• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

I just don't get why you are so intent on on posting every negative thing you can find on Rivers. Even when he plays well you have something negative to say.

It was time to move on and I agree with that though I still think he would be a better mentor than Tyrod.

He is a Colt. I wish him well and Herbert seems to be doing fine so far so just let it go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

Now it's Reich's fault? Can't blame Rivers' WRs for his mistakes today, so now you blame the coach? lol Your love and devotion for Phil Rivers is admirable. The reality, however, is that Rivers is done. The Colts have had to come back in the 2nd half twice this season, and in those two games Rivers has thrown 4 INTs and turned it over on a safety and lost both games. The Colts I am sure are having buyer's remorse. One more game like today's and I'll bet they go back to Brissett. Rivers should have retired after last season. I'm just glad the Chargers recognized Rivers is done and decided to draft a QB this year.
      WTF?! I have set forth exactly this point at least half a dozen times in repsonse to your posts over the past week. Do not pretend for one second that I have not hammered this very issue in multiple posts in repsonse to you before today. No, the issue with Reich's play calling did not just surface today. It has been there since week 2.

Have you still not read Rosenthal's comment that you yourself quoted? I think most people understand that if you are the worst team in the league at running the ball, and the Colts are, then maybe running the ball should not be the focus of your offense, especially on early downs, because it 1) takes away the advantage of passing on early downs when the defense does not know whether the play is going to be a pass or run and 2) it creates known passing situations which favor the defense.

And the momentum killing bad play calling happened again today. Going more pass heavy on the first two drives produced a TD and a FG. The moment the Colts went run heavy on early downs, it was a momentum killing three and out on the third drive.

Reich has been killing the momentum of his offense in that fashion for the past four weeks now with his horrible play calling. As I have stated several times before today, Reich continues to be the best defense for Rivers.

So, if I were a Colts fan, I would be pissed at Reich because it is very obvious--statistically dead last in YPC, but they continue to choose to beat their head against a wall, having the 4th most attempts going into today. Yes, that is a stupid approach on multiple levels. The offense sucks because it is too run heavy and they are terrible at it and because they are too run heavy, they are harming their passing attack.

With what they have, their approach should be the exact opposite--going pass heavy and using that to set up the weaker running aspect of their offense.

Further, the Colts were awful on offense with Brissett, so they will not be using Brissett. I think there is a very good chance that they would be 1-4 right now with Brissett at QB. If you think Tyrod Taylor level ineffectiveness, you will not be too far off when it comes to Brissett.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Orlovsky is an absolute moron! The Colts are DEAD LAST in the NFL at running the ball. They are not built to run the ball. That is just flat out ignorance on his part.

The approach should be the exact opposite. Instead of running and failing on first and second downs and creating known passing situations, the Colts should be passing more on early downs just as Rosenthal correctly suggested. A good early down passing attack, like the one that scored the first 10 points for the Colts on their first two drives today, but that they went away from, should be used much more regularly.

Why are the Colts paying $25M to a player to turn and hand the ball off in the league's worst running attack? Why is Reich putting his team in a position to lose? It defies all logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          I just don't get why you are so intent on on posting every negative thing you can find on Rivers. Even when he plays well you have something negative to say.

It was time to move on and I agree with that though I still think he would be a better mentor than Tyrod.

He is a Colt. I wish him well and Herbert seems to be doing fine so far so just let it go.
          Go Herbert! Go Chargers!!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I'll say this... We weren't happy with Reich as our OC when Whiz went to be a HC and wanted him gone. We were happy Whiz came back.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              OK, I think we saw the version of Philip Rivers today that I have been talking about. He is fine when the Colts are playing ahead courtesy of their defense. But when he has to play from behind he becomes a turnover machine.
              So when the Colts are doing well and winning, all the credit goes to their defense or running game, but none to Rivers for his good contributions. And when that same defense is failing them, Rivers gets all the blame. Yeah, I think I see what's going on. Many are biased against Rivers. Especially for the pitiful 2019 season his ex-team had last year.

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Orlovsky is an absolute moron! The Colts are DEAD LAST in the NFL at running the ball. They are not built to run the ball. That is just flat out ignorance on his part.
              Orlovsky, the same guy who did this crap.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

So when the Colts are doing well and winning, all the credit goes to their defense or running game, but none to Rivers for his good contributions. And when that same defense is failing them, Rivers gets all the blame. Yeah, I think I see what's going on. Many are biased against Rivers. Especially for the pitiful 2019 season his ex-team had last year.

