• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

...wouldn't be surprised...either a meeting or two with TT and/or Baby Spanos...
    Highly doubt it.

Comment

• Scotty Boy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2017
      • Send PM

Directly or indirectly, my guess is the Players helped make this decision.

Clearly Herbert brings more enthusiasm and explosiveness to the Offense.....and Team.

Several Players, including Ekeler, had said so in their own words.

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
        Lets be real... I'm sure this was a Telesco decision. Regardless I'm glad it was made... I think Tyrod is a very capable backup and I'm glad we have him. But the future is Herbert and Herbert has proven he is ready to grow into the position as the #1 on the field.
        Anthony Lynn lost me on this... IF he turns this season around and wins fine I'll support him, however we need a HC who will stand by what he wants to do...
        Tyrod was his guy and he caved. If the Chiefs QB could sit a year a learn and become a better QB because of it so could Herbert, Lynn''s logic made sense but again he wavered.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

I'm not sure if the front office guys had any role in this, or if Coach Lynn decided it himself. But it was a good decision.

I honestly think Lynn thought this team was talented enough on both sides of the ball, that he could play Tyrod, take care of the football and win enough games that way.

However, 2 things have happened that threw a kink in that plan.
          1. The Kid was forced into action early, and was much better than he thought.
          2. The team isn't as good as it was. We need the plays that Justin can provide (and Tyrod can't). This is not a knock on Telesco...during the broadcast Sunday they said that the Chargers were missing 10 projected starters, out of their 22. (1 was Tyrod), and they lost Ekeler during the game. That's half of the anticipated starters out.

Seriously, the offense we saw against the Bengals was total ass. That's the least amount of points and yards against Cinci this season.

Meanwhile, I kept hearing about how good the Bucs defense was, and Herbert consistently had their number.

He's the better player, and the only chance they have to score enough points to win. Also, what has happened to the defense the past 2 weeks? They don't look like they can stop anyone right now.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by Critty View Post
            Where are all the trolls who insisted Lynn really wanted Tyrod back as starter?

Not only did Lynn name Justin starter rest of year, he doubled down with he doesn't have to worry about looking over his shoulder.

:stirpot:
            I do not know where the troll aspect comes from when you have a head coach that fails to start the obviously superior QB from day one and then doubles down on the stupidity when confronted with the issue when it was clearly visible to every rational thinking analyst and media person just how much better Herbert is than Taylor. A great and yet unasked question concerns why Herbert was not named the starter at the outset. Unless your position is that Herbert suddenly transformed himself from how he was playing 5 seconds before the week 1 kickoff to the KC game, it is pretty darn obvious that Herbert was the better QB all along.

And yet Lynn named Tyrod as the starter. That is pretty clear evidence that there is a strong bias in favor of Tyrod. If Lynn had all of these days in practice to see them both, why is it that he could not see what it took the rest of us exactly one drive against Kansas City to see? I would submit that that is a pretty fair question.

Lynn stated that he wanted to take things slowly in his decision making process about the starting QB, which is why he delayed in naming Herbert as the starter. But that explanation is after the fact horse manure. If someone wants to leave the issue open, then he does what Belichick just did and indicates that he will evaluate the matter and decide. That is not what Lynn did. Lynn insisted that Taylor was his starter. And when he found himself on shaky ground for stating such a ridiculous view, he offered up some pretty weak reasons for his view that even included some criticism for the Browns and Baker Mayfield.

I think it would have been fine for him to say that he was going to take time and see how things went, but that is not what he did. He kept trying to force the Tyrod is the starter narrative on us. It seems very clear that that is the result that he wanted, but Herbert forced him to make a different choice because everyone could see that Lynn's reasons made no sense and demonstrated that Lynn was out of touch with the reality of the situation.

Lynn also knows that there is no reason not to develop Herbert, so that is why he had to commit to him for the rest of the season. In my view, any chance that Lynn has to remain as the head coach only exists if he plays a healthy Herbert. If he plays Herbert and the team has a losing record, he can fall back on the point that although there were numerous losses, he succeeded in developing his QB, laying the foundation for a successful future.

If Taylor plays, the team loses and Herbert does not get to develop for the future, that could easily be view as a pretty big failure on Lynn's part.

So Lynn was forced to make the change that he did based upon all of the factors involved.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

So people are considered trolls if they take the coach at his word where he repeatedly insisted that Taylor was going to be the starter again when he got healthy??? He literally said Herbert was a backup for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                I'm not sure if the front office guys had any role in this, or if Coach Lynn decided it himself. But it was a good decision.

I honestly think Lynn thought this team was talented enough on both sides of the ball, that he could play Tyrod, take care of the football and win enough games that way.

