Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by mecho View Post

If we are going Qb we have to stand pat and select either Herbert or Tua. If we aren't I agree we would do well trading down and picking up a few extra picks 49 ers could be a good option.
    We can stay at #6 and select Isaiah Simmons, D. Brown, Thomas, Becton, Chaisson, Murray, or a QB we can still acquire more picks by trading down in other rounds, as a said.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

You sound less confident as the draft nears.
      am I hearing you right?
      No.... How did you come to that conclusion?
      I literally said I do t think they are drafting aQB I the first round..... Sure as hec don't see them trading up to 4 for one.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No.... How did you come to that conclusion?
        I literally said I do t think they are drafting aQB I the first round..... Sure as hec don't see them trading up to 4 for one.
        just wondering
        i'm expecting them to draft one surprisingly high, but not trade up.
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

just wondering
          i'm expecting them to draft one surprisingly high, but not trade up.
          Gruden does love QBs, no doubt but Mayock will reel him in. They have 3 on the roster right now.

Comment

• mecho
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We can stay at #6 and select Isaiah Simmons, D. Brown, Thomas, Becton, Chaisson, Murray, or a QB we can still acquire more picks by trading down in other rounds, as a said.
            It is quite likely at least one of those will be available after a trade down in the first, and you have to remember that there are diminishing returns trading down in later rounds when compared to the 1st.

If you want maximum value you trade down in the first just need to hold your nerve.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I've posted it before, but if you look at draft picks, very few players after about the 4th or 5th rounds turn into high performing starters. A few certainly do, but the odds are against it.

Trading down with later picks would amass a lot of later round draft capital, and probably some of those would be in future years. I just don't necessarily think it translates into the type of players you need to be successful. It can in the sense that you might be able to add enough players that just through luck you get those few lucky 7th round picks who go on to be pro bowl types, but I don't recall the odds being that good (at least not at every position).

FWIW, the Pats draft strategy is to try and maximize the number of day 2 picks. They trade out of the 1st, and try and trade up in the later rounds to get as many day 2 guys are you can, with the idea being that you get enough high quality players. Conversely, they any tier 1 FA leave, to maximize the salary cap space for the 1b type of players, whose salaries are much more reasonable. They also like using a lot of role players, who are generally cheaper.

Remember, the goal is about getting PLAYERS. Adding draft picks is nice, because it is very inexact. There is very little skill that has been demonstrated by looking at past draft successes. So that leaves adding more picks as the best strategy, just because you have more chances.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Gruden does love QBs, no doubt but Mayock will reel him in. They have 3 on the roster right now.
                Gruden loves QBs because QB is the most important position on the field. More important than the Coach. QBs are not over-paid or over-drafted. every “over-“X” valuation a FO makes about a QB is perfectly rational and mathematically valid. Fully noting that evaluation mistakes are made at QB like at every other position (Robert Gallery, anyone?), the assessment on the value of the POSITION is 1000% spot on.

This board spends half its time stating the only way to win is to pass more and more successfully than KC, and the other half of its time saying the QB is not very important. Square - meet circle, good luck fitting in. If either Tua or Herbert are there at 6 - snap him up faster than that fat fuck Roger can spittle out the word clock In “...LAC is on the clock”.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Gruden loves QBs because QB is the most important position on the field. More important than the Coach. QBs are not over-paid or over-drafted. every “over-“X” valuation a FO makes about a QB is perfectly rational and mathematically valid. Fully noting that evaluation mistakes are made at QB like at every other position (Robert Gallery, anyone?), the assessment on the value of the POSITION is 1000% spot on.

This board spends half its time stating the only way to win is to pass more and more successfully than KC, and the other half of its time saying the QB is not very important. Square - meet circle, good luck fitting in. If either Tua or Herbert are there at 6 - snap him up faster than that fat fuck Roger can spittle out the word clock In “...LAC is on the clock”.
                  I am good with this again as long as the research has been done. Herbert seems like a very strong prospect - not sure if Allen from two years ago is a good comp or not. This guy from NFL.com compares him to WEntz - which is pretty good. Have seen comparisons to Tannehill but a stronger arm.

I am fine if the pick is Herbert

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Gruden had Carr and three scrubs behind him. He retained one, .... Peterman and signed Mariota who hasn't been great but he will be a good backup for them should Carr go down.
                    He may draft a later round QB but doubt they draft one in the first round.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Los Angeles
                      • Send PM

From Mr. Telesco himself. I think we will be drafting our future QB this year for sure now.

"Well Cam, like every player that becomes available, we always talk about things internally, but like I said before, we're very confident in Tyrod Taylor to run our offense the way we want it to run. We'll always monitor what's available out in free agency and on the street, but right now it's really 100 percent draft-focused, and obviously with the logistics going on with this draft this year from home, it's taking us a little extra time and work.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Should be a lot of players available in the first round of this draft.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                          From Mr. Telesco himself. I think we will be drafting our future QB this year for sure now.

"Well Cam, like every player that becomes available, we always talk about things internally, but like I said before, we're very confident in Tyrod Taylor to run our offense the way we want it to run. We'll always monitor what's available out in free agency and on the street, but right now it's really 100 percent draft-focused, and obviously with the logistics going on with this draft this year from home, it's taking us a little extra time and work.
                          Yep, sounds like a QB to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X