• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

I still hope O-line is the number one priority, these other moves are only if there is room afterward. Hate to say it but I like what Dallas did and think we can do something similar. Protect Rivers is number one and two, everything after is cake.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Remember how ever much I smoke, the boys who drew up the salery cap rules smoked more!

Signing bonus is spread over 4 years... 18 mill signing bonus plus 2 mill annual salary with a year two roster bonus of 12 mill and year two salery of 4 mill year three salery 8 mil year 4 10 mil. 4 years 50 mil. And year one cap hit of 6.5 mil.

Pass the bong please...
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• BoltBacker
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Las Vegas, NV
        • Send PM

You just lost me, except for the bong part :wtf2:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Well just know a creative deal using signing bonus and year two roster bonuses could allow us to land a top second contract FA who will be hitting his prime for the same cap allocation you would use on a declining vet over the next two years.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            I think Marshall has a 3rd year at close to 10 million. But the dead money hit if you cut him would be only a little over a million i think. So its like 20 million over 2 years. Its a lot if a guy like Maclin is less for more years.

I like Marshall but im not sure at 10 million per.
            Correct me if I am wrong, but after they are cut, their previous contract means nothing. They are a FA....new contract, new terms. I definitely would NOT trade a pick for those bad contracts, but starting from scratch after they are cut is a whole different ball game.

As to Cobb. He is a slot guy only IMO. He is very good at it, but I would not pay 9MM a year for him at all. He also played with Nelson on the outside and in a great system with a great QB. If he leaves Gb, his best days are behind him IMO.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
              John Clayton mentioned the Chargers would/might have intrest in Brandon Marshall.

He has certainly matured and in his own words got the help he needed. I watched an interview
              with him some time ago and was shocked at how much he's changed.

Apparently he could be had for a 5th or 6th round pick......
              What did Clayton say? Was it on sports center? Did he mention other teams?

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The reason it is a 5th or 6th is because according to over the cap (http://overthecap.com/player/brandon-marshall/106), his contract becomes fully guaranteed after the 3rd day of the NFL year. So, while he has a fair contract value of $7.5 mill (plus $1.9 mill that the Bears eat in bonus), it is kind of a high risk thing since he can't even play catch with Rivers yet.

The big thing is that it is really hard to find FA WR and get them to have chemistry with your QB. So many WR become FA, and a few are huge successes and most are not. It just makes it a higher risk then the money. And Brandon Marshall is a higher risk then most. He is still a good player, regardless of what his stats say. They guy is still playing at a very high level, his stats are falling off because of Cutler and because Alshon Jeffry and Mertelleus Bennett are both playing at a very high level. But I would let him hit the streets before I tried to sign him, if even then because he is a time bomb in terms of his personel conduct and could be a liability under the new rules.

The good thing is that I think we can get Royal back and it will be cheaper. No one is going to give him the same kind of deal, despite the success he has had the last 2 years. If the right Wr comes along and we can upgrade, then Floyd and Royal could split one spot, but we don't HAVE to get a WR. Focus on upgrading the OL, and getting the TE back into the passing game. It protects Rivers and the D, controls the clock. 2 years ago, the running game was a huge part of why we were successful. We don't just need to build the OL for Rivers (although that is not a bad reason by itself), but because it helps Rivers and helps other units as well.
                Last edited by Steve; 03-06-2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The reason it is a 5th or 6th is because according to over the cap (http://overthecap.com/player/brandon-marshall/106), his contract becomes fully guaranteed after the 3rd day of the NFL year. So, while he has a fair contract value of $7.5 mill (plus $1.9 mill that the Bears eat in bonus), it is kind of a high risk thing since he can't even play catch with Rivers yet.

The big thing is that it is really hard to find FA WR and get them to have chemistry with your QB. So many WR become FA, and a few are huge successes and most are not. It just makes it a higher risk then the money. And Brandon Marshall is a higher risk then most. He is still a good player, regardless of what his stats say. They guy is still playing at a very high level, his stats are falling off because of Cutler and because Alshon Jeffry and Mertelleus Bennett are both playing at a very high level. But I would let him hit the streets before I tried to sign him, if even then because he is a time bomb in terms of his personel conduct and could be a liability under the new rules.

The good thing is that I think we can get Royal back and it will be cheaper. No one is going to give him the same kind of deal, despite the success he has had the last 2 years. If the right Wr comes along and we can upgrade, then Floyd and Royal could split one spot, but we don't HAVE to get a WR. Focus on upgrading the OL, and getting the TE back into the passing game. It protects Rivers and the D, controls the clock. 2 years ago, the running game was a huge part of why we were successful. We don't just need to build the OL for Rivers (although that is not a bad reason by itself), but because it helps Rivers and helps other units as well.
                  Not to mention that Royal is 2 years younger than Marshall.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                    John Clayton mentioned the Chargers would/might have intrest in Brandon Marshall.

He has certainly matured and in his own words got the help he needed. I watched an interview
                    with him some time ago and was shocked at how much he's changed.

Apparently he could be had for a 5th or 6th round pick......
                    Marshall to the Jets.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Las Vegas, NV
                      • Send PM

Non issue now with Marshall going to the Jets.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

We went after Steve smith last year, so when Andre Johnson gets released we should go after him too. Both play the game the same way. Andre is good in the locker room as well. I know he's 33 but I still feel like he's got a few years of production left.

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

from Cutler to Geno Smith....yikes
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...