• Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Basically the opposite of us at 1-3

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

I visited some Colts forums. I didn't see anyone gushing over Rivers. Some forums discussions are more subdued than others. The Colts forums are such.

Comment

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I reviewed video of the Colts' last two games v the Vikes and Jets. Reich has it working for Rivers to be his best - a ball control offense aided by a turnover happy defense. Rivers is not gun-slinging it for the Colts. Rivers only threw for about 215 yards in both games and had 2 TD passes and 1 INT. What's working for the Colts is their defense, their run game and their OL. Their defense was spectacular in the past two games with 3 INTs in each contest. It had two picks six against the Jets. (Rhodes is having a great early season.). Their run game is just good enough. And their OL is doing a great job of giving Rivers a lot of time. In both games the Colts were playing from ahead, way ahead, almost the entire game. Their defense put them in that position. Against the Jags, Rivers had to come from behind late in the 4th and he threw a game ending INT. If the Colts keep playing like they did v. the Vikes and Jets, they will do well. But the Vikes and Jets are both winless. Let's see where the Colts are with Rivers in week 10.
        Going into today, Rivers was leading the NFL in completion percentage. Reich is actually hindering Rivers with his run heavy approach. Rivers' stats are adversely skewed by the Alie-Cox dropped pass INT and the T.Y. Hilton dropped TD pass (to go along with several other drops). Reich also pulled Rivers early with a big lead against the Jets. Ever since week one the Colts have been in total control of every game they have played.

And Rivers has been doing that despite being without Pittman, Campbell and Mack.

The Colts just beat an undefeated Bears team with a good defense today.

If the defense for the Colts continues to play the way that it has so far this season, the Colts are a Super Bowl contender.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
          Sounds like Reich has Rivers managing the game as opposed to trying to win it( which he has difficulty with)
          Shame he couldn't get McCoy to buy into that philosophy.
          Until today, the Colts had pretty much been moving the ball at will in their games. Rivers has not been playing as a game manager. He has been the offensive spark that the Colts needed and has been far from a game manager. All he ever needed was a good OL.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Going into today, Rivers was leading the NFL in completion percentage. Reich is actually hindering Rivers with his run heavy approach. Rivers' stats are adversely skewed by the Alie-Cox dropped pass INT and the T.Y. Hilton dropped TD pass (to go along with several other drops). Reich also pulled Rivers early with a big lead against the Jets. Ever since week one the Colts have been in total control of every game they have played.

And Rivers has been doing that despite being without Pittman, Campbell and Mack.

The Colts just beat an undefeated Bears team with a good defense today.

If the defense for the Colts continues to play the way that it has so far this season, the Colts are a Super Bowl contender.
            I haven't review today's Colts game, but from what I understand the Colts' defense was on fire again. I don't know what Rivers' stat line was today, but I think the defense is carrying Indy, and that has been my point. Rivers is great as long as he doesn't have to carry the team, like a Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Mahomes.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I love Rivers too. But I'd rather have Herbert at 22 than Rivers at 39. At the end of the season I won't be too surprised if the honeymoon is over Indy and Colts fans look at our young gunslinger with envy.
              Honeymoon--yep...good way to put it. Look, Rivers can look GREAT some games, but just wait until the Colts are up against the very good and elite teams. In a close game, in crunch time, even with the solid line the Colts have, I can just about GUARANTEE Rivers panics, plays hero ball, and starts slinging the rock into coverage for picks...and losing winnable games...

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                • Feb 2019
                • Midwest
                • Local 150 operating engineer.
                • Send PM

I haven't review today's Colts game, but from what I understand the Colts' defense was on fire again. I don't know what Rivers' stat line was today, but I think the defense is carrying Indy, and that has been my point. Rivers is great as long as he doesn't have to carry the team, like a Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Mahomes.
                Actually the Colts have offensively moved the ball at will the first 3 games. Drops, a couple of bad throws, and some penalties have kept them from being 4-0.

today was the first 3 and out the Colts have had. I watch the bears every week. They are a good team with a good D. But indy d was lights out today.I think Reich called the game the way they did knowing their D was on. Just grind em. Then put them away in the 4th.

Comment

Rivers has 3 TD passes and 3 INTs for the season. He is averaging 11 yards per completion - that ties for his 2nd lowest yards per completion during his Chargers career. His completion percentage is off the charts 78.3 percent. That's because they have him throwing mostly high-percentage short passes. He's averaging 30 attempts per game. The Colts have the best defense in the league through three games. They lead in yards allowed by a wide margin over No. 2 Pitt. They're only allowing 132 yards per game passing. They've taken the ball away 6 times in the past two games and given Rivers short fields. I don't know where to find this stat, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts have the best average drive starting position in the league through three games. The Colts' defense is why Indy is winning. Rivers is doing his part, but he's not leading the team to wins. He is on pace for 16 TDs and 16 INTs. The Colts' defense has faced two bottom 5 offenses the past two games.

It's not going to continue to be this easy for the Colts. They aren't going to play bad offenses every game this season. If they start having to rely on their offense to win, let's see what that looks like.
                  I can tell that you have not been watching their games at all. Rivers has been the offense's best player. The change from Brissett to Rivers is why the Colts are 3-1 and why the offense has gone from being a bad offense to a good offense.

With Rivers, the Colts are #2 to Green Bay in total time of possession and time of possession per drive. That is something that is helping the defense. Going into today, Rivers was leading the NFL in completion percentage at 78.3%. That will go a long way toward keeping drives alive.

