Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
    There is also a possibility that he doubts he could get a ring here. Not saying thats the case, but it is another thing for him to consider.
    Well, he is under contract for another season, isn't he? If the FO thinks he wants out after next season, then the time to trade him is NOW. Or he walks and you get N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

I'm putting on my third flame-retardant suit since September, in anticipation of the of the inevitable salvo that's sure to follow my previous statement.

But really, much as I like Rivers, if he doesn't want to be here....

Now, I understand that THERE IS NOTHING I'VE SEEN ANYWHERE that would indicate in any way that Rivers wants out of San Diego. I'm just responding to Hoarse's speculative post. I have no agenda.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Acee's article is nothing but positive, IMO. There are a TON of options, and that only includes our own guys. If there was ever a year to make a bunch of big-ish moves in Free Agency, this is it.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Wat? A positive Acee artical??? Wat?
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Go big or go home.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              Abundant possibilities ahead for Bolts
              By Kevin Acee3 P.M.JAN. 2, 2015

No need to fret.

In fact, it’s a good time to be a Chargers fan, a Chargers general manager, a Charger.

If Philip Rivers wants to keep playing for a number of years – and doing it in San Diego – then the Chargers have the ability to make it so.

This is the time the team has been eyeing to set the table for the heart of the Tom Telesco-Mike McCoy era.

With some substance to the roster already secured and ample money to spend on augmentation, the Chargers can do whatever they want, whatever they need, this offseason.

“We’ve got some more maneuverability in 2015,” Telesco said this week. “I think we‘re set up to make a run here. That’s one of the reasons I am excited for next year. I’m still trying to get over this past year, but I am excited for next year.”

There are some tough decisions to be made, eating money and working around some inordinate payouts. But Telesco showed by axing Derek Cox last year that he’s above saving face.

Telesco said the week after the season was not the time to make decisions. Emotions are too raw. But he also acknowledged his staff’s work has already begun and seemed eager to get their planning meetings commenced in advance of the Senior Bowl and Combine.

He should be.

At present, the Chargers have about $25 million in salary cap space – based on the projected league cap ceiling of $140 million -- and it doesn’t take a guru to create another $15 million or more for Telesco to work with. (The team has even more coming off the books in 2016, so pushing some money back is not unthinkable.)

“I think we have a really, really bright future here,” Telesco said. “… I’d say in the last two years we’ve built a really strong foundation here and set a culture. That’s the first thing you have to do, and a lot of times it’s the hardest thing to do. I feel like we’ve accomplished that. Now it’s about adding some more pieces, developing the pieces we have. That’s what we intend to do.”

Toward that end, here are some of the issues and opportunities to be aware of as the Chargers prepare for their final season in San Diego. (Kidding. Sorry, couldn’t help it.)

• The offensive line needs at least two new players in 2015, and that is with an eye on the interior. But bolstering the front begins with a contract for free agent-to-be King Dunlap that is laden with playing-time incentives. The 16 games he played in 2014 comprised the first full season of his career.

• Left guard Chad Rinehart was a revolving door in 2014, not coming anywhere close to the adequate level of 2013 that got him a two-year, $5.1 million deal. He’s due to cost $4.25 million in cap space. That could be worthwhile backup money, but the Chargers could eat the $1 million in dead money to cut their losses and invest the $3.25 in cap savings in a top-flight starter.

• Go ahead and pencil in D.J. Fluker at right guard. Regardless, Johnnie Troutman is no longer needed, and the $660,000 cap savings can be applied toward the guard and tackle that are needed.

• So we’re clear, the Chargers cannot let inside linebacker Donald Butler go, lest they consume $9 million in dead money. For the record, Telesco said he was pleased with how Butler improved late in the season before being placed on injured reserve with a dislocated elbow.

• Outside linebacker Jarret Johnson can still play and is part the team's emotional core. But Johnson will be 34 years old in August and is unsure he will continue playing. He is due $5 million ($7.5 million cap hit) in 2015. Letting him go saves $5 million. It’s been a certainty since Johnson re-did his deal last offseason that if he remained for 2015 it would require another restructure.

• Running back Donald Brown wasn’t a bust as much as he was thrust into a role he was never meant to play. He ended up averaging 2.6 yards on 85 carries. The merits of savings realized versus dead money accrued by releasing him is hardly worth mulling, in that Telesco expressed his admiration for Brown and virtually guaranteed he will be back in ’15. So the focus should be on the need to sign a dependable No.1 back. With Brown, Danny Woodhead and Branden Oliver certain to return, the decision comes down to an incentive-laden deal for Ryan Mathews or investing in a draft pick or free agent.

• The Chargers for the first time in at least a decade had enviable cornerback depth in 2014. Now, the two players who started a combined 28 games are free agents. Both Brandon Flowers and Shareece Wright could be back at the right price, though at least one of them likely will land elsewhere. The team feels Jason Verrett is going to be special, so they need just one real starter. Flowers, who will be 29 next month, is the likely target, but the market will likely dictate the direction the sides go.

• Defensive end Corey Liuget has proved he’s a force for real. Besides signing some help for him up front, the Chargers could extend Liuget’s contract and, in the process, slice his $6.9 million cap figure by about half.

• Kendall Reyes, whose career began with such promise, is merely a guy. It’s even debatable whether he’s enough to justify even his $952,908 salary or bad enough to prompt the Chargers to move on and save almost $1 million against the cap. They don’t need to let him go for such negligible savings. He’s probably worth keeping, but cutting him would speak volumes.

