X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I just watched the review of that game. Rivers was 16 of 29 with one TD. A 55 percent completion percentage. The Colts' offense scored 19 points and had to settle for 4 field goals. They had over 100 yards rushing. Rivers is hardly crushing it. In fact, the Colts' offense looked sluggish today. Rivers is managing the offense. It is the Colts' defense that is carrying the team, winning games. They suffocated Nick Foles and the Bears, allowing them only 3 points until surrendering a garbage time TD with under 2 mins left. The Colts' D got another INT today, that's 7 in the past three games. I am happy for Rivers that he is on a team with the league's best defense, an OL that can protect him and a solid running game. But he is not carrying the Colts. He is doing his part and he is doing it well. Reich is smart to emphasize the run game because that is how you get the best out of Phil Rivers. Rivers' completion percentage is so high because he's not playing long ball, most of his throws are high percentage passes. His ypc is way down from his career average. If the Colts can continue to play great defense and run the ball well, they are going to have a great season with Rivers. But they do have some games against better teams coming up.
    You keep missing the point about how the Colt offense works and does not work. The Colts, in point of fact, are not a good running team. They were 24th heading into today in YPC, sitting at 3.8 and that number went down today. Please do not confuse running the ball a lot with running the ball effectively.

The reason why the Colts were less effective on offense today is because Reich/Siriani insisted on running the ball when the running game was not working at all. They ran the ball for over 100 yards because they chose to run the ball 38 times for a lousy 2.7 YPC. Because the Colts insisted on wasting downs by running the ball so much, Rivers had fewer opportunities to continue drives by passing when the running game crashed. Heading into today, thanks to Rivers, the Colts were the only team in the league that did not have a single three and out all season long.

As I have stated previously, Reich's insistence on running the ball takes passing opportunities away from Rivers and puts Rivers in more known passing situations. Essentially, Reich has been the best defense to Rivers at various times this season.

But even with the poor play calling, Rivers led the team into the red zone 4 times and came away with a TD and 3 FGs. The other FG came when Rivers led the team to the 26. They scored the TD on the first drive of the game and never trailed. They were up 13-3 at the half and the Bears only scored a TD in garbage time as you noted.

Rivers has been the best player on his team's offense and has been so despite missing several important players. And, with the #2 time of possession offense, the offense has helped keep the defense fresh and effective.

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

^^^^

Wait until the Rivers factor kicks in. Then we'll see.

:ml:

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

You keep missing the point about how the Colt offense works and does not work. The Colts, in point of fact, are not a good running team. They were 24th heading into today in YPC, sitting at 3.8 and that number went down today. Please do not confuse running the ball a lot with running the ball effectively.

The reason why the Colts were less effective on offense today is because Reich/Siriani insisted on running the ball when the running game was not working at all. They ran the ball for over 100 yards because they chose to run the ball 38 times for a lousy 2.7 YPC. Because the Colts insisted on wasting downs by running the ball so much, Rivers had fewer opportunities to continue drives by passing when the running game crashed. Heading into today, thanks to Rivers, the Colts were the only team in the league that did not have a single three and out all season long.

As I have stated previously, Reich's insistence on running the ball takes passing opportunities away from Rivers and puts Rivers in more known passing situations. Essentially, Reich has been the best defense to Rivers at various times this season.

But even with the poor play calling, Rivers led the team into the red zone 4 times and came away with a TD and 3 FGs. The other FG came when Rivers led the team to the 26. They scored the TD on the first drive of the game and never trailed. They were up 13-3 at the half and the Bears only scored a TD in garbage time as you noted.

Rivers has been the best player on his team's offense and has been so despite missing several important players. And, with the #2 time of possession offense, the offense has helped keep the defense fresh and effective.
        And I’m sure Reich would point out the obvious on who the opposition was. They could afford to go ultra conservative on offense because the Bears were simply not going to do much on O against the Colts D. He played it “safe” and it worked. Also, the Bears D isn’t exactly the 4th quarter Charger D - they can be tough.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Indianapolis Colts quarterback lets Chicago Bears linebacker know he got burned on fourth-quarter run. The Colts beat the Bears.

