• 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Great post Critty
    I'm on the fence myself, but I appreciate your well articulated perspective
    I think he stays because like others have suggested, the news of Tyrod's injury investigation and Lynn's comments immediately afterwards lead me to believe Lynn played ball
    Spanos believe they can trust him to control him, to some comfortable degree
    My concern is that confidence and connection tend to dissolve with enough Ls
    by contrast (and not)
    I think confidence and connection can be inspired with obvious advantages in the Xs and Os department
    I think the Spanos' problem isn't necessarily that they're too cheap, but I think they're too cowardly to hire a coach who will tell them and Telesco to fuck off on occasion, and frankly we need that.
    big Telesco fan btw, but we need checks n balances
    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Ive been a Chargers fan for 40 years. And there have only been a few coaches I thought were actually leader teacher who could actually team build a culture of winning and over achieve with talent on roster. Boss Ross, Marty & now Lynn.

I have coached soccer teams.
      And my approach is leader teacher and we won a lot of games. My philosophy is like Lynn's. You practice the right way, you teach and help them be confident about how to play the game. And the score takes care of itself.

Team building has absolutely nothing to do with Xs & Os. And my thoughts about sports or business or family is that confident connected teams win.

When confidence and connection is lacking, hesitation occurs, doubt occurs, and then eventually the blame games occurs as people start worrying about themself over the team.

IMO, Lynn has the skills to build a winner.

You see mediocre and maybe you are correct.
      I dont see it. I see a true leader and teacher who has over achieved. The 9-7 12-4 seasons when the team moved and had no homefield and below average o-line......How the heck is that medicore achievement?

I suspect that if your Philosphy of team building aligned with a Chargers HC then you would be very supportive of that coach like I am.

Agree, agree, agree

I'd add Sid Gilman to the list though
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Agree, agree, agree

I'd add Sid Gilman to the lust though
        Too young to have seen him.
        But love his Philosophy as well. And he was a genius Xs & Os innovator to boot.

download.jpeg ​​​​​​​
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
          AL on how Tyrod took informing him about not being the starter anymore....

“He did not take it well because he wants to lead this team. But he is a pro. He’s one of the better pros I’ve been around. He will support Justin like he’s been doing. "He's still the captain of this football team," Lynn said.
          Calling Tyrod, now our injured backup QB, the "captain of the Bolts" is kind of another backhanded slap at Herbie, along with "Herbert is a backup for a reason." Loyal Lynn just can't let go of his fantasy that Tyrod should still be the #1 QB...AL has a serious case of cognitive dissonance...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
            AL on how Tyrod took informing him about not being the starter anymore....

“He did not take it well because he wants to lead this team. But he is a pro. He’s one of the better pros I’ve been around. He will support Justin like he’s been doing. He’s still the captain of this football team,” Lynn said.
            Lol. Should have taken his C patch off and stitched that on Herbert too. AL: TT, you can be backup if you still want that $5M this year. But I’m gonna need to see that smile ...
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chris9341
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

If there are any Duck fans here I want to remind you Herbert was 4-8 his first season. He played with like 3 different offensive coordinators and had crappy wr's. It was evident to me that people not just in here but a lot of the so called experts are eating crow because they thought Herbert wasn't worthy of a top ten pick let alone a top 6 pick. If you watched any of the Ducks games when Herbert was there his wr's were horrible. I wonder how the Dolphin fans are feeling or will feel if Tua doesn't live up to expectations and they could have drafted Herbert. Or Todd Mcshay who had Jordan Love going to the Chargers at 6 and Herbert going in the middle rounds. It'll be interesting to see how all 3 top Qb's are fairing in say 3 years. Obviously Herbert is going to have to learn how to read NFL defenses and he will. Just get him a halfway decent O-line is all I'm asking.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Calling Tyrod, now our injured backup QB, the "captain of the Bolts" is kind of another backhanded slap at Herbie, along with "Herbert is a backup for a reason." Loyal Lynn just can't let go of his fantasy that Tyrod should still be the #1 QB...AL has a serious case of cognitive dissonance...
                Yeah.....I don't see it that way. What do you want him to do? Make Herbert a captain? No rookie gets that badge.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  Great post Critty
                  I'm on the fence myself, but I appreciate your well articulated perspective
                  I think he stays because like others have suggested, the news of Tyrod's injury investigation and Lynn's comments immediately afterwards lead me to believe Lynn played ball
                  Spanos believe they can trust him to control him, to some comfortable degree
                  My concern is that confidence and connection tend to dissolve with enough Ls
                  by contrast (and not)
                  I think confidence and connection can be inspired with obvious advantages in the Xs and Os department
                  I think the Spanos' problem isn't necessarily that they're too cheap, but I think they're too cowardly to hire a coach who will tell them and Telesco to fuck off on occasion, and frankly we need that.
                  big Telesco fan btw, but we need checks n balances
                  I would agree that Spanos and strong leaders at HC appear to have a shelf life. Boss Ross resigned. He stated it was because of difference in philosophy. And front office trying to control who he had on staff.
                  Marty also had a philosophy difference. And was fired, also in relation to who he wanted on staff.