• John Phillips played 202 snaps in 2014, caught one pass for one yard and blocked adequately (at best), hardly worth the $2.6 million (signing bonus plus salary) he earned and perhaps not worth the continued investment. He has $1.3 million left in his signing bonus proration versus a $1.8 million cap number if they keep him.

• There are other ways to trim $1 million here and there, including letting linebacker Reggie Walker walk or re-doing Malcom Floyd’s contract, which carries a $3 million base salary and $550,000 roster bonus ($4.1 million cap hit) for its final year. Punter Mike Scifres is also due $3.5 million and counts $4.4 million against the cap, and one more lengthy contract for him could create immediate space.

• Whatever savings the Chargers do realize on any releases or restructures will go toward the above-mentioned needs and also some other rentals. Two areas on the much-improved defense must be addressed. One is a pair of outside linebackers, perhaps even a significant addition there to enhance Melvin Ingram’s development as a pass rusher. Second is the need to retain or replace strong safety Marcus Gilchrist, whose growth and versatility make him an attractive free agent target.

• Free safety Eric Weddle, the team’s only first-team All-Pro, is set to play the final year of a five-year, $40 million contract widely questioned in 2011 but which has proved worth every penny. He turns 30 on Sunday and just finished arguably his finest season so far. He seems genuinely interested in finishing his career in San Diego, but it will take a high-end deal and improvements around him – both of which the Chargers can afford. He’s due $7.5 million in ’15, and extending him could trim his $10.1 million cap hit by at least a couple million.

• The best and biggest for last. Rivers is due $15.75 million in the final year of his contract, and extending him could reduce his $17.4 million cap hit by $5 million or more. Money won’t be the issue. Doing all they can to make sure the offensive line is bolstered, at least one wide receiver is added and the running game is dependable – those are the keys. An educated guess says Rivers’ musing about not playing beyond 2015 will dissipate as he gets further from a season that hurt him so much emotionally and physically, and he’ll get excited by the prospect of a roster that is all the Chargers can afford to make it.
              Dick.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                Dick.
                Agree that he is a dick, but this may very well be their last year here.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Agree that he is a dick, but this may very well be their last year here.
                  the facts on the ground say otherwise. There is clear momentum building for solving the SD stadium issue and there is nowhere else for them to go that puts them in a better stadium making more $ in 2016 or even 2017 as construction takes time after getting all enviro studies done, permits, etc. People can just stop with this Red Herring argument there is some imminent threat of the team leaving the following season because a big deal hasn't been announced in SD yet.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    the facts on the ground say otherwise. There is clear momentum building for solving the SD stadium issue and there is nowhere else for them to go that puts them in a better stadium making more $ in 2016 or even 2017 as construction takes time after getting all enviro studies done, permits, etc. People can just stop with this Red Herring argument there is some imminent threat of the team leaving the following season because a big deal hasn't been announced in SD yet.
                    What facts are those? The only fact we know is that they agreed to not opt-out one more year.

While it's great that the city actually has a mayor that is speaking with the Chargers, I just think the likelihood of getting two thirds of the voters in SD to vote in favor of public assistance on a stadium is longer than TBF inviting Frank Reich over for a BBQ.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

What facts are those? The only fact we know is that they agreed to not opt-out one more year.
                      There is NO PLACE FOR THEM TO GO WITH A NEW STADIUM WAITING FOR THEM TO START MAKING MORE $ THAN THEY DO NOW IN SD. All previous LA proposals required the Chargers to give up partial ownership stake. The projected debt repayment on the AEG proposal that was supposedly a slam dunk, showed the Chargers would not in fact make a larger profit than in San Diego for something like 10-20 years IIRC. The family and team has repeatedly said they want to stay in San Diego. Do you need them to sign a contract on TV saying they will NEVER leave or something before it sinks in?

While it's great that the city actually has a mayor that is speaking with the Chargers, I just think the likelihood of getting two thirds of the voters in SD to vote in favor of public assistance on a stadium is longer than TBF inviting Frank Reich over for a BBQ.
                      Todd Gloria was interviewed on TV the other day about his vision for priorities in San Diego for 2015. #1 was catching up on all the backlogged infrastructure spending and repairs, I don't remember #2- but #3 was a new stadium for the Chargers and he's waiting for a clear proposal from the team showing all the proposed particulars of where it should be built, costs, financing options, etc. This is a monumental shift from a Union backed, progressive who holds great sway on the City Council and with Democrat voters. Faulkner has also been very outspoken about the Chargers being a part of the fabric of what makes San Diego a great city and wanting to find a solution to ensure they stay. That is only the stuff being said in PUBLIC- but you can bet there is much more going on behind the scenes and frankly no need to poison the well in advance by leaking every detail discussed to let the naysayers mobilize around rumors or ideas being floated. Also, there is no 2/3rd voter requirement either according to 1 of the interviews I saw- don't know where that came from. My bet is it will be a countywide referendum anyways and such an important vote won't be left to the whims of a few hundred thousand sour grapes city voters to decide for 3+ million residents of the region. It likely will take more than 1 such vote as it has in other cities too before they hit on the magic formula.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                          Sounded to me health might be a big concern. He has a bazillion kids, he probably would like to be able to play with them, pick them up, etc., without being in massive pain (or worse).
                          This is what I was thinking.
                          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                          X