Comment

Luckily I have a setup that allows me to watch any game. I have been watching Rivers/Colts since the season started. The colts offense is nice and balanced. Other that a bad interception a few weeks ago he is making good and safe passes. Overall the Colts have a solid team. And Reich has Rivers playing under control. He looks the same as always in terms of passing. No regression at all.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post
              And Reich has Rivers playing under control.
              Imagine that - a good coach that can actually work with his players and get them to respond.

I’d love to have Reich as our coach.

Comment

• Biggestfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

And I’m sure Reich would point out the obvious on who the opposition was. They could afford to go ultra conservative on offense because the Bears were simply not going to do much on O against the Colts D. He played it “safe” and it worked. Also, the Bears D isn’t exactly the 4th quarter Charger D - they can be tough.
                I'd take the Bears d in a heartbeat

Comment

• bartman83642
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

We were loaded that year that McCree gift wrapped that win to Brady. We would have beat the Colts and would have Thumped the Bears in the superbowl.
                  I wonder if TB sends him annual thank you notes for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Bears were undefeated playing at home. They have a top D. Rivers played game manager today.....middling stats, no interceptions.

Rivers lovers will see Topcat continuously raise the bar this season for what to expect of PR.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, losing winnable games is what the Chargers do. Another qb intercepted at the end driving this rudderless team without an Oline.
                    On a positive note, the QB is a rookie that has lots of potential. If we keep losing, we are going to be in good draft position and we will be developing/showcasing (showcasing in case we get the unlikely golden ticket in next year's draft) Herbert at the same time.

As for Rivers, it was obvious that our team's problems were due to the OL last year and that Rivers was not done. He is leading an injury riddled Colts offense with limited weapons. The equivalent for us would be no Ekeler, no M. Williams, no Guyton (only their #3 WR is better), Allen suddenly not being as effective as he had been in previous years, no TE on the roster anywhere near as good as Henry, and Norv Turneresque level stupid play calling. And yet Rivers has led such an offense to being #2 overall in time of possession and is in the top 5 in completion percentage even after playing against Chicago's tough defense on the road. I would say he is doing pretty well.

As for our OL, I am not sure I like a single player on the entire unit. What we have is the result of the OL being made a lower priority combined with free agency signings that have not worked out so far, missed OL draft picks, and the loss of ability to draft due to Telesco trading away numerous draft picks, but never trading back to generate draft picks. The OL is so bad that I question whether it can be fixed with just one offseason even if we used all 7 draft picks for OL players, which we are not likely to do.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Wait till the second half of the season and the playoffs are laying in the balance, at this stage of his career he is Dr. Jeckel\Mr. Hyde let the buyer beware

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Philip Rivers is 14th in passing yards. He has 4 TD passes and 3 INTs in four games. His 97.3 passer rating is 18th among starting QBs. Justin Herbert's passer rating is 102.2. Herbert has more TD passes, 5. They both have 3 INTs and their total yardage is about the same 984-931. But Hebert has played one less game.

Again, I am happy for Rivers that he is playing for a team that has the best defense in the NFL, has a good OL that can protect him and a 100+-yard-per-game run game. The Colts have led in all three of their wins from the 2nd quarter on. Rivers has not had to lead a comeback in any of them. The only game the Colts trailed in, Rivers threw 2 INTs to 1 TD, with the 2nd INT coming in the 4th quarter when Rivers was playing catch up. The Colts' defense leads the league in fewest total yards allowed, fewest passing yards allowed and fewest points allowed, and are 4th in rushing yards allowed. It has 7 takeaways, and factoring in Rivers' 3 INTs, their TO differential is +4. They have 2 defensive scores in the last three games. That is why the Colts are winning. I am glad for Phil. But if the Colts have rely on Phil to win the game, to play from behind, to lead late-game comebacks, it's not going to be the same story. I think Reich is very aware of this.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Rivers was literally blamed by some of you guys for most of our losses last year, yet now that he is 3-1 with the Colts, the spin to discount what he is doing this year is just funny. Bottom line - playing with a winning organization and a good coach and he has a winning record. Playing for a loser like Lynn and the Chargers and he struggled.

But we have moved on and I am ecstatic about what we are seeing from Herbert. I just hope Lynn doesn't rub off too much on him before he is fired.

Comment

Working...
                          X