• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I haven't review today's Colts game, but from what I understand the Colts' defense was on fire again. I don't know what Rivers' stat line was today, but I think the defense is carrying Indy, and that has been my point. Rivers is great as long as he doesn't have to carry the team, like a Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Mahomes.
    Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes don’t have to play 1 against 22.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Honestly, some of you are too emotionally attached to Rivers to evaluate his play objectively. If you read Greg Rosenthall's analysis of Rivers this year, which I posted above, he says in a few grafs exactly what I have been saying in post after post. Rivers isn't doing much, he is winning because the Colts have a really good team around him. Herbert, in his first three NFL games, has more TD passes and a higher passer rating than Rivers, making plays to receivers with no NFL experience "protected" by perhaps the worst OL in the league.

100% you'll never win this arguement, Rivers isn't the player he was of years past, and the last two seasons with the Chargers and some of the INTs can be contributed to the bad O-line took a toll on him physically and mentally but some of his INT's when he had time you would be WTF.,Rivers current situation Indy is 3-1 and haven't really played anyone and lost to Jacksonville.

Speculation
      If Rivers was still here we would more than likely still be 1-3,
      Facts
      Herbert is making plays that Rivers or Taylor can't make
      Herbert is playing behind a line that is equally bad if not worse than the line Rivers played with last year, and it can easily be said Herbert is still performing better than expected
      Herbert is getting the long ball out with recievers not waiting for the ball and catching it in stride
      Rivers was good for for us in years past minus the last 2 years, the future is Herbert

Conclusion
      Why are we talking about Rivers, no ill will to Rivers he gave us some good years, like Seau, LT, and Gates but it is time to let it go. I took it hard when LT left, and he started out good for the Jets and faded later that season and he played one more season with the Jets

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Im rooting for Phil to win the Super Bowl. And I love the potential bright future we have at qb here. Although I doubt the Bolts will ever win a SB with the current owners. There’s just no commitment to winning here.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• PR#1
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Rivers isn't doing much ? This from a senior poster at colts board.

Through 3 games:

-Rivers has his 3rd best PFF rating of the last 10 years

-#1 in completion %

-#1 in accuracy rating and catchable pass rate

-#5 in yards per attempt

-#3 in pressured completion rate

He's also throwing guys open, and we're #3 in receiver YAC per target.

As far as velocity, he's looked fine. Has he lost some, maybe, but he's shown plenty of zip at times. And you don't have to throw lasers when you are accurate.

Not saying Rivers is the second coming, but aside from his 2 INTs in game 1, he's looked great. Those passes to MAC on intermediate to deep sail routes were pretty as can be.

Comment

Philip Rivers is 14th in passing yards. He has 4 TD passes and 3 INTs in four games. His 97.3 passer rating is 18th among starting QBs. Justin Herbert's passer rating is 102.2. Herbert has more TD passes, 5. They both have 3 INTs and their total yardage is about the same 984-931. But Hebert has played one less game.

Again, I am happy for Rivers that he is playing for a team that has the best defense in the NFL, has a good OL that can protect him and a 100+-yard-per-game run game. The Colts have led in all three of their wins from the 2nd quarter on. Rivers has not had to lead a comeback in any of them. The only game the Colts trailed in, Rivers threw 2 INTs to 1 TD, with the 2nd INT coming in the 4th quarter when Rivers was playing catch up. The Colts' defense leads the league in fewest total yards allowed, fewest passing yards allowed and fewest points allowed, and are 4th in rushing yards allowed. It has 7 takeaways, and factoring in Rivers' 3 INTs, their TO differential is +4. They have 2 defensive scores in the last three games. That is why the Colts are winning. I am glad for Phil. But if the Colts have rely on Phil to win the game, to play from behind, to lead late-game comebacks, it's not going to be the same story. I think Reich is very aware of this.
            The Colts have won all of their games since week 1. In week 1, their pass defense was awful and why they lost. They allowed a 95% completion percentage and 3 TDs--to Minshew of all QBs. Rivers did throw 2 INTs, but his team did not punt during the entire game. In other words, Rivers moved the team up and down the field throughout the game.

