• Show
Clear All
  • ChargingBolts
    Superbowl?
    • Sep 2018
    • Los Angeles/Chicago
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think we would be 3-1 with Rivers with the loss being to TB because of the poor play of the defense. I think we would have beaten KC because our defense played great for most of that game and Rivers would have put up more points than Herbert did, which would have been the difference. I think Rivers would have put up more points against Carolina too.

That said, I think Herbert has a higher ceiling than Rivers because he is a superior athlete and I am glad that we have a QB with such great potential on our team. 15 more years of Herbert would be more than enough to offset the one learning curve lesser season by Herbert than what Rivers could do now.

Having Rivers now only would have mattered if we would have been a serious playoff contender and with our injuries, that may be a questionable view to have.
    I feel Rivers would of handed the ball cleanly to Kelly and the Charger win in T.B.

Oh well, Rivers is 3-1 and in the one loss the D let Minshew be like 20 of 21 passing.

It's fun having 2 teams to root for this year and when the Chargers end up Chargering I'm not as upset because I get to see Rivers play.

Comment

• CivilBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

I’m not sure about this ^^^... I still vividly remember that KC game when Rivers lost a snap under center

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post
        I’m not sure about this ^^^... I still vividly remember that KC game when Rivers lost a snap under center
        Which is the curse of this franchise. I think that is the only one that he lost a snap.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

OK, I think we saw the version of Philip Rivers today that I have been talking about. He is fine when the Colts are playing ahead courtesy of their defense. But when he has to play from behind he becomes a turnover machine. Adam Archuleta and Spero Dedes assessed Rivers' season so far exactly like I have been saying. Reich is going heavy with the run, trying not to have to depend on Rivers too much. Rivers stats today, 243 yards, 2 INTs (one a pick-six) no TDs, and an intentional grounding in the end zone for a safety. The Colts possession after Rivers threw the pick six, Reich ran the ball on eight consecutive plays. At this point in his career, Rivers is good in a Trent Dilfer type role, managing the offense, relying on the run not on his arm, with a defense that can carry the team. That works well against the mediocre and weaker teams the Colts have played thus far into the season, but against a better team like they faced today when the offense has to keep scoring, Rivers is not capable anymore of playing at that level. I do still love Rivers, but I think we see why now the Chargers decided to move on from him after last season. I think we are watching Rivers' last season in the NFL.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

No they didn't assess it as you have been saying lol. They never mentioned Solder as you do which is ridiculous. Dilfer wishes he was near as good as Rivers. But he or his team wasnt good today.

Look, he is 38 and he can still play but he was harrassed all day long. Yep he threw 2 INTs that were his fault. They ran i believe 6 straight times after the pic 6. You know, trying to slow a pass rush extravaganza.
            I don't get the obsession here.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              No they didn't assess it as you have been saying lol. They never mentioned Solder as you do which is ridiculous. Dilfer wishes he was near as good as Rivers. But he or his team wasnt good today.

Look, he is 38 and he can still play but he was harrassed all day long. Yep he threw 2 INTs that were his fault. They ran i believe 6 straight times after the pic 6. You know, trying to slow a pass rush extravaganza.
              I don't get the obsession here.
              Archuleta and Dedes, the announcers for the game, said exactly what I wrote earlier about Rivers and the Colts. Rivers is having a down year, Reich has turned to the run game more, and the defense has carried the Colts. Solder? What is that? I said that Rivers, at this point in his career, is more like Trent Dilfer, a QB that can win with a good defense and a run game to carry the offense. That is exactly what Rivers is now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post
                OK, I think we saw the version of Philip Rivers today that I have been talking about. He is fine when the Colts are playing ahead courtesy of their defense. But when he has to play from behind he becomes a turnover machine. Adam Archuleta and Spero Dedes assessed Rivers' season so far exactly like I have been saying. Reich is going heavy with the run, trying not to have to depend on Rivers too much. Rivers stats today, 243 yards, 2 INTs (one a pick-six) no TDs, and an intentional grounding in the end zone for a safety. The Colts possession after Rivers threw the pick six, Reich ran the ball on eight consecutive plays. At this point in his career, Rivers is good in a Trent Dilfer type role, managing the offense, relying on the run not on his arm, with a defense that can carry the team. That works well against the mediocre and weaker teams the Colts have played thus far into the season, but against a better team like they faced today when the offense has to keep scoring, Rivers is not capable anymore of playing at that level. I do still love Rivers, but I think we see why now the Chargers decided to move on from him after last season. I think we are watching Rivers' last season in the NFL.
                Reich is absolutely killing the offense by going run heavy, especially on early downs. When Reich allowed Rivers to take shots down the field and pass the ball more often, Rivers led the team to 10 points on the first two drives of the game. Then Reich got in the way of the offense's success as he has done most of the season by opening the next drive, a three and out, with run, run. That, more than anything else, has been killing the Colts on offense this season on drive after drive.

