• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Going back to Lynn...I'll buy the value of having a good motivator as your head coach and letting the coordinators do the X's and O's. But if Lynn is a good motivator and a guy who gets us to practice well, why can't we stay healthy? Injuries are at least in part a reflection of poor strength and conditioning. Or maybe it's just not a big enough focus of this team.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Calling Tyrod, now our injured backup QB, the "captain of the Bolts" is kind of another backhanded slap at Herbie, along with "Herbert is a backup for a reason." Loyal Lynn just can't let go of his fantasy that Tyrod should still be the #1 QB...AL has a serious case of cognitive dissonance...
      He is a captain as voted on by the team.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Calling Tyrod, now our injured backup QB, the "captain of the Bolts" is kind of another backhanded slap at Herbie, along with "Herbert is a backup for a reason." Loyal Lynn just can't let go of his fantasy that Tyrod should still be the #1 QB...AL has a serious case of cognitive dissonance...
        I dont think you switch team captains midseason. Next season if theyre both on the team then maybe add Herbert to it. Taking the patch off would be an even bigger slap in the face of someone who's probably on the edge of suing the team.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I dont think you switch team captains midseason. Next season if theyre both on the team then maybe add Herbert to it. Taking the patch off would be an even bigger slap in the face of someone who's probably on the edge of suing the team.
          I'm not sure that's possible...he had a pre-existing injury that was preventing him from playing so they took a shot "literally" to give him a chance at all to play! If he's not losing pay this season he's not being damaged at all.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
            Going back to Lynn...I'll buy the value of having a good motivator as your head coach and letting the coordinators do the X's and O's. But if Lynn is a good motivator and a guy who gets us to practice well, why can't we stay healthy? Injuries are at least in part a reflection of poor strength and conditioning. Or maybe it's just not a big enough focus of this team.
            Not really. I think we should have a dedicated sports science department to help. But that did nothing for the Niners when they implemented it last season. It’s the nature of the NFL and having a shortened offseason. Remember that we overhauled everything in 2017 when Lynn took over. But that general health only lasted one season.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

citizen kane applause GIFO

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Not really. I think we should have a dedicated sports science department to help. But that did nothing for the Niners when they implemented it last season. It’s the nature of the NFL and having a shortened offseason. Remember that we overhauled everything in 2017 when Lynn took over. But that general health only lasted one season.
                maybe part of it is that even if players are not really bigger than players in the past, the players today are backing more muscle and weight on their bodies than our bodies(bones, tendons, etc) are naturally made to handle(causing extra stress when players cut etc)..... and long ago, the players that played longer tended to do alot of their working out, working out naturally, using mostly your body weight, outside running up hills, bleachers, calisthenics, etc which make you use all your muscles together over using machines that isolate muscles and allow you to over size some muscles....... rather than building muscles evenly and that move together......

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Well, every team needs a captain of a tugboat!
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

Okay, I get that you don't switch captains midseason, especially to name a rook QB a captain after just a few games starting. It's just that the timing of Lynn's statement was not the best...why even bring it up? Lynn should be praising Herbert for the job he's done so far under tough circumstances (injuries, defensive lapses, etc.)...

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Popper answers a question about Lynn's decision:
                      Other than wanting you to stop bugging him about it, what finally happened for Lynn to officially go with Herbert?
                      For those who have not been plugged in this week, Anthony Lynn announced Thursday that Justin Herbert will be the Chargers’ starting quarterback for the remainder of the season, even when Tyrod Taylor is fully healthy.

“He has impressed from the very beginning,” Lynn said of Herbert at his news conference. “It’s not going to be a situation where he’s looking over his shoulder. He is our starting quarterback. He makes a bad play, he has a bad game, he’s our quarterback.”

I asked Lynn why he was making this announcement now. Lynn quipped, “So that you stop asking me every press conference who’s the quarterback.”

He was joking. But I actually think there is some truth buried in this answer. Lynn knows how uncertainty at quarterback can fester on a team and in a locker room. If he continued to delay this decision, reporters would keep asking questions — not just to Lynn, but to his players. Television and radio pundits would keep discussing the controversy as a talking point. There would be an ever-present dialogue that the players would have to try to avoid. Making his decision forcefully and absolutely eliminates that distraction.

In the end, though, this wasn’t the primary reason. Far from it. Herbert earned this opportunity with his play on the field. He played a truly outstanding game against the Bucs, keeping the Chargers in it despite a dud from the defense. He made throws that few quarterbacks in the league are even physically capable of making. The proof is in the tape. Herbert might make more mistakes than Taylor, but he also makes more plays. He raises this offense to a different level. And because of that, he gives the Chargers the best chance to win. Lynn could no longer avoid that truth after Herbert’s performance against Tampa, as badly as he wanted to give Taylor his shot.

The exciting part for the Chargers is that Herbert is only going to get better from here, as he gets more comfortable in the offense and at the line of scrimmage. That Bucs game genuinely could just be scratching the surface.

Herbert has shown tangible growth from game to game. He has minimized mistakes as he has gotten more playing time. Seeing that type of consistent development is what led Lynn to make him the full-time starter.

Buckle in. It is going to be a fun 13 weeks.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Okay, I get that you don't switch captains midseason, especially to name a rook QB a captain after just a few games starting. It's just that the timing of Lynn's statement was not the best...why even bring it up? Lynn should be praising Herbert for the job he's done so far under tough circumstances (injuries, defensive lapses, etc.)...
                        I think Lynn's done enough praising for a rookie QB.

Comment

• Parcells
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          The fact remains, we've been one of the most injured teams in the league over the last 5+ years. One or two seasons of a rash of injuries is bad luck, this many and it's a trend.

Comment

Working...
                          X