I am not a fan of doing that in any business.
                  I think you should hire talented people you trust to do the job the best way they know how. And support them fully. When you start trying to get in the kitchen uninvited and mess with their recipe, and think you have that right because they are your subordinate, it typically ends poorly. You may mean well, but you are disrupting their process and workflow. You should listen to their needs and back them up. You should be thinking that you hired them because they are very talented in the kitchen and allow them the freedom to succeed. Have an open door that invites them in to tell you how to improve your product. Avoid meddling and telling them how to improve the product. They are the chef. You are suppose to supply the materials and goods that they need. And then Let them cook.

I think Parcells said something about since they want the HC to cook up a winner, then they should let you pick out some of the groceries. I agree. Why hire talent and them handcuff their freedom to cook at their best by making them do it your way. Sure they can still make something tasty. And the owner can say...that was my idea. But how tasty would the meal have been if you allowed them the freedom to cook their way.

I'm hopeful they have reflected on some past situations and dedecided take a step back and allow Lynn to cook.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
                    If there are any Duck fans here I want to remind you Herbert was 4-8 his first season. He played with like 3 different offensive coordinators and had crappy wr's. It was evident to me that people not just in here but a lot of the so called experts are eating crow because they thought Herbert wasn't worthy of a top ten pick let alone a top 6 pick. If you watched any of the Ducks games when Herbert was there his wr's were horrible. I wonder how the Dolphin fans are feeling or will feel if Tua doesn't live up to expectations and they could have drafted Herbert. Or Todd Mcshay who had Jordan Love going to the Chargers at 6 and Herbert going in the middle rounds. It'll be interesting to see how all 3 top Qb's are fairing in say 3 years. Obviously Herbert is going to have to learn how to read NFL defenses and he will. Just get him a halfway decent O-line is all I'm asking.
                    The knock on Herbert was that he didn't anticipate receivers getting open, he had streaks of inaccuracy, and his mechanics were a bit off. Part of the problem was the new system he was in each year; part of the problem was a lack of trust in his receiver (to whom the system was also new); part of the problem was a coaching staff stressing that he not turn it over - so he couldn't be free wheeling like in his sophomore year,

& a big part of the problem was that he actually went to classes and wasted a lot of time studying Biology instead of Pac 12 defenses. Shame on him! Burrow didn't do that crap at Ohio State & L.S.U..

Comment

• AFboltfan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2018
                      • Balboa Park bench
                      • Medical Simulation
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah.....I don't see it that way. What do you want him to do? Make Herbert a captain? No rookie gets that badge.
                      That's not true, but yea... Making Herbert captain is irrelevant right now. Let him focus on playing well instead of trying to be a "captain" regardless of what it really means.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Your glasses must be on wrong because you sure aren't seeing it for what it is. This is in no way a knock on Herbert.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
                          I'm a Duck fan and I saw pretty much every game Herbert played for the Ducks. Last year, Johnson was the only WR that could catch. I liked Breeland at TE but injury shortened his season. The backs were often his target because the WR's couldn't catch. Some didn't like him for all those short passes to the backs but that was the design of the Ducks offense and of course, he got tired of all the drops by the WR's. In fairness, I never expected him to do this well as a rookie but I'm sure enjoying it!
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X