Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    Was Freeney released? Or did you mean Clary?
    I haven't heard anything about Freeney either, I'm assuming there is a good chance he is gone but maybe TT is waiting to sign a new free agent rush linebacker before cutting Dwight.
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• BoltBacker
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Las Vegas, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      We are still one of the oldest teams in the league. Freeney, JJ and Hardwick lowers us though. I think TT moving forward will be putting money in long term younger players. I can see an aging vet on a 1 or 2 year contract but not taking on some of these big money 3 year deals. AD, Marshall and Johnson would fit that mold. Using a draft pick to get older might not make sense to TT.

I expect TT to continue to build the team for long term success. While maintaining a minimal amount of older expensive players. We will be extending 2 aging guys in Rivers/Weddle soon anyways.

Out of all these guys Wilfork might make the most sense on a really short contract. But the other guys will need to be restructured which extends the contract in most cases. Now if they are outright cut thats a different story if they are willing to take 1-2 year contracts.
      Agree in principal with that but I can't stop thinking how a veteran Receiver would mesh with PR. If we can't get a Randall Cobb , Marshall or Johnson might be an opportunity to be a big upgrade to Floyd and a compliment to Keenan Allen. Draft a WR and this move gives the guy a two years to develop.

I know Rivers has some years left but I don't think he wants to waste 2015 developing a rookie. Rivers could be scary good with Marshall, Johnson or Cobb. Draft the RB early, a WR later for development.

Weddle is in his prime right now, I don't see him breaking the bank on his next contract. He will be 31 next year going into negotiations, we will have a bit of leverage with his age and the fact he Loves San Diego. Don't look for the contract to hurt us much, not saying it will be cheap just reasonable.

Comment

• RobH
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Tokyo, Japan
        • University English Lecturer
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
        Was Freeney released? Or did you mean Clary?
        As I remember, Freeney is an FA. The team hasn't told if they want him back. He wants to come back, but if not he's willing to move on. He wants to play one more year.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Some good solid oline and receiver FA in the 26-28 age rand would be were I look long at free agent opportunities vs a top 3 draft pick. Now with a fa WR at 27 you can look for a development WR prospect in rounds 4-6 to groom for 3 or 4 years behind the FA you will likely want to cut in three or four years.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Freeney isnt a Charger. Hes a free agent.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
              Agree in principal with that but I can't stop thinking how a veteran Receiver would mesh with PR. If we can't get a Randall Cobb , Marshall or Johnson might be an opportunity to be a big upgrade to Floyd and a compliment to Keenan Allen. Draft a WR and this move gives the guy a two years to develop.

I know Rivers has some years left but I don't think he wants to waste 2015 developing a rookie. Rivers could be scary good with Marshall, Johnson or Cobb. Draft the RB early, a WR later for development.

Weddle is in his prime right now, I don't see him breaking the bank on his next contract. He will be 31 next year going into negotiations, we will have a bit of leverage with his age and the fact he Loves San Diego. Don't look for the contract to hurt us much, not saying it will be cheap just reasonable.
              I like Cobb but he played around 90% of his snaps from the slot. The easier position to fill in the draft. I like Johnson and Marshall on a 1 or 2 year deal but they have huge contracts. So using a draft pick and taking on huge money in aging vets is a big risk. Yes i think they can help Rivers but for the money id rather go after Maclin. Nice compliment to Allen. And if we can get back to the top 5 run games in the league again Rivers will kill teams with those 2.

If we can somehow reduce Johnson or Marshalls demands monetarily fine... i would look to replace Royal this year in the draft. Maybe Dorsett.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Las Vegas, NV
                • Send PM

This is a very interesting off-season, I have no clue what Telesco is thinking. So many possible directions to go.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

With all the cap space next season we can do some creative bonus structures to go after just about anyone...
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• BoltBacker
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Las Vegas, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                    I like Cobb but he played around 90% of his snaps from the slot. The easier position to fill in the draft. I like Johnson and Marshall on a 1 or 2 year deal but they have huge contracts. So using a draft pick and taking on huge money in aging vets is a big risk. Yes i think they can help Rivers but for the money id rather go after Maclin. Nice compliment to Allen. And if we can get back to the top 5 run games in the league again Rivers will kill teams with those 2.

If we can somehow reduce Johnson or Marshalls demands monetarily fine... i would look to replace Royal this year in the draft. Maybe Dorsett.
                    I would be happy either way. Andre Johnson is 2015 $16M and 2016 $14.6M on cap, so your on the money. But Brandon Marshall is $9.5M and $9.9M for the next two which is good value if he is healthy.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
                      I would be happy either way. Andre Johnson is 2015 $16M and 2016 $14.6M on cap, so your on the money. But Brandon Marshall is $9.5M and $9.9M for the next two which is good value if he is healthy.
                      I think Marshall has a 3rd year at close to 10 million. But the dead money hit if you cut him would be only a little over a million i think. So its like 20 million over 2 years. Its a lot if a guy like Maclin is less for more years.

I like Marshall but im not sure at 10 million per.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I'm not seeing any value in giving any WR that age 10 to 15 mil a year when you could add a player like Suh for more with less of a cap hit and have him in his prime!
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• BoltBacker
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Las Vegas, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                          I'm not seeing any value in giving any WR that age 10 to 15 mil a year when you could add a player like Suh for more with less of a cap hit and have him in his prime!
                          Suh less of a cap hit?? I want some of what your smoking. Suh will probably make more this year than Marshall for the next two.

Comment

Working...
                          X