X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think we pretty much would have a 1-3 record as well with Rivers. Maybe 2-2 but no guarantees. After Seeing Herbert play my worries are still the oline and the coaching staff. Rivers has at best 2 additional years of play and then he's done. Why? because he's not going to play for what they'll pay after another two seasons. the backup QB's might actually look better due to youth and vitality alone.
    I think we would be 3-1 with Rivers with the loss being to TB because of the poor play of the defense. I think we would have beaten KC because our defense played great for most of that game and Rivers would have put up more points than Herbert did, which would have been the difference. I think Rivers would have put up more points against Carolina too.

That said, I think Herbert has a higher ceiling than Rivers because he is a superior athlete and I am glad that we have a QB with such great potential on our team. 15 more years of Herbert would be more than enough to offset the one learning curve lesser season by Herbert than what Rivers could do now.

Having Rivers now only would have mattered if we would have been a serious playoff contender and with our injuries, that may be a questionable view to have.

Comment

• PR#1
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I've watched them all. That is why I know what I am talking about.
      Really ? So you know then in 1 of the 3 games you are talking about Rivers came out of the game in the first 1/4 of the 4th quarter.

So why would you give him a hard time for only averaging 217 yards ?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

We would be 1-3 with Rivers. Topcat would be in high dundgeon, it would be terrible to behold.
        There would have been some ugly interceptions were we would get a micro frame by micro frame review on the evil of hero ball.

I'm glad that agonizing spectacle at the side of the road was put out of its misery.
        This mess is something fresh and new.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
          We would be 1-3 with Rivers. Topcat would be in high dundgeon, it would be terrible to behold.
          There would have been some ugly interceptions were we would get a micro frame by micro frame review on the evil of hero ball.

I'm glad that agonizing spectacle at the side of the road was put out of its misery.
          This mess is something fresh and new.
          Herbert is about the only thing that dont look like a mess this season.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think we would be 3-1 with Rivers with the loss being to TB because of the poor play of the defense. I think we would have beaten KC because our defense played great for most of that game and Rivers would have put up more points than Herbert did, which would have been the difference. I think Rivers would have put up more points against Carolina too.

That said, I think Herbert has a higher ceiling than Rivers because he is a superior athlete and I am glad that we have a QB with such great potential on our team. 15 more years of Herbert would be more than enough to offset the one learning curve lesser season by Herbert than what Rivers could do now.

Having Rivers now only would have mattered if we would have been a serious playoff contender and with our injuries, that may be a questionable view to have.
            I would say no to your win ratio. Why? Because this oline is still not sound and Herbie made plays that Rivers couldn't under the same conditions.
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

I've watched them all. That is why I know what I am talking about.
              Lol if you have seen them all then you don't know what your talking about.

Comment

• DontEverGiveUp
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The stats do not support the observation that the Colts are a solid running team as you contended unless you consider solid and dead last in YPA to mean the same thing.

You have given no consideration to Rivers' lack of attempts in citing his lower yardage totals in recent weeks.

You have given no consideration to the play calling on early downs even though the very analyst you cited, Rosenthal, made the point very clearly that too many early down running calls were hurting Rivers, which is beyond obvious.

You mischaracterized what happened in Rivers' first game this season. You wrongfully blamed Rivers for developments that were not his fault.

You failed to consider what Rivers' stats would have been absent the dropped TD by Hilton and the dropped pass INT by Ali-Cox.

You mischaracterized the effectiveness of the defense for the Colts and the effectiveness of Rivers when you made the absurd reerence to Rivers' performance being Dilferesque.

You have failed to consider the impact of the #1 WR being hampered and ineffective, the #2 and #3 WRs being out, the #1 TE being out and the #1 RB being out would naturally have on any team's offense.

In short, your analysis is very poor.
                Rivers to Velo:
                "He turned the corner on you"

Comment

• DontEverGiveUp
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

I stand by my conclusions, based on what I have observed. The stats support those observations and sportswriters who have written about what the Colts have accomplished this season so far by and large agree with my observations. Some posters are on this board are understandably supportive of Rivers, but their emotional attachment to him tends to cloud their judgment when evaluating his play this season. There is a reason the Chargers decided to move from Rivers, and I think that reason will become evident as the season progresses. The great coaches and GMs know when it is time to move on from a player who was once great. Bill Walsh knew when it was time to move on from Joe Montana, who was considered the GOAT in the early '90s after leading the 49ers to four Super Bowls. A lot of 49ers fans were quite upset about it, like a lot of Chargers fans were about Rivers being shown the door. But Montana was in his late 30s and was not the player he had been just a few years earlier. Bill Walsh had a younger talent waiting to take over in Steve Young. Montana went to KC and led the Chiefs to a couple of playoff berths but could never duplicate the success he had with the 49ers, with a Chiefs team that was pretty good at the time. The 49ers went on to win another Super Bowl with Steve Young. Rivers had a nice run with the Chargers, and should have won a ring in 2006-7 or 2009-10. It's not his fault the Chargers failed. But his best years are behind him and he has become an INT machine. The Chargers needed to look to their future, owning a top 10 draft pick and with a highly regarded QB class coming out of college. It has worked out well for the Chargers. Herbert so far looks far better than anyone expected - the best QB of the draft maybe. Rivers meanwhile is doing a nice job of managing the offense in Indy and not being asked to do too much.
                  Velo on record saying that Lynn is a great coach and Telesco is a great GM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I would say no to your win ratio. Why? Because this oline is still not sound and Herbie made plays that Rivers couldn't under the same conditions.
                    Herbert made some plays that Rivers could not, but Rivers would have made plays that Herbert would not have made based upon his superior ability to read the defense, his quicker release and superior anticipatory throwing. There were some negative plays that Herbert made that I think Rivers would have avoided making in the KC and CAR games.
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

It's pretty funny that some who couldn't wait to dump River sure do spend a lot of time watching his games and obsessing over everything he does on his new team.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        It's pretty funny that some who couldn't wait to dump River sure do spend a lot of time watching his games and obsessing over everything he does on his new team.
                        Quite frankly, i was kind of that way about Norv.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Tijuana
                          • Send PM

Loved Rivers, hope he signs a one day contract when he retires and goes to the HoF, love where Herbert is heading and hopefully in 14-16 years Herbert is breaking Rivers' franchise records. No need to dump on one to prop up the other

Comment

Working...
                          X