• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

No...he would be getting around what Melvin Ingram is getting paid. Teams are getting more leary about big guaranteed contracts going forward.
    Well it's also probably important to point out that Ray and Melvin don't play the same positions.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Well it's also probably important to point out that Ray and Melvin don't play the same positions.
      I'm talking impact to defense and the overall player involvement on the defense. Ingram moves around to different positions in the front 7.
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm talking impact to defense and the overall player involvement on the defense. Ingram moves around to different positions in the front 7.
        He dont move around that much. Going to MLB on goaline is how many plays per game? Sometime zero, maybe a handfull in others. Other times he might be in coverage but not a lot.
        Ingram is a great athlete and they just dont use him to his best ability imo. Rushing the passer most of the time isnt his best ability. He can run.....use him at MLB most the time and as a pass rusher at times.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He dont move around that much. Going to MLB on goaline is how many plays per game? Sometime zero, maybe a handfull in others. Other times he might be in coverage but not a lot.
          Ingram is a great athlete and they just dont use him to his best ability imo. Rushing the passer most of the time isnt his best ability. He can run.....use him at MLB most the time and as a pass rusher at times.
          Interior pass rusher on obvious passing downs, and then edge rusher in Bradley's scheme. I think he would do great in a blitz heavy scheme like Todd Bowles, and also Belichick's where he would be moved around like Trey Flowers did.

Comment

• SouthPaw
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2020
            • Send PM

I didn't read all 11 pages of this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating what's been said, but I think Ingram would be a prime candidate to be a surprise cut. Nwosu isn't playing OTTO (SLB) anymore & is the primary backup to Ingram at LEO. Their sack per snap average is almost identical over the two seasons Nwosu has been in the league. Melvin will cost $16.6 million against the cap this season, but only $2.6 million in dead cap space if he's released. Even if Ingram isn't released, this will be his last season with the Chargers. Nwosu It's definitely going to take his place at LEO in 2021. He's primed to breakout & I can't wait to see what he will do as a starter.

I think Ingram brings a lot of intangibles to the team. He's definitely a leader & a popular locker room guy. I think from day one a lot of us knew he wasn't going to be a consistent double digit sack guy. He puts a lot of pressure on QBs, but he has had trouble finishing his whole career and his missed quite a few sacks either by over-running the play or not being able to hold onto the QB.

He will probably get a decent contract from another team considering he'll only be 32 when the 2021 season starts, but I think his best days are behind him. Since he was born, raised & went to college in the Carolinas, I could see him joining the Panthers.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SouthPaw View Post
              I didn't read all 11 pages of this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating what's been said, but I think Ingram would be a prime candidate to be a surprise cut. Nwosu isn't playing OTTO (SLB) anymore & is the primary backup to Ingram at LEO. Their sack per snap average is almost identical over the two seasons Nwosu has been in the league. Melvin will cost $16.6 million against the cap this season, but only $2.6 million in dead cap space if he's released. Even if Ingram isn't released, this will be his last season with the Chargers. Nwosu It's definitely going to take his place at LEO in 2021. He's primed to breakout & I can't wait to see what he will do as a starter.

I think Ingram brings a lot of intangibles to the team. He's definitely a leader & a popular locker room guy. I think from day one a lot of us knew he wasn't going to be a consistent double digit sack guy. He puts a lot of pressure on QBs, but he has had trouble finishing his whole career and his missed quite a few sacks either by over-running the play or not being able to hold onto the QB.

He will probably get a decent contract from another team considering he'll only be 32 when the 2021 season starts, but I think his best days are behind him. Since he was born, raised & went to college in the Carolinas, I could see him joining the Panthers.
              Excellent post. Welcome!

Comment

• RobH
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Tokyo, Japan
                • University English Lecturer
                • Send PM

Nice post. Welcome aboard. I don't think they'll cut him this year. They don't have any cap problems, and he is still a very valuable player in Bradley's scheme. I'd be willing to bet that you're right about him going to Carolina next year, because I don't think the Chargers will want to pay him what he may want. We don't know his demands, so it's hard to say, but if his agent does like most agents, then I'd say his demands would be too high.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

If I was him, I would do a lucrative one year deal for a defense that can utilize him better to get the flashier stats like the Bucs.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Why have 3 pass rushers off the edge when you can just have two?

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      Why have 3 pass rushers off the edge when you can just have two?
                      That's just one way of attacking the offense on obvious passing downs. You can also move Melvin and Bosa inside to rush from the interior while Nwosu rushes from the edge.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

That's just one way of attacking the offense on obvious passing downs. You can also move Melvin and Bosa inside to rush from the interior while Nwosu rushes from the edge.
                        The coaches have been doing that. But it just isn't enough. Depth on the DL is important, and the team is a mess in regards to that. The DL has flaws. Not having good depth on the DL has contributed to why the team has been awful at getting off the field on third down, albeit the secondary plays a part in that too. Gus and Lynn have been complacent on the players they pick in their rotation.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

One thing we need to do more of is rotating the pass rushers. Bosa and Ingram both play a lot of snaps. It is hard to be effective rushing the passer in the 4th qtr when you legs are rubber because you have already played almost every snap of the game. Teams that have the best pass rush have depth and use it to keep players fresh, while continuing to test the OL. Nwosu needs to get better to get more regular downs to keep Bosa and Ingram fresh, especially if we want all 3 on the field at the same time on pass situations. Rochelle helps some on run downs, keeping Bosa off the field on some run snaps, but Nwosu needs to be part of the solution, and he isn't there yet.

The situational rushing thing on passing downs is all about getting 2 guys off the edge and then a push up the middle. Ingram and Bosa are effective inside rushers, but unless someone else develops, one of them is needed on one edge, otherwise the pocket won't close and the QB can shuffle/slide out for big gains. Rochelle is OK as an inside rusher, as is Tillery, but both needs to step up their game as inside rushers, because neither adds much outside.

White was used as the starter at OTTO, but Nwosu still got some snaps there, depending on who the TE/ down-and-distance was. White can't stand in and take on blocking TE or FB, so either Nwosu or Egbule is still necessary at OTTO, at least situationally. Otherwise teams will just run outside of us when the TE blocks down on the ILB, and the pulling OG or FB will kick White out, giving a offenses a nice running lane off tackle/outside.

Comment

Working...
                          X