Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      This is happening Charger fans, embrace the cultural change

and be ready to thank the Spanos
      As I said earlier - if he is looking for a 2-3 year push and there are only two teams talking to him, Jags and Chargers -- well aside from state income tax, the Chargers are better positioned to win the next 2-3 years. Doesn't mean that this offseason the Jags can't hit free agency, hit the jackpot with Lawrence and the draft - it can happen. But seems like a couple years to get the roster right.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Report: Chargers have spoken to Urban Meyer

Posted by Josh Alper on January 13, 2021, 11:42 AM EST

There’s been a lot of talk about Urban Meyer becoming the next head coach of the Jaguars, but it appears that may not be his only NFL option.

NFL Media reports that the Chargers and Meyer have spoken recently. The report adds that there has not been a formal interview at this point, but that Meyer’s desire to explore every option is part of the reason why things with the Jaguars remain open.

Moving onto an interview would suggest that the momentum that appeared to be pushing him to the Jaguars has hit a snag and that Meyer is a real option to take over in Justin Herbert‘s second season.

Meyer could also opt to pass on a chance to returning to coaching altogether and his ultimate decision will be watched closely by multiple teams.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          This is happening Charger fans, embrace the cultural change

and be ready to thank the Spanos
          Fake news....the Chargers know he would command north of 10 mil a year, and have unprecedented decision making power...but we all know the Chargers dont care enough about winning to change their ways, and they are too cheap to pay a big name coach...so they never make that call....right?:stirringshit:
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Did you hear that.
            He has talked to us recently.
            :nod:
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Did you hear that.
              He has talked to us recently.
              :nod:
              It was probably Dean asking....still wanting 11-12 mil?

Meyer...Yep

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

I really don’t have a preference for our next HC, but to me, hiring Meyer demonstrates a commitment to winning. Because Meyer has demonstrated a Belicheat-like focus on winning.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  I really don’t have a preference for our next HC, but to me, hiring Meyer demonstrates a commitment to winning. Because Meyer has demonstrated a Belicheat-like focus on winning.
                  I dont know if Meyer is best choice over a guy like Daboll, but if Spanos forks out enough money to get Meyer that is a major good step in ownership trying to make this team a winner...... he has a long history of winning..... and he is a leader and knows how to build a program and hire the right people.....

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

As I said earlier - if he is looking for a 2-3 year push and there are only two teams talking to him, Jags and Chargers -- well aside from state income tax, the Chargers are better positioned to win the next 2-3 years. Doesn't mean that this offseason the Jags can't hit free agency, hit the jackpot with Lawrence and the draft - it can happen. But seems like a couple years to get the roster right.
                    agree.... but it still would shock me to see spanos shell out major money for Meyer or Harbaugh(more than twice as much as ever before)......it would be so unlike them....

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I dont know if Meyer is best choice over a guy like Daboll, but if Spanos forks out enough money to get Meyer that is a major good step in ownership trying to make this team a winner...... he has a long history of winning..... and he is a leader and knows how to build a program and hire the right people.....
                      Well....Meyer has been a HC for many years and sure it was in college, but Daboll has zero experience as a HC. The only downside i see to Meyer is his longevity to the team and him wanting control or how much control he wants.

As a Head coach id be stoked to have him. Ib be ok with Daboll as well but we want him for his OC ability and QB mentoring. Thats the biggest draw for everyone here. Who knows if he will be worth a shit as a HC? But he has been in the NFL for many years and with the Pats so if he is hired, we shall see.

Id also be fine with Saleh or Staley and i have confidence they will bring in a good OC and Staley im sure would be asking McVay for advice for that job.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well....Meyer has been a HC for many years and sure it was in college, but Daboll has zero experience as a HC. The only downside i see to Meyer is his longevity to the team and him wanting control or how much control he wants.

As a Head coach id be stoked to have him. Ib be ok with Daboll as well but we want him for his OC ability and QB mentoring. Thats the biggest draw for everyone here. Who knows if he will be worth a shit as a HC? But he has been in the NFL for many years and with the Pats so if he is hired, we shall see.

Id also be fine with Saleh or Staley and i have confidence they will bring in a good OC and Staley im sure would be asking McVay for advice for that job.
                        Same argument I made for Harbaugh - if Harbaugh had the record with the Chargers for 4 years he had with the Niners - I would take that risk over trying to get the 8-10 year coach like Payton or Tomlin - and I think Daboll could be that. He worked for the Pats but many other teams so I do like his resume

But all things equal -- Urban Meyer has been a head coach, won everywhere he has been. It might not work. But as we have seen for so many years - the first time OC route hasn't worked for very long.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

I don't think the snag is the money but the Guaranteed part of it. What if he wants $12 mil a year for 5 years guarantee? 3 years guarantee and I think it's a done deal. No?

:Beer1:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X