The Colts do lead the league in average starting position (35.34 yard line), but the yardage span for the entire league is only about 13 yards. Also, the Colts have moved the ball very well on average on their drives, so that combined with a good defense has helped them to flip the field.

Reich/Siriani have actually been killing Rivers with their emphasis on the running game. They do not run the ball well at all (3.8 YPC, 24th in the NFL going into today and only 2.7 YPC today) and yet Reich had them tied for 7th in carries per game heading into today. This has taken passing opportunities away from Rivers and has actually hurt their offense. The best part of their offense has been Rivers.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Honeymoon--yep...good way to put it. Look, Rivers can look GREAT some games, but just wait until the Colts are up against the very good and elite teams. In a close game, in crunch time, even with the solid line the Colts have, I can just about GUARANTEE Rivers panics, plays hero ball, and starts slinging the rock into coverage for picks...and losing winnable games...
                    Bears were undefeated playing at home. They have a top D. Rivers played game manager today.....middling stats, no interceptions.

Rivers lovers will see Topcat continuously raise the bar this season for what to expect of PR.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, losing winnable games is what the Chargers do. Another qb intercepted at the end driving this rudderless team without an Oline.

Last edited by powderblueboy; 10-04-2020, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I can tell that you have not been watching their games at all. Rivers has been the offense's best player. The change from Brissett to Rivers is why the Colts are 3-1 and why the offense has gone from being a bad offense to a good offense.

With Rivers, the Colts are #2 to Green Bay in total time of possession and time of possession per drive. That is something that is helping the defense. Going into today, Rivers was leading the NFL in completion percentage at 78.3%. That will go a long way toward keeping drives alive.

The Colts do lead the league in average starting position (35.34 yard line), but the yardage span for the entire league is only about 13 yards. Also, the Colts have moved the ball very well on average on their drives, so that combined with a good defense has helped them to flip the field.

Reich/Siriani have actually been killing Rivers with their emphasis on the running game. They do not run the ball well at all (3.8 YPC, 24th in the NFL going into today and only 2.7 YPC today) and yet Reich had them tied for 7th in carries per game heading into today. This has taken passing opportunities away from Rivers and has actually hurt their offense. The best part of their offense has been Rivers.
                      I just watched the review of that game. Rivers was 16 of 29 with one TD. A 55 percent completion percentage. The Colts' offense scored 19 points and had to settle for 4 field goals. They had over 100 yards rushing. Rivers is hardly crushing it. In fact, the Colts' offense looked sluggish today. Rivers is managing the offense. It is the Colts' defense that is carrying the team, winning games. They suffocated Nick Foles and the Bears, allowing them only 3 points until surrendering a garbage time TD with under 2 mins left. The Colts' D got another INT today, that's 7 in the past three games. I am happy for Rivers that he is on a team with the league's best defense, an OL that can protect him and a solid running game. But he is not carrying the Colts. He is doing his part and he is doing it well. Reich is smart to emphasize the run game because that is how you get the best out of Phil Rivers. Rivers' completion percentage is so high because he's not playing long ball, most of his throws are high percentage passes. His ypc is way down from his career average. If the Colts can continue to play great defense and run the ball well, they are going to have a great season with Rivers. But they do have some games against better teams coming up.

Comment

The bolded part is BS and it always was.

Also, Rivers has been better than Brady for two years running now and this year will likely be the third year in a row.

In week one of this year, as numerous people have corrected you, Rivers did lead the Colts down the field in the clutch on the final drive. He was carrying the team. He did not throw an INT. The problem was that his defense played like crap and his receivers dropped multiple passes on their final drive including the 4th down pass that would have kept the drive going.

With injuries to Campbell, Pittman and Mack, and Hilton not playing well, who exactly do you think the Colts have on offense? Their best player, aside from Rivers, in recent games has been Mo Alie-Cox and even he dropped a pass right to Minnesota for an INT.

It has been Rivers carrying the team and carrying them very well.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I just watched the review of that game. Rivers was 16 of 29 with one TD. A 55 percent completion percentage. The Colts' offense scored 19 points and had to settle for 4 field goals. They had over 100 yards rushing. Rivers is hardly crushing it. In fact, the Colts' offense looked sluggish today. Rivers is managing the offense. It is the Colts' defense that is carrying the team, winning games. They suffocated Nick Foles and the Bears, allowing them only 3 points until surrendering a garbage time TD with under 2 mins left. The Colts' D got another INT today, that's 7 in the past three games. I am happy for Rivers that he is on a team with the league's best defense, an OL that can protect him and a solid running game. But he is not carrying the Colts. He is doing his part and he is doing it well. Reich is smart to emphasize the run game because that is how you get the best out of Phil Rivers. Rivers' completion percentage is so high because he's not playing long ball, most of his throws are high percentage passes. His ypc is way down from his career average. If the Colts can continue to play great defense and run the ball well, they are going to have a great season with Rivers. But they do have some games against better teams coming up.
                          Who cares. Not sure why you keep bringing it up.

This franchise is just bad luck cursed. Rivers had some great years but they can't close out games no matter who the HC is.

Rivers didn't need to have a good game today and he won. That's all that matters. He has left and the spell has been lifted.
                          I mean geez, when he plays great and we lose, it's because he fumble din the 2nd quarter or threw an INT or the defense gave the lead away at tje end but it Phil's fault.

Today his team wins and he didn't do anything to help with that. It's not because of him. C'mon man.

Herbert is doing well but we are still losing with a late INT and defensive collapses. Sound familiar?
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-04-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X