improving team speed" by taking undersized guys he thinks will play quick. he ended up with a few bouncewhiffies among the collection, but no one bats 1.000.

Simmons is no bouncewhiffy, so its unfair to even compare. But I do fear a Tenn type team will just run power up the middle all day long and Derwin and Simmns can take turns tackling Henry for 5 yard gains all the way down the field until they punch it in. all things equal, that defense needs a stout immovable zero technique NT more than any other position. That spot has been the hardest on the roster for them to replace since big jamal. but all things arent equal, so is a superstar Simmons more value than a good NT? shit, i have no idea.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I thought it was against Pittsburgh when he bounced off James Connor
          not sure but it was epic bouncwhiff material. i remember the play, not the jersey/player.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Im torn here - don't know whats best. I fear the speed vs strength quest is becoming imbalanced. TT has spent the last 3 years "improving team speed" by taking undersized guys he thinks will play quick. he ended up with a few bouncewhiffies among the collection, but no one bats 1.000.

Simmons is no bouncewhiffy, so its unfair to even compare. But I do fear a Tenn type team will just run power up the middle all day long and Derwin and Simmns can take turns tackling Henry for 5 yard gains all the way down the field until they punch it in. all things equal, that defense needs a stout immovable zero technique NT more than any other position. That spot has been the hardest on the roster for them to replace since big jamal. but all things arent equal, so is a superstar Simmons more value than a good NT? shit, i have no idea.
            What baffles me is TT continuing to draft guys who do play fast like White, then plug them into different positions and they put on weight and then the speed advantage evaporates. Is it because they realize after the fact, hey this guy can’t do what we wanted, shit guess we’ll try this, see if it sticks. Drafting is such a fucking dart throw.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

What baffles me is TT continuing to draft guys who do play fast like White, then plug them into different positions and they put on weight and then the speed advantage evaporates. Is it because they realize after the fact, hey this guy can’t do what we wanted, shit guess we’ll try this, see if it sticks. Drafting is such a fucking dart throw.
              Well that’s where the collaboration with the coaches come into play.
              TT could very well be picturing guys like White in a different role than what he’s put into by Lynn.
              who knows.
              thats why working together is key... or just have one “MFIC”
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Tannehill, Henry and Conklin are UFAs.
                We'll see what happens AFCCG.
                TEN next time on our schedule is '22.
                KC twice...every year.
                Pat n Andy create huge problems for any and all defenses.
                gusD partially lassos them sometimes.
                We need a spy on Mahomes + coverage on Kelce, Tyreek, etc.
                The recipe is Derwin & Simmons et al.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Weight does not always equal success. Leverage, lateral agility, power in hip drive, ability to win hands inside, strength to stack shed, and anchor balance to stalemate double teams. We rarely, if ever, ask any of our DT to play 0tech or 2-gap. We need a 1tech that controls his A-gap, squeezes down the other A-gap, has lateral agility to make plays from B-gap to B-gap, and possesses enough power and leverage to consistently reset the LOS. We do not currently have this player on our roster.

There are several prospects on day 3 that can provide this but it will take 1-2 years of NFL coaching and experience to achieve consistent results.
                  There will also be some FA available that have proven track records that should hit the market. Some bigger names and other rotational/committee type players. I’m advocating for the rotational FA type for cap/contract practicality, # of snaps that will be played, and risk/reward for position.

My current target is Michael Piece of the Ravens. He fits the bill nicely other than lacks length but has built in leverage at 6’ 340#. He should not break the contract or cap bank.

This is how I picture our D with Simmons, Pierce and other personnel assembled.

DE/LEO = Bosa, SupaMel, Rochell, Nwosu, (UDFAs)
                  DT/NT = Pierce, Jones, Tillery, Coatney, (Broughton)
                  LB = Simmons, White, Tranquil, Perryman, Egbule, (Dzubner), (UDFAs)
                  CB = Hayward, MDavis, DKing, Samuels III, (Facyson)
                  DS = James, Jenkins, Adderly, Phillips, (Teamer)

Projected Starting Defense

XXXXXXXXXXXX - - - - - - BOSA - TILLERY - PIERCE - SUPAMEL - - - - - - - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

- - HAYWARD - - - - JAMES - - - - WHITE - - - - TRANQUIL - - - - SIMMONS - - - - SAMUELS III - -

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - - - - - JENKINS - - - - - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

It's mystifying. White had 3 games under his belt at a new position, and by most accounts performed well. He gets a serious knee injury, and so the coaching staff wants him to get bigger and play a new position again the following year.

What am i missing?

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It's mystifying. White had 3 games under his belt at a new position, and by most accounts performed well. He gets a serious knee injury, and so the coaching staff wants him to get bigger and play a new position again the following year.

What am i missing?
                      I dunno, did they assess and decide nope, not gonna be a long term fit, and retool him?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Weight does not always equal success. Leverage, lateral agility, power in hip drive, ability to win hands inside, strength to stack shed, and anchor balance to stalemate double teams. We rarely, if ever, ask any of our DT to play 0tech or 2-gap. We need a 1tech that controls his A-gap, squeezes down the other A-gap, has lateral agility to make plays from B-gap to B-gap, and possesses enough power and leverage to consistently reset the LOS. We do not currently have this player on our roster.

There are several prospects on day 3 that can provide this but it will take 1-2 years of NFL coaching and experience to achieve consistent results.
                        There will also be some FA available that have proven track records that should hit the market. Some bigger names and other rotational/committee type players. I’m advocating for the rotational FA type for cap/contract practicality, # of snaps that will be played, and risk/reward for position.

My current target is Michael Piece of the Ravens. He fits the bill nicely other than lacks length but has built in leverage at 6’ 340#. He should not break the contract or cap bank.

This is how I picture our D with Simmons, Pierce and other personnel assembled.

DE/LEO = Bosa, SupaMel, Rochell, Nwosu, (UDFAs)
                        DT/NT = Pierce, Jones, Tillery, Coatney, (Broughton)
                        LB = Simmons, White, Tranquil, Perryman, Egbule, (Dzubner), (UDFAs)
                        CB = Hayward, MDavis, DKing, Samuels III, (Facyson)
                        DS = James, Jenkins, Adderly, Phillips, (Teamer)

Projected Starting Defense

XXXXXXXXXXXX - - - - - - BOSA - TILLERY - PIERCE - SUPAMEL - - - - - - - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

- - HAYWARD - - - - JAMES - - - - WHITE - - - - TRANQUIL - - - - SIMMONS - - - - SAMUELS III - -

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - - - - - JENKINS - - - - - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                        Pierce would be great. Last decent big interior player (320+) was Antonio Garay almost 10 years ago. Chargers don't go for those types.
                        If they want to play small & fast behind the D line, they need guys like Pierce.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

I dunno, did they assess and decide nope, not gonna be a long term fit, and retool him?
                          They brought in Thomas Davis. He was going to be great. The coaching staff was beaming about him all through training camp.

They still wanted to get White on the field, so they chose OTTO and mike (Bradley said he could play all three positions).

I still remember the b.s..

It seems contrary to current thinking gaining weight coming off of a knee injury, no?

Comment

Working...
                          X