Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Jimmy Johnson/ Bobby Ross - can't think of any other exclusive college guy who was an unqualified success.

I doubt Urban Myers has the burning drive anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt-O
    replied
    Originally posted by Pointyearedog View Post
    Just curious, who was the winningest head coach that the Chargers had ever hired, before he got hired on by the organization? I mean, which coach had the best track record before he showed up at the Spanii door?
    Only 2 in the Spanos era... Schottenheimer and Bobby Ross. Ross had about a 75% win rate in college and won a national championship, Marty a 61% win rate in the pros, and sucked in the playoffs. Coryell was already the coach when Spanos arrived.

Leave a comment:

• Caslon
    replied
    Originally posted by Pointyearedog View Post
    Just curious, who was the winningest head coach that the Chargers had ever hired, before he got hired on by the organization? I mean, which coach had the best track record before he showed up at the Spanii door?
    Bobby Ross? A more interesting question would be not who showed up at the Spanos' door, but which GM had the most success with his coaching hires.
    Another Bobby? Bobby Beathard?

"Two years after coaching the Chargers to their only Super Bowl appearance, Ross resigned Friday, unable to settle his philosophical differences with General Manager Bobby Beathard. The assistants also resigned."

Back on topic, it's always iffy how well a successful college coach does as an NFL HC when he had been coaching college kids and not a bunch of extremely highly paid pros, some with big egos. That's as yet an unknown about Meyer.

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Meyer is the target
    Daboll is plan B
    Eberflus is plan C
    Pederson is the darkhorse
    Meyer is Catholic; Daboli is a Telesco childhood acquaintance, Eberrflus is from Indy, and Brian Kelley is the darkhorse

Leave a comment:

• Pointyearedog
    replied
    curly1.jpg

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Most important decision coming up since the relocation

Leave a comment:

• SuperCharged
    replied
    If he comes to LA in person after the playoffs, do not let him leave without signing a contract.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Even Johnny and Tommy would greatly improve under Meyer. Can only go up from here!
    That’s my end-game.
    even if we fall short of an actual championship but say we contended well into an AFCC appearance or two, having Meyer come in a change us into a winning culture would be worth it.
    with his health, I can’t imagine he’s looking too far beyond 4-5 years, MAYBE 2 contracts if he has some ridiculous early success?
    but the hope is that there is a long term coordinator or assistant that can pick up wherever he leaves off to at least continue the winning culture
    getting WAY ahead of myself, granted, but I’m trying to be realistic in my expectations for Meyer if he were to come.

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied
    I do like Eberflus...but again, if we don't make the call soon, then it's gotta be one of the guys still in the playoffs...

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied
    Originally posted by jox g View Post
    That's funny...outside of the latest Meyer buzz, those are the two I think the Bolts have pegged...and if Meyer bolts (no pun intended) and we don't have a HC by the end of the week, then it's pretty obvious it is likely one of those two, and we are waiting for them to finish their season.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by jox g View Post
    I like Staley's OC candidates if he is the one.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    I strongly suspect that Daboll is the Chargers target. If they can get an agreement with him done deal.
    Meanwhile don't burn any bridges.
    I would agree with this. I think unless Urban is signed - Daboll will be the guy

I wish they could announce hires even if the team is still in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X