Chiefs @ Chargers Game Day Thread (Wk 2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Maybe second down. We had been mauling them up front . I would have challenged the edge once in the first two plays.
    The reason the play action is a perfect call on first down is precisely because we were mauling them. They sold out to stop the run and we ran right into the teeth of their defense. If we fake the run, I think we would have had somebody open in the end zone and our shiny new QB can throw darts, so he does not need much of a window.

If the play action had failed, then I would have spread the Chiefs out with heavy dose of pass personnel and run the ball with Ekeler.

Comment

• Classic
      Hall Of Fame
      • Dec 2014
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFCWEST View Post
      Taylor is in the hospital right now. I'm just hoping this isn't a life threating injury.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Having a spy on Mahomes is easier said then done. That’s the joys of losing players like Derwin and Drue.
        That's taking one guy away from the pass rush and pass defense: why do people think this is a good strategy?

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Im really pretty stoked for Herberts future. He made some clear mistakes. That int when he had an easy 1st down was a momentum shifter for sure. He could be a Josh Allen type for us. Cam Newton. I expect to see him run more going forward. If coach lets him continue to play.

But letting Mahomes jog for 3rd and long conversions is really all i can taste at the moment. Its just a massive fear that we couldn't adjust to that.

Derwin helps there. But how do we leave the middle open for him to jog like that for so long. Hes like the Dom Reyes(UFC) of QBs. Can nobody square up on the guy?

Does Bobby Wagner allow that to happen? I think he is in the right position to stop those. Our LBs need some work.

Missing Adrian Phillips with Derwin out. He would help us right now imo.

We fought hard today. And while we didnt turn the ball over...you can see that it doesnt always equal wins. Not if you are out of position and dont make corrections to fix things.

Maybe thats who Lynn wants no turnovers....because it hides his ability to fix obvious issues?

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Im really pretty stoked for Herberts future. He made some clear mistakes. That int when he had an easy 1st down was a momentum shifter for sure.

But letting Mahomes jog for 3rd and long conversions is really all i can taste at the moment. Its just a massive fear that we couldn't adjust to that.

Derwin helps there. But how do we leave the middle open for him to jog like that for so long. Hes like the Dom Reyes(UFC) of QBs. Can nobody square up on the guy?

Does Bobby Wagner allow that to happen? I think he is in the right position to stop those. Our LBs need some work.

Missing Adrian Phillips with Derwin out. He would help us right now imo.

We fought hard today. And while we didnt turn the ball over...you can see that it doesnt always equal wins. Not if you are out of position and dont make corrections to fix things.

Maybe thats who Lynn wants no turnovers....because it hides his ability to fix obvious issues?
            Its a lack of discipline with the pass rush: one DT should always be bull rushing on those plays, keeping in front of Mahomes.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Taylor is in the hospital right now. I'm just hoping this isn't a life threating injury.
              Wow - his injury must be worse than I thought

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet47m

#Chargers coach Anthony Lynn on Tyrod Taylor: “If he’s 100 percent ready to go, he’s our starter.”

Wow, his injury must be something worse than sore ribs.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                Chargers Hall of Fame
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                When Herbert threw the Pic I instantly knew how this game would end. Almost like we’ve been here before. Mahomes not exactly new to the league so watching him pick up 24 on a 3rd and 20 kind of pisses me off.
                Mahomes picking up 24 on 3rd and 20 SHOULD piss you off. Opposing team's success against us on 3rd and long (especially when pivotal) has to be astronomically high. It's Bradley's biggest Achilles heel. I'm sure losing Jenkins hurt us a bit as well (already down James). But that was the one that sealed KC's chances to tie and win.

The INT was the gamechanger. And that's fully on Herbert. But some slack gets cut, for sure.

Not scoring the TD on our last drive before OT by running two straight up the gut felt much like the turtling of the days of Norv. Once the Chargers go into turtle mode, we lose. Always have. ESPECIALLY when you play the Chiefs. Sadly, Lynn continues his turtling ways the remainder of the game, including punting in OT.

This game was, surprisingly, winnable. And was being won. But the three factors above were the biggest contributors, IMO.

And David needs to learn how to tackle. Immediately. Wrap them up.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                  Chargers Hall of Fame
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The reason the play action is a perfect call on first down is precisely because we were mauling them. They sold out to stop the run and we ran right into the teeth of their defense. If we fake the run, I think we would have had somebody open in the end zone and our shiny new QB can throw darts, so he does not need much of a window.

If the play action had failed, then I would have spread the Chiefs out with heavy dose of pass personnel and run the ball with Ekeler.
                  Yup. You got it exactly. But Lynn obviously got scared from the earlier INT and shut it all down. No doubt about it.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Herbert should just methodically move the ball down the field vs. chancing it. Why? because lynn will will just try and run it up the middle three times in a row for zero gain at the goal line. After multiple years of failure you'd think he would learn. Definitely a square peg masher into round hole thinker!

:beer:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Mahomes picking up 24 on 3rd and 20 SHOULD piss you off. Opposing team's success against us on 3rd and long (especially when pivotal) has to be astronomically high. It's Bradley's biggest Achilles heel. I'm sure losing Jenkins hurt us a bit as well (already down James). But that was the one that sealed KC's chances to tie and win.

The INT was the gamechanger. And that's fully on Herbert. But some slack gets cut, for sure.

Not scoring the TD on our last drive before OT by running two straight up the gut felt much like the turtling of the days of Norv. Once the Chargers go into turtle mode, we lose. Always have. ESPECIALLY when you play the Chiefs. Sadly, Lynn continues his turtling ways the remainder of the game, including punting in OT.

This game was, surprisingly, winnable. And was being won. But the three factors above were the biggest contributors, IMO.

And David needs to learn how to tackle. Immediately. Wrap them up.
                      Solid points. Bradley never changes on those 3rd in long situations. Funny how alike Lynn and Bradley are in their stubbornness.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        Pretty much retired......
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                        • Send PM

Two plays.

Justin throwing that pick when he didn't need to force that throw. Rookie mistake......forgivable.

Bosa jumping offsides on the play that produced a pick. Perhaps if PM knows it's not a free play, he doesn't make that throw....I don't know. Still in my book unforgivable........

The thing is that I see a really bright future for this kid and this team. Let him play Anthony and let's see where he takes us. Like I said in the second quarter......"WOW....I have a QUARTERBACK!!!!!"

Let's start riding the JH train boys and girls.........

Comment

• chris9341
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Im surprised I don't see anyone talking about the option plays that the Chargers ran with Herbert and Eckler. That could be a deadly play for the Chargers if Herbert reads the play right.

Comment

Working...
                          X