The 8 straight running plays was sheer stupidity on Reich's part. Trailing by 10 in the second half and having a defense that had been struggling to stop the Browns, Reich decided that it would be a good idea to burn 5:15 off of the clock to move the ball just 29 yards and kick a FG. Of course, they were just about one first down from being in FG position when they started the drive.

The Trent Dilfer comparison is ridiculous. Rivers has been able to move the team very well when Reich has not screwed up the offense by going too run heavy, especially on early downs.

Also, the Colts need to get their LT back as the Browns had hurries on 15 of Rivers' first 18 drop backs.

It has been sad to see Reich blowing it for Rivers this season, but it reminds me of why we did not keep Reich as our OC. The guy cannot seem to fugure out that if you have the worst YPC in the entire league, then maybe, just maybe, going run heavy on drives is not the way to go. And so it was today--yet another sub-4.0 YPC day (3.8), though only 18 attempts because the Browns were allowed by the defense to possess the ball for 34:45.

Maybe Reich will figure out that first down is the best down on which to pass the ball and that when your team cannot run the ball effectively, it should use the pass to set up the run, mixing in the run gently, essentially reversing the emphasis that has taken place thus far this season.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Reich is absolutely killing the offense by going run heavy, especially on early downs. When Reich allowed Rivers to take shots down the field and pass the ball more often, Rivers led the team to 10 points on the first two drives of the game. Then Reich got in the way of the offense's success as he has done most of the season by opening the next drive, a three and out, with run, run. That, more than anything else, has been killing the Colts on offense this season on drive after drive.

The 8 straight running plays was sheer stupidity on Reich's part. Trailing by 10 in the second half and having a defense that had been struggling to stop the Browns, Reich decided that it would be a good idea to burn 5:15 off of the clock to move the ball just 29 yards and kick a FG. Of course, they were just about one first down from being in FG position when they started the drive.

The Trent Dilfer comparison is ridiculous. Rivers has been able to move the team very well when Reich has not screwed up the offense by going too run heavy, especially on early downs.

Also, the Colts need to get their LT back as the Browns had hurries on 15 of Rivers' first 18 drop backs.

It has been sad to see Reich blowing it for Rivers this season, but it reminds me of why we did not keep Reich as our OC. The guy cannot seem to fugure out that if you have the worst YPC in the entire league, then maybe, just maybe, going run heavy on drives is not the way to go. And so it was today--yet another sub-4.0 YPC day (3.8), though only 18 attempts because the Browns were allowed by the defense to possess the ball for 34:45.

Maybe Reich will figure out that first down is the best down on which to pass the ball and that when your team cannot run the ball effectively, it should use the pass to set up the run, mixing in the run gently, essentially reversing the emphasis that has taken place thus far this season.
                  Now it's Reich's fault? Can't blame Rivers' WRs for his mistakes today, so now you blame the coach? lol Your love and devotion for Phil Rivers is admirable. The reality, however, is that Rivers is done. The Colts have had to come back in the 2nd half twice this season, and in those two games Rivers has thrown 4 INTs and turned it over on a safety and lost both games. The Colts I am sure are having buyer's remorse. One more game like today's and I'll bet they go back to Brissett. Rivers should have retired after last season. I'm just glad the Chargers recognized Rivers is done and decided to draft a QB this year.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Indianapolis Star: Philip Rivers melts down late; Colts defense struggles early in 32-23 loss vs. Browns

Facing their biggest test of the season, the Colts failed on almost every front. Quarterback Philip Rivers completely melted down in the second half, throwing two interceptions while also getting flagged for intentional grounding in the end zone (a safety).

Are Indy fans still loving Rivers?

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019