Chiefs @ Chargers Game Day Thread (Wk 2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
    Im surprised I don't see anyone talking about the option plays that the Chargers ran with Herbert and Eckler. That could be a deadly play for the Chargers if Herbert reads the play right.
    I did when the plays occured. Herbert may not be RB shifty, but fast enough to tuck it and run if the defensive player commits on Ekeler. I don't think TT has enough speed anymore to run this successfully, but JH did it well. I'm not thinking its a major part of his game going forward, though.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
      Im surprised I don't see anyone talking about the option plays that the Chargers ran with Herbert and Eckler. That could be a deadly play for the Chargers if Herbert reads the play right.
      He should - the Ducks use that a lot and he had a lot of success with it.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

That's taking one guy away from the pass rush and pass defense: why do people think this is a good strategy?
        Because people play the hindsight game.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Florio the clown

@ProFootballTalk: Chargers are only team in football to actually have a home-field advantage from an empty stadium.

Comment

• charger1993
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Herbert played well, im still confused as to why every ball he throws is flat bullet, no air under it, idk if itd a mental thing or he was never taught to put some touch on it, but he'll learn, he played well to be thrown to the wolves.

Our oline played amazing surprisingly, pipkins looked solid at rt, lamp held hia ground, and somehow tevi wasnt a turnstile the whole game, i wont be surprised if our oline doesnt get randomly drugged tested.

Our defense played really good, nasir is looking like hes understanding the d alil better, made no game changing plays but he was flying around, our lbs are alil sus, idk how we let mahomes scamper for 20 yards, murrary flashed some "see the tipped pass to hill" but you could see hes still a rook and learning the d.

We need to run a 2 back set more have kelly and ekeler in the backfield more, keep the d on their toes

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

I just saw on NFL Network that Lynn was quoted as saying if Taylor is healthy, he is our starter........ I guess Lynn is so old school, stubborn, and blind that he cannot see that Herbert is way the hell better than Taylor on Taylor's best day.......

herbert made our running game better because KC actually had to respect the threat to pass........

next week Lynn is going to stupidly start taylor against a weak carolina team which Chargers should be able to barely beat even with Taylor.......

Lynn, in his presser repeated multiple times how unacceptable that one pick was.......???....... a great coach would have been talking about how great Herbert played with little prep and against the SB champs........he can say that Herbert will learn not to throw picks like that but Lynn should have been praising his young stud QB....... buildiong him up for the rest of this season......

Lynn is so obsessed with turnovers and a running gamer that he does not have a clue that yoiu have to have a threat to pass in org=der to open up the running game.....

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
                Herbert played well, im still confused as to why every ball he throws is flat bullet, no air under it, idk if itd a mental thing or he was never taught to put some touch on it, but he'll learn, he played well to be thrown to the wolves.

Our oline played amazing surprisingly, pipkins looked solid at rt, lamp held hia ground, and somehow tevi wasnt a turnstile the whole game, i wont be surprised if our oline doesnt get randomly drugged tested.

Our defense played really good, nasir is looking like hes understanding the d alil better, made no game changing plays but he was flying around, our lbs are alil sus, idk how we let mahomes scamper for 20 yards, murrary flashed some "see the tipped pass to hill" but you could see hes still a rook and learning the d.

We need to run a 2 back set more have kelly and ekeler in the backfield more, keep the d on their toes
                The pass to Ekler had air under it..... as well as the INT........

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
                  I just saw on NFL Network that Lynn was quoted as saying if Taylor is healthy, he is our starter........ I guess Lynn is so old school, stubborn, and blind that he cannot see that Herbert is way the hell better than Taylor on Taylor's best day.......

herbert made our running game better because KC actually had to respect the threat to pass........

next week Lynn is going to stupidly start taylor against a weak carolina team which Chargers should be able to barely beat even with Taylor.......

Lynn, in his presser repeated multiple times how unacceptable that one pick was.......???....... a great coach would have been talking about how great Herbert played with little prep and against the SB champs........he can say that Herbert will learn not to throw picks like that but Lynn should have been praising his young stud QB....... buildiong him up for the rest of this season......

Lynn is so obsessed with turnovers and a running gamer that he does not have a clue that yoiu have to have a threat to pass in org=der to open up the running game.....
                  I actually liked that he didn’t praise Herbert. It’s what the great coaches do. They don’t let their players rest on their laurels. It’s a Parcells thing that is most evident in Belichick. But you see it in other good coaches as well. It was a stupid mistake and a I’m glad Lynn called him out on it. Herbert should be mentally tough enough to appreciate that type of coaching.

Comment

• charger1993
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

The pass to ekler did have some air on it, the int not so much it was kinda flat for how far he threw it, im not hating hes a rookie hes gonna make mistakes, but on that int if it had a touch more air under it keenan mighta been able to get it. Again im not hating on him, its just what i observed during the game, im happy with how he played, and in no way should tyrod start over him. If tyrod played today we would be lucky with 7 points. All in all im sad we lost but ecstatic in what i saw from herbert and yhe team today, everyone played hard, and we livedin kc backfield

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

That pass to Allen in front of the safety and over the DB was a thing of beauty. It had plenty of air and touch on it.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

The int was not "good air".

Herbert was throwing across his body, without stepping into his pass. When a QB doesn't step into his pass, it tends to sail on him, and the step part is where the power comes from (abs and/or abdominal torque).

Herbert isn't like Rivers who knew just how hard to throw it for every occasion, but he is not an Elway or Farve type guy who only knows how to throw lasers. He has some touch to it. And that will probably improve some. At the combine he showed some nice touch. Some of that is throwing the each pass hundreds of times, against different coverages, against different amounts of the receiver being open. When they go back and look at the film of every throw, he will start to figure out what speed to throw at for each occasion.

Those early throws that he was a little wild with and needed to take some velocity off of ... I think everyone needs to remember that he just found out he was starting his first game and was a huge suprise for him. I think he was probably amped up some, especially after a pretty god 1st series. I just think he needed to settle down some, and sure enough he did. Plus, it is not like he had time to start figuring this stuff out in preseason. He has literally never played a down vs another NFL team. He is way behind the learning curve, but makes up for it with his talent level.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Irmo, SC
                          • Send PM

This was just one of these where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. A lot of positives to build on but these 23 yard field goals have to stop. Sorry I know I have harped on that, but it just can't happen.

Comment

Working...
                          X