Saints 8.5 Point Favorites Over The Chargers (WK 5 Pre-Game Discussion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDBORN
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Historically, the Chargers have never beaten Brees as a saint(kind of beat him us as a charger thoug...lol)...... in fact the games have never been close........ NO usually has fun running up a blowout score on chargers.... lol

It seems like no matter who our DC has been, we usually have a defensive gameplan of conceding all the short passes Brees wants to throw......leaving short passes wide open......trying to make NO take 10-15 plays to score each time, hoping that NO will make a stupid mistake somewhere along the line.....always fails because NO is a talented well-coached team....

But sadly the Chargers usually melts down against NO......

I honestrly think Chargers have enough talent to beat NO this time, if Herbert starts and plays as well or better than he has been and the rest of team plays mistake free football..... is that likely?...no .....but possible?....yes....
    Ironically the last charger qb to beat Brady was Brees. The chargers got rid of him. Now they can't beat the one guy who was able to beat Brady lol.

Hoping Herbert changes that, assuming he plays this Sunday.

Chargers need to change their mentality to an offense first team. The league has changed and is geared towards high powered offenses /high scoring games. It is a lot easier to overcome penalties with a high powered offense than a stellar defense in today's league.

Lynn's mentality of a strong defense and great run game won't work with this team and
    ​this coaching personnel (including himself).

Comment

• heywally
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think there are some valid points and concerns here
      I just don’t know if Herbert grows pocket awareness or develops that proper attitude/urgency, while sitting on a bench
      I see what you’re seeing, but I also see a big guy who knows how to take sacks safely
      I trust Herbert to keep himself safe while learning these nuances, it’s going to take a freak accident or hit to injure him (knock on wood)
      generally I don’t believe in that approach, you play a qb to develop him and give him experience and not wrap him up in bubble wrap. It’s part of the risk involved.

regarding bad experience, I think I know what you mean, but again, this falls on the QB.
      it’s a tall ask for a rookie qb to play behind a bad Oline and essentially being thrown to the wolves, but it’s okay to ask a lot of your franchise qb.

Imo JH will reflect on his rookie year as the most growth he’s had as a qb.
      Yes, it’s a conundrum. One thing Herbert has going for him health wise is that it’s a lot safer for QBs out there than it used to be, rules wise. OTOH, defenders are bigger, stronger and quicker now and they want to teach the rookie a lesson.

Play-wise, I’d be calling more quick passes, not having as many deep drop backs, throw in a few designed roll outs and have no designed QB running plays in the middle of the field and for God’s sake, slide when you do scramble there. Herbert needs to be more aware of danger. And unfortunately, the Chargers seem to not have much of a running game with Ekeler out. But they do have a long ball threat now.

If the Chargers get behind, it’ll change their offensive game plan.

Not sure why the coach hasn’t announced the starter yet, maybe Herbert is just a given this week. Strategically, the Saints only have to prepare for Herbert since TT is not dangerous and a quick look at the film shows his limitations.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by heywally View Post

Yes, it’s a conundrum. One thing Herbert has going for him health wise is that it’s a lot safer for QBs out there than it used to be, rules wise. OTOH, defenders are bigger, stronger and quicker now and they want to teach the rookie a lesson.

Play-wise, I’d be calling more quick passes, not having as many deep drop backs, throw in a few designed roll outs and have no designed QB running plays in the middle of the field and for God’s sake, slide when you do scramble there. Herbert needs to be more aware of danger. And unfortunately, the Chargers seem to not have much of a running game with Ekeler out. But they do have a long ball threat now.

If the Chargers get behind, it’ll change their offensive game plan.

Not sure why the coach hasn’t announced the starter yet, maybe Herbert is just a given this week. Strategically, the Saints only have to prepare for Herbert since TT is not dangerous and a quick look at the film shows his limitations.
        While the quick hitters seem like a good idea, they can spell disaster for a rookie who is still learning to read defenses. With a few exceptions that ended in interceptions, Herbert is doing a good job of keeping his eyes downfield while evading the rush, and seeing routes develop into open recievers...and then delivering the ball quickly. Quick hitters and timing routes can be a bit riskier, if he makes a bad read...just playing Devils Advocate here...
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• JOJAX85
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Irmo, SC
          • Send PM

Still can't believe they are going to play this game in NO. That hurricane is coming & most of those people haven't recovered from the last one. Just seems arrogant to fly in on a luxury bird while most of the residents' lives have been flipped upside down.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
            Still can't believe they are going to play this game in NO. That hurricane is coming & most of those people haven't recovered from the last one. Just seems arrogant to fly in on a luxury bird while most of the residents' lives have been flipped upside down.
            I am surprised as well....figured they would have moved it to SoFi..I don't even think the Rams are playing there on Sunday, but I could be wrong

I for one don't want anybody, including our team, taking risks. They should be taking more precautions.

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Send PM

OK...so it will be long gone by gametime...but I still see your point...there could be a lot of people hurting...seems like a bad time for a game.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Irmo, SC
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                OK...so it will be long gone by gametime...but I still see your point...there could be a lot of people hurting...seems like a bad time for a game.
                Just has a bad feel to it. "I'm really sorry that you've been camped out on your roof for 3 days. I will think about you while I'm having my steak in the clouds."

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

We should have beaten NO a couple of years ago in NO. It took the refs calling back big pass play after big pass plays over and over to get Brees the win. He broke a record of consecutive games with a TD pass and the NFL gave instructions that if he broke the record he had to win. It was close though 4-5 points.
                  So we lost by 7 points or less? So you're saying it was a normal Chargers game, right????

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

The last time the Chargers played in NO, Melvin Ingram was a rookie. The Chargers were leading late when Ingram walloped Brees in what appeared to just about everybody to be a legal hit. But he got flagged and Brees got to continue a drive that by all rights had been stopped. And well, you know the outcome.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
                      It’s possible the saints will evacuate to Indy and that is where the game will be played per NFL.com.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        The last time the Chargers played in NO, Melvin Ingram was a rookie. The Chargers were leading late when Ingram walloped Brees in what appeared to just about everybody to be a legal hit. But he got flagged and Brees got to continue a drive that by all rights had been stopped. And well, you know the outcome.
                        I remember that...hit him right in the brisket, but his head snapped back, and the refs thought he hit his facemask....still pissed about that one...

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

No Ekeler for us and they may have Michael Thomas back - not good.
                          Sean Payton vs Anthony Lynn - not good
                          Their DL vs our OL - not good
                          Tyrod could possibly return this week - not good

All around it doesn't look good.
                          We've got this one!
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X