You keep trying to blame Rivers for their loss and/or suggest that he could not get the job done in the clutch. The reality is that he was getting the job done in the clutch and had played so well that he was overcoming the bad game by his defense, the failed 4th and goal call by Reich and company, et cetera. Unfortunately, since his passes move fatser than he does, he cannot usually be on the receiving end of his own passes. Rivers had driven the team down the field and had the team just outside of the red zone on the final game tying drive, but Hilton's final dropped pass on 4th down was one drop too many to be overcome.

Also, it is ridiculous to suggest that the Colts would not have won their other games anyway but for the defense. They won their other games 28-11, 36-7 and 19-11 with the final 8 against Chicago coming in garbage time against a prevent defense.

Against the Jets, Rivers was 17-21 for 217 yards and a TD. He had no issues moving the ball through the air, but the Colts chose to run 30+ times. Rivers produced three scoring drives in excess of 50 yards.

Against the Vikings, Rivers was 19-25 for 214 yards with a TD. He had no issues moving the ball through the air, but the Colts chose to run the ball 40 times.

Against the Bears, the Colts chose to run the ball 38 times, but when Rivers threw the ball, the Colts were able to drive for points, moving the ball into the red zone for 4 times for a TD and 3 FGs. The passing game was the only part of their offense that was working to any meaningful degree.

What the games have shown is that the Colts offense would be more effective if Rivers threw the ball more because their running game is ineffective.

Rivers has not had to lead comebacks in recent weeks because he has had his team in the lead early on in the games, but he has already shown in week 1 that he can do his part to get the team over the top. The issue is whether or not he recieves any help from his teammates. In other words, your take is just wrong.

Comment

Greg Rosenthal and I see the same thing.

After watching Bears-Colts on Sunday, I didn't believe Rivers particularly outplayed an erratic Nick Foles. Rivers just has the better team around him, although Colts coach Frank Reich could potentially help Rivers by not being so run-heavy on early downs. Rivers' misses have often been cautious, not unlike those of Drew Brees. The Colts are 3-1 without Rivers doing much, which would have been hard to imagine back in August.

https://www.nfl.com/news/debrief-big...through-week-4
              I agree that Foles in 42 passes and Rivers in 29 passes had about the same level of production. However, what you completely miss is the Captain Obvious part of Rosenthal's comment that Reich could potentially help Rivers by not being so run-heavy on early downs. This is exactly what I have been telling you. The Colts cannot run the ball worth crap. They are literally dead last in YPC through 4 games. And what makes that stat particularly compelling is that they have the 4th most rushing attempts, so crap has become the dominant aspect of their offense by coaching decision, not by virtue of Rivers' play.

So, what happens when a team repeatedly runs for very little on early downs? They put their QB in known passing situations. Do you think defenses play better when they know what is coming? Of course they do. Otherwise, there would be no secretive play calling in huddles.

So the better question is what would have happened if the Colts had allowed Rivers to throw early and often, duplicating Foles' 42 passes. To me, the answer is obvious. Rivers would have thoroughly outplayed Foles and the game would have been a 25+ point blowout win for the Colts.

As I have stated, Reich has been the best defense against Rivers this season. Their play calling has been absolutely horrible. Combine that with the injuries to key players on the offense and you might just begin to see how truly great Rivers has been.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

100% you'll never win this arguement, Rivers isn't the player he was of years past, and the last two seasons with the Chargers and some of the INTs can be contributed to the bad O-line took a toll on him physically and mentally but some of his INT's when he had time you would be WTF.,Rivers current situation Indy is 3-1 and haven't really played anyone and lost to Jacksonville.

Speculation
                Facts
                Herbert is playing behind a line that is equally bad if not worse than the line Rivers played with last year, and it can easily be said Herbert is still performing better than expected
                Herbert is getting the long ball out with recievers not waiting for the ball and catching it in stride
                Rivers was good for for us in years past minus the last 2 years, the future is Herbert

Conclusion
                Why are we talking about Rivers, no ill will to Rivers he gave us some good years, like Seau, LT, and Gates but it is time to let it go. I took it hard when LT left, and he started out good for the Jets and faded later that season and he played one more season with the Jets
                I am pretty sure that the Bears were 3-0 entering their game with the Colts. Beating an undefeated team on the road does not count as playing anyone?

