X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I understand your point and it is very valid about the success of college to the pro's. Just because Jimmy Johnson did it - doesn't mean Urban Meyer will. I do think having been a HC at Bowling Green and Utah in addition to Florida and Ohio State helps his resume in my eyes. But yes, you have a fair point

I know this - based on Chargers history - experience as a head coach seems to matter in terms of success.

And if the Chargers had more success with less experienced coaches - maybe I would find Smith, Brady, Staley more appealing, even Saleh to a degree. But for the Chargers, history shows what it shows. The records of coaches speak for themselves

I am good with Daboll though for sure. Or Harbaugh. I think with Harbaugh and the right strategic moves this offseason (OL, DL, Special TEams) - this is an 11-12 win team.
    I think we are an 11-12 win team right now, but we were coached poorly this season. I think we could go out and beat teams like CLE, PIT and TEN right now if we were not coached to lose. We absolutely should have beaten TB, NO and KC in the first game with them. I think we probably should beaten BUF too, but that game would have been close had we not had lessons in coaching by Anthony Lynn. Those are all 11+ win playoff teams.

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

So being from Utah and a Utes fan, Urban did a great job with Alex Smith. I really feel his offense is suited for the college game. Not the pro's. Aka Chip Kelly. I'm just not feelin it.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        LOL. TT says we want a HC, not an OC or DC. That narrows it down to Meyer or Garrett.

Aw-huh.
        Ya that stuck out to me too
        perhaps not literally but some of these guys are so damn green you can essentially cross them out
        Meyer has got to be target number one
        and if so, I feel great about our chances even over tha jags
        with us, Meyer can win NOW
        this is the big move fellas, embrace it because we sure have collectively been bitching about micky mouse candidates for a while now
        embrace the culture change, don’t get caught up in the fears and what-ifs
        Meyer is a foodball genius and a master motivator
        in Bosa he has his defensive “white knight”
        Herbert will be elite with joe schmo
        he will build the lines (trencher heaven) and will leave our franchise a champion before he leaves
        very little doubt about that.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

LOL. TT says we want a HC, not an OC or DC. That narrows it down to Meyer or Garrett.

Aw-huh.
          Actually he didn't say that.

He was asked if they were looking for a coach who has been a HC before because Lynn only coached one interim game and TT said "I don't think so".
          "​​​​​​We are going to be open minded, wide net. Of course the guys we talk to will have have expertise in one area but we will talk football in depth with these guys and go thru the process"

"Not leaning one way or the other. If you look at our conference, 6 of the 7 teams in the playoffs are first time HCs. We are just gonna try and find the right guy"
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-06-2021, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Actually he didn't say that.

He was asked if they were looking for a coach who has been a HC before because Lynn only coached one interim game and TT said "I don't think so".
            "​​​​​​We are going to be open minded, wide net. Of course the guys we talk to will have have expertise in one area but we will talk football in depth with these guys and go thru the process"

"Not leaning one way or the other. If you look at our conference, 6 of the 7 teams in the playoffs are first time HCs. We are just gonna try and find the right guy"
            You might be referring to a different part of the press conference but I heard it like wood, I think TT goes out of his way to say they’re not looking to hire an OC or DC, but an actual HC, then he went in to say that they will have expertise on one side of the ball.
            regardless, maybe something maybe nothing
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• jox g
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Ya that stuck out to me too
              perhaps not literally but some of these guys are so damn green you can essentially cross them out
              Meyer has got to be target number one
              and if so, I feel great about our chances even over tha jags
              with us, Meyer can win NOW
              this is the big move fellas, embrace it because we sure have collectively been bitching about micky mouse candidates for a while now
              embrace the culture change, don’t get caught up in the fears and what-ifs
              Meyer is a foodball genius and a master motivator
              in Bosa he has his defensive “white knight”
              Herbert will be elite with joe schmo
              he will build the lines (trencher heaven) and will leave our franchise a champion before he leaves
              very little doubt about that.
              I thought that too...but what he means is: whoever they hire (even if they are an OC or DC, or ST coach) will become their LA CHARGERS head coach not just a position coach.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

You might be referring to a different part of the press conference but I heard it like wood, I think TT goes out of his way to say they’re not looking to hire an OC or DC, but an actual HC, then he went in to say that they will have expertise on one side of the ball.
                My first paragraph was near the beginning with the second guy asking him straight up about a guy that's a experienced HC around the 9:30 mark.

Second paragraph is near the end.

Those are quotes from TT. He never said he was looking for an experienced HC. Yes he said they will have expertise in one area... Such as STs or DC, OT but they are looking forward to talking about football and being open minded too who would be the right guy to be the HC.
                ​​​​​​He also said 6 or 7 of the teams in a conference in the playoffs have first time HCs.

I took those quotes from it as I was watching it to reply to this post.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think we are an 11-12 win team right now, but we were coached poorly this season. I think we could go out and beat teams like CLE, PIT and TEN right now if we were not coached to lose. We absolutely should have beaten TB, NO and KC in the first game with them. I think we probably should beaten BUF too, but that game would have been close had we not had lessons in coaching by Anthony Lynn. Those are all 11+ win playoff teams.

Additionally, our front four got tired.
                  It was lacking in depth and juice.
                  We could not hold leads.
                  The trench issue exists on both sides of the ball.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

I thought that too...but what he means is: whoever they hire (even if they are an OC or DC, or ST coach) will become their LA CHARGERS head coach not just a position coach.
                    TT wants a leader of men.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

I think the more apropos question regarding the HC candidacy selection process by the press should have been, "are you looking for a head coaching candidate with presence, or more weighted towards experience?" and that would have answered many other questions regarding the candidates already slated to interview.

For me, I think Joe Judge will be a fantastic head coach in his tenure with the Gaints; you can clearly see he has command and presence, and he has no prior head coaching experience. Also, McVay and rumors of Staley sharing the same type of personality traits leads me to want Staley more than any others on the list, excluding Meyer and Harbaugh.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Additionally, our front four got tired.
                        It was lacking in depth and juice.
                        We could not hold leads.
                        The trench issue exists on both sides of the ball.
                        End of the day for me this offseason is pretty easy: Fix the OL first and foremost; add Edge and another DT to the mix that is youngert/better than Square, fix Special Teams
                        I get the team does need a CB opposite Davis - and I am not sure Hayward is the answer

But strategic and focused for me: OL, DL and Special Teams
                        it ain't pretty - it ain't flashy like signing a big time WR like Allen Robinson - or drafting Waddle or Pitts
                        but it does win games.

As for Urban - get it done (or Harbaugh or Daboll)

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

If coaching was completely horrible through and through, those games would not have even been close where the Chargers O line was totally overmatched in those games that you mention. The coaching was not good enough to win at least half of those games I must admit, but not so terribly bad in every way as to not even give the team a chance to compete. If the Chargers can fix the lines, then they will have a much better chance to win in the NFL. The O line has to at least be adequate and the slew of injuries need to be minimized as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X