• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    Wisler was in the Upton deal. Myers doesn't suck, he just isn't ever healthy.

I think Preller was tasked with getting name players and to use prospects to do it. But now he's in rebuild mode. Did anyone expect this team to be any better? Aside from the Kimbrel deal, the biggest offseason news was the Rule V draft.
    Apparently Ron Fowler did. Threw Shields and Preller under the bus.

'It's been embarrassing,' Padres Executive Chairman Ron Fowler says of last-place team on radio

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

When you look at how much some average starting pitchers were paid in free agency last off season you have to ask yourself why the hell did we deal Joe Ross and Wisler. At least I'm asking. I'm kind of speechless right now. Yes, I knew we would suck. But some of that has to do with the fact we traded away two promising young starting pitchers who are doing very well in the Major leagues now. It sucks being a Padres fan. It's like if there is a way to fuck up then the Padres do exactly that....all the damn time. Well, except for the Pomeranz (for Alonso) deal. That was a sweet deal. Beane felt pity on us.

I still say Alex Dickerson could do what Myers is doing for us...which isn't a lot. Fucking Padres.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
        Apparently Ron Fowler did. Threw Shields and Preller under the bus.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...dio-interview/
        I think naming Shields by name was a poor choice but he was fine to light the team up.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think naming Shields by name was a poor choice but he was fine to light the team up.
          Of course he was fine to speak out against their piss poor playing. He probably got pissed off at Shields because there's been a persistent rumor the Pads have been trying to deal him to the White Sox and I'm sure that egg he laid didn't do the team any favors.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

He probably got pissed off at Shields because there's been a persistent rumor the Pads have been trying to deal him to the White Sox and I'm sure that egg he laid didn't do the team any favors.
            And Fowler's comments don't help.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

They helped me. I'm glad our owner (or whatever he is) cares even if he hasn't yet figured out how to win. I don't mind rooting for a loser who gives a shit and/or isn't trying to move to Los Angeles.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                When you look at how much some average starting pitchers were paid in free agency last off season you have to ask yourself why the hell did we deal Joe Ross and Wisler. At least I'm asking. I'm kind of speechless right now. Yes, I knew we would suck. But some of that has to do with the fact we traded away two promising young starting pitchers who are doing very well in the Major leagues now. It sucks being a Padres fan. It's like if there is a way to fuck up then the Padres do exactly that....all the damn time. Well, except for the Pomeranz (for Alonso) deal. That was a sweet deal. Beane felt pity on us.

I still say Alex Dickerson could do what Myers is doing for us...which isn't a lot. Fucking Padres.
                Last week I thought about posting a revision of my analysis of Preller's first year deals but didn't get a chance to. As a reminder, in the offseason I had posted an update about the guys we surrendered and the story didn't exactly suggest that Preller had given up a goldmine. As you rightly point out, both Wisler and Ross have done really well and Mallex Smith is up in the bigs. Trea Turner is about to join the Nats. In my previous post I had argued I was most concerned about giving up Ross and Turner. Ross and Wisler are solid #3 guys (who could be helping the Padres a ton right now). Turner really has the potential to be a star. We'll see how that plays out. Smith has been coming on in recent weeks and would be a useful piece on a playoff team if he proves he can hit in the majors. Max Fried is a wild-card but he's had a lot of arm problems and is currently sitting on a 5.21 ERA in A Ball.

While I certainly see where those guys would have helped us a lot right now and in the future, with the exception of Turner I don't think in the Big Picture that we dealt a bunch of studs away. We swung for the fences last year and it didn't work out. We made some poor choices. At the time I said that if we come away with Myers turning into a stud then it was worth it. Injuries have gotten in the way of that somewhat, but someone earlier said they didn't like his makeup (one of the knocks we heard when we got him) and now that I get to watch him up close, I share that opinion now. He's not a grinder and doesn't (appear) to have the intensity to be great. That's disappointing, especially because we didn't do our homework or didn't take the info we got seriously. Maybe the body language isn't all that's there and he's not exactly too old to turn it around but right now, it's not looking too good.

However, here are the bigger bashes I have:

*We traded Rizzo for Cashner. HUGE fuckup.
                *We traded Boxberger and Forsythe for two guys who aren't in the org, one of whom wore a funny hat.
                * We dealt Kluber for Ryan Ludwick
                *Guys like Brach, Nick Hundley, Nick Vincent, etc are littered around the league and could be helping now

None of these guys except Rizzo and Kluber are all-stars. But to give up two when we have (when you're being honest) none, is pretty sad. It's further sad when you consider Turner looks like he's going to be a star. But it's important to note that the biggest fuckups (along with that stupid Gyorko contract) were pre-Preller.

Another of the big criticisms I have is the failure to unload some of these veterans with value at last year's deadline or in the offseason. Shields and Upton should have been dealt last year. Kemp might've been moved in the offseason or probably should be as soon as his value is up. After 2 horrible years, Cashner is now basically worthless. Ross is hurt so can't return as much. Preller really made a mistake by not cutting his losses sooner.

I don't think you can Green bc he inherited this mess. And really, I don't think you can Preller just yet bc (my personal opinion) was that he had marching orders to make news and to use prospects if need-be. He did that but one questions his targets. And since then his moves haven't all been horrible (Pomeranz) but several have been pretty suspect. He's on a short plank.

Right now, we just have to dump anyone with value and start over. Again. Poor management plagues every team associated with San Diego. The Padres just seem to always have the worst.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
                  They helped me. I'm glad our owner (or whatever he is) cares even if he hasn't yet figured out how to win. I don't mind rooting for a loser who gives a shit and/or isn't trying to move to Los Angeles.
                  No I meant wrt trade value of Shields.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

No I meant wrt trade value of Shields.
                    I knew what you meant, but I had to make it about me.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Doubt it hurt after that shit performance either.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

12-2 is now 12-11 Padres. I would not be sad if a few heads rolled after tonight.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

12-2 is now 12-11 Padres. I would not be sad if a few heads rolled after tonight.
                          Now it's 16-12 for the bad guys. The Mariners have scored 14 runs in fewer than two innings.

Comment

Working...
                          X