I think it is debatable as to which QB would have been better for us this year. I agree that Herbert has made some plays that Rivers would not have made, but Rivers sees the game better than Herbert and would have made plays that Herbert would not have made.

In Indianopilis, I think there is no doubt that Rivers would play better than Herbert because the OL is not an issue, so Herbert's mobility advantage would be less meaningful.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

I believe they also showed a stat during the Colt-Bear game that showed Indy's D was number 1 in just about every category, which obviously helps your O.
                  Also the Colts best offensive player is Quentin Nelson, end of. No need for PR to play hero ball when he's behind that stud.

Comment

• PR#1
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
                    Rivers isn't doing much ? This from a senior poster at colts board.

Through 3 games:

-Rivers has his 3rd best PFF rating of the last 10 years

-#1 in completion %

-#1 in accuracy rating and catchable pass rate

-#5 in yards per attempt

-#3 in pressured completion rate

He's also throwing guys open, and we're #3 in receiver YAC per target.

As far as velocity, he's looked fine. Has he lost some, maybe, but he's shown plenty of zip at times. And you don't have to throw lasers when you are accurate.

Not saying Rivers is the second coming, but aside from his 2 INTs in game 1, he's looked great. Those passes to MAC on intermediate to deep sail routes were pretty as can be.
                    I invite Chargers fans to watch the Colts games not just look at the stats.

There is something special going on with that team.

True, Colts defense looks good now, but in the first game the entire team was a wreck.

Reich took the team and corrected so much.

Its been a fun team to watch after watching the Chargers lose in every possible new way on a given Sunday. I used to be depressed watching the Chargers lose, now I get happy watching the Colts win. What a fun team to watch !

Also "MAC" above is Moe Alie Cox, a big 3rd string TE who played basket ball in college. Sound familiar ?

Rivers has been developing a synergy with him and I swear he looks like a young Antonio Gates. He's leaping over defenders, boxing out and getting open. He's even supplanted Doyle who was their starting TE. Before Rivers came along he was primarily a blocking TE that fans didn't even know could catch !

RIvers has been throwing darts out there, to MAC and to the other receivers.

He's been making big first down completions, keeping drives moving. He's doing his job.

The defense has been incredible the way they swarm to the ball. They are not big but they are fast and SWARM to the ball. Its all out effort on the defense and Reich has them playing hard.

The Oline has been good as well. They invested alot in the OLine, its obvious to protect Luck, but now Rivers is the beneficiary.

Running game is good, but it all hinges on Mr Rivers.

He's been awesome out there. I'm really happy for him.

So please don't tell me Rivers hasn't been doing anything out there. He has transformed the team into a winner !!!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I agree that Foles in 42 passes and Rivers in 29 passes had about the same level of production. However, what you completely miss is the Captain Obvious part of Rosenthal's comment that Reich could potentially help Rivers by not being so run-heavy on early downs. This is exactly what I have been telling you. The Colts cannot run the ball worth crap. They are literally dead last in YPC through 4 games. And what makes that stat particularly compelling is that they have the 4th most rushing attempts, so crap has become the dominant aspect of their offense by coaching decision, not by virtue of Rivers' play.

So, what happens when a team repeatedly runs for very little on early downs? They put their QB in known passing situations. Do you think defenses play better when they know what is coming? Of course they do. Otherwise, there would be no secretive play calling in huddles.

So the better question is what would have happened if the Colts had allowed Rivers to throw early and often, duplicating Foles' 42 passes. To me, the answer is obvious. Rivers would have thoroughly outplayed Foles and the game would have been a 25+ point blowout win for the Colts.

As I have stated, Reich has been the best defense against Rivers this season. Their play calling has been absolutely horrible. Combine that with the injuries to key players on the offense and you might just begin to see how truly great Rivers has been.
                      More running plays keep older quarterbacks frisky in January.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Speculation
                        Facts

Conclusion
                        i basically agree with this. Bottom line is that they are getting production from the quarterback position and still losing.
                        Rivers had many years here were he was carrying the team and had to be perfect to win..

Comment

• Biggestfan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

i basically agree with this. Bottom line is that they are getting production from the quarterback position and still losing.
                          Rivers had many years here were he was carrying the team and had to be perfect to win..
                          Rivers rarely had a good oline, reliable run game (sans Tomlinson) and a shut down defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X