First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
    Not a fan of the idea of Meyer...no problems with his system, the staff he will bring, the culture, his own resume of success....I just don't trust him to stick in the NFL if the gig doesn't take off right away.

With Urban, there is too easy an out...if he finds the NFL not to his taste, he can pull a Saban, or get his gig back on TV.

Only college coach I would be interested in would be Harbaugh...he has been at both levels, if he jumps back to the pros, he knows what he is getting into.
    But Harbaugh will have a short shelf life so it is likely we'd be looking in 3 or 4 years again anyway. I also like David Shaw and Lincoln Riley from college guys but don't see them on the Chargers interview list.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Not a fan of the idea of Meyer...no problems with his system, the staff he will bring, the culture, his own resume of success....I just don't trust him to stick in the NFL if the gig doesn't take off right away.

With Urban, there is too easy an out...if he finds the NFL not to his taste, he can pull a Saban, or get his gig back on TV.

Only college coach I would be interested in would be Harbaugh...he has been at both levels, if he jumps back to the pros, he knows what he is getting into.
    Harbaugh or Daboll - those two would be awesome hires.

Most of the rest - just hoping they are getting some insider knowledge or broader scope of the league.

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Butler was able to sell Marty to Spanos: the cheap salary being a big inducement.

Beathard brought in Bobby Ross.

Dean & John are more proactive in selecting the head coaches.
    Which has been the problem.

There is Nobody who knows more about it not selling a HC to them If Telesco isn't involved.
    Telesco needs to be more involved. He has been a GM a while now.

It's also why they brought in a consultant when Telesco was hired that got us McCoy. Telesco was a new GM so they thought they needed guidance because they (Spani's) dont know what THEY are doing.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-05-2021, 05:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    Alex hired Marty and a big part of it was that Washington was still paying him, so the Chargers got a bargain. I always hated Marty. Until he became our coach and he is one of my all time favorites right now.

TG
    Butler was able to sell Marty to Spanos: the cheap salary being a big inducement.

Beathard brought in Bobby Ross.

Dean & John are more proactive in selecting the head coaches.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Aiming big but history tells us the Spanos arent a good shot. Who hired Marty? Alex? Dean has hit on no one if thats the case.
    I’ll wait to see something big happen before celebrating
    but it’s possible
    The move to LA has a chance to influence the Spanos to do things differently, and this is their first big opportunity
    history isn’t the end-all be-all in predicting future behaviors
    It’s a new year, give these assholes a chance to change

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    2019 Meyer chatter.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-05-2021, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Heatmiser
    replied
    Alex hired Marty and a big part of it was that Washington was still paying him, so the Chargers got a bargain. I always hated Marty. Until he became our coach and he is one of my all time favorites right now.

TG

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Telling you guys, we're aiming big
    due diligence with the usual suspects yesterday
    Aiming big but history tells us the Spanos arent a good shot. Who hired Marty? Alex? Dean has hit on no one if thats the case.

Leave a comment:

• Heatmiser
    replied
    A lot of these interviews (all of them?) are virtual which makes it easy to do That may explain the obscene number of candidates on the list

TG

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Herbert vs Lawrence/Fields? A bird in hand is better than two in the bush...

Herbert a proven pro....the draft prospects are just that...prospects.
    Herbert by a country mile!

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post

Not sure how I feel about this. Other than it's unlikely because he will cost a lot of money.

Has shown he has quality assistants. Not an NFL guy, though. But I'm sure he can command a room.
    I can't remember the Spanos reaching out to so many top coaching candidates.

I think they will be willing to spend more money for the next head coach; The question is whether they will give up some of their meddling.

Poor attendance next few years might cause the league to react in ways the Spanos will not appreciate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X