Orlovsky, the same guy who did this crap.

Orlovsky and the good old out of bounds safety...maybe he and Butterfingers Benji can team up to give a football camp on how to run the rock BACKWARDS...

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

He’s not playing well this year so far. Maybe it’s the shortened offseason or maybe he is declining. Maybe both. But he shouldn’t be playing as badly as he is now. Hoping he gets better because it gets tougher after their bye.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    He’s not playing well this year so far. Maybe it’s the shortened offseason or maybe he is declining. Maybe both. But he shouldn’t be playing as badly as he is now. Hoping he gets better because it gets tougher after their bye.
                    In 2017, 2018 he was 60TD 22INT over 32 starts.
                    3 to 1 TD INT ratio. This works.

But the numbers in 2019, 2020 over 21 starts are 27TD 25INT. That's not a good trend in performance. 1 to 1 TD INT ratio. That won't work.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      Originally posted by Critty View Post

In 2017, 2018 he was 60TD 22INT over 32 starts.
                      3 to 1 TD INT ratio. This works.

But the numbers in 2019, 2020 over 21 starts are 27TD 25INT. That's not a good trend in performance. 1 to 1 TD INT ratio. That won't work.

Rivers is done. It's really that simple. His decline was obvious in 2019 and that is why the Chargers moved on. I am surprised the Colts gave him $25m to play another year. Reich must not have watched much of his game tape from 2019. Sadly, Rivers has become that guy who is in denial about his decline after a great career. It's easy for me to say he should have retired after last season, but, hey, if a team is willing to pay you $25 million to play another season, I'm all for Rivers taking it. He has a big family to support. This is Rivers' last season in the NFL. I think he looks at Brady and Brees and believes he can play until 40+ too. But that is where he's delusional, and he showed it in Cleveland yesterday. When he has to lead a team from behind in the 2nd half, he can't do it anymore. He becomes a turnover machine. The Jax and Browns games showcase that - he has noticeably declined this year over last year even. I do appreciate what Rivers did for the Chargers. He is one of the greatest players in franchise history. Though I do think he lacks the emotional maturity on a higher level to be truly great and that is one reason he never got the Chargers over the hump and into a Super Bowl. There are a lot of Chargers fans, including many TPB members, who continue to argue that moving on from Rivers was a mistake and that he was unfairly scapegoated for last season's failures. Rivers' fan club was predicting big things for the Colts, now that Rivers had a good OL and a solid defense. Well, now we see that Rivers was not unfairly scapegoated for last season. The Chargers did the right thing showing him the door and using their top 10 pick on a new QB of the future.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        Rivers is done. It's really that simple. His decline was obvious in 2019 and that is why the Chargers moved on. I am surprised the Colts gave him $25m to play another year. Reich must not have watched much of his game tape from 2019. Sadly, Rivers has become that guy who is in denial about his decline after a great career. It's easy for me to say he should have retired after last season, but, hey, if a team is willing to pay you $25 million to play another season, I'm all for Rivers taking it. He has a big family to support. This is Rivers' last season in the NFL. I think he looks at Brady and Brees and believes he can play until 40+ too. But that is where he's delusional, and he showed it in Cleveland yesterday. When he has to lead a team from behind in the 2nd half, he can't do it anymore. He becomes a turnover machine. The Jax and Browns games showcase that - he has noticeably declined this year over last year even. I do appreciate what Rivers did for the Chargers. He is one of the greatest players in franchise history. Though I do think he lacks the emotional maturity on a higher level to be truly great and that is one reason he never got the Chargers over the hump and into a Super Bowl. There are a lot of Chargers fans, including many TPB members, who continue to argue that moving on from Rivers was a mistake and that he was unfairly scapegoated for last season's failures. Rivers' fan club was predicting big things for the Colts, now that Rivers had a good OL and a solid defense. Well, now we see that Rivers was not unfairly scapegoated for last season. The Chargers did the right thing showing him the door and using their top 10 pick on a new QB of the future.
                        Beautiful 1st drive leading to rushing TD off 4th down. Later got hit from behind and fumbled.....good play by Browns defense. Later the INT showed Rivers' arm is lacking zip and slow judgement. Intentional grounding leading to safety was again poor judgment. 2nd INT into traffic wtf?

Both defenses are playing lights out. Rivers and Mayfield were getting sacked and Intercepted. Mayfield did more against said pressure than Rivers.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Colts could easily be 5-2 with their next 2 against Cincy and Detroit.

Comment

Working...
                          X