However, 2 things have happened that threw a kink in that plan.
                1. The Kid was forced into action early, and was much better than he thought.
                2. The team isn't as good as it was. We need the plays that Justin can provide (and Tyrod can't). This is not a knock on Telesco...during the broadcast Sunday they said that the Chargers were missing 10 projected starters, out of their 22. (1 was Tyrod), and they lost Ekeler during the game. That's half of the anticipated starters out.

Seriously, the offense we saw against the Bengals was total ass. That's the least amount of points and yards against Cinci this season.

Meanwhile, I kept hearing about how good the Bucs defense was, and Herbert consistently had their number.

He's the better player, and the only chance they have to score enough points to win. Also, what has happened to the defense the past 2 weeks? They don't look like they can stop anyone right now.
                The defense has been injured and maybe they were always just a little bit overrated. Even with everyone healthy, I think they are good to very good, but not great. Hayward has had issues to the point that I am beginning to trust Michael Davis more than Hayward. Harris has not been all that great. Tillery is inconsistent against the run. The quality of the depth of the DL is not all that impressive. Jenkins has been hit and miss. White looks tougher against the run due to being bulked up, but does not look quite as good in pass coverage.

The defensive scheme was not as good against Carolina--way to deep and soft against a dink and dunk QB. And the player execution of the defensive calls was horrible against Tampa Bay--inability to cover a one-legged receiver and blown assignments.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Lynn got over-whelmed by the facts and had to over-ride vet-loyalty and the old-school philospy of rookie QB's sit and learn. I am not sure if everyone has full synced into what is happening with Herbert.

Get Excited about now ant the Future

1 You realize what he is doing with a poorus, injured riddled offensive line and he maintain poise under these circumstance
                  2 You realize he threw 3 TD's to undrafted players in one game
                  3. You realize what he is able to do with no running game against Tampa
                  4. You realize that he is very intelligent athelete and he is learning more each snap each game
                  5. You realize where what he is doing without any pre-season games
                  6 You realize the kuddos other coaches are giving him after 3 games from Arian to Sean Peyton
                  7. You realize what they are saying about his arm talent he is making throws comparable to Mahomes fading back and still throwing with velocity and accuracy
                  8. You realize he is putting up numbers equally good or better than Borrows who got every snap with the starters from day one in camp
                  9. You realize that his name is in talks for Rookie of the Year

Way too early to say but Herbert has the making of being the 1st Charger QB since Humpries to take us to a Super Bowl sometime in his career baring any severe injury

All this is way too much even for Lynn to keep Herbert on the bench

Man I am excited about this season because or Herbert we need all the o-line to get healthy and Mike Williams to get back to health, on D Ingram, Harris and Jones to get health and who knows maybe we might squeeze our way into the playoffs

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

AL on how Tyrod took informing him about not being the starter anymore....

“He did not take it well because he wants to lead this team. But he is a pro. He’s one of the better pros I’ve been around. He will support Justin like he’s been doing. He’s still the captain of this football team,” Lynn said.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Playoffs or not - it's fun to have a young QB playing so well. W e'll be looking forward to each game with JH as our new QB. And to think I didn't want them to draft him. lol
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        So people are considered trolls if they take the coach at his word where he repeatedly insisted that Taylor was going to be the starter again when he got healthy??? He literally said Herbert was a backup for a reason.
                        No they are trolls for playing up a narrative that Lynn was so loyal to Tyrod he wanted Justin to fail.
                        Or so Loyal to his vision with Tyrod that he would stubbornly go back to Taylor and bench Justin.
                        Trolls for playing up his comment after KC game and ignoring/forgetting other comments Lynn has made about the QB position battle.

Let's take him at his word.
                        This is what was said by Lynn after the draft when he was hopeful they would have a full pre-season with 4 games to evaluate his roster. "We drafted him high to one day be our franchise quarterback, for sure," Lynn said about the 22-year-old Herbert. "But I don't want to put a timetable on this young man. ... Does he need a couple of years? Does he need one year? Maybe he doesn't need any at all. I don't know. They're going to go in and they're going to compete. The best guy is going to play."

Lynn is staying true to his principles.

After one game, a loss. Where Justin tossed a terrible interception vs KC. He said he was a back up for a reason.
                        He admitted, (his words) that he did not want to compliment anyone after that loss.
                        Then he got to see him play two more games. And play mostly lights out in his 3rd start on road vs heavy pressure by Bucs.
                        I'd imagine if Justin had 4 pre-season games and played lights out in pre-season game 3, Anthony would have kept his word and decided to name Herbert the starter to begin the season.
                        Fate did not give him the chance to evaluate the QB position battle like he wanted to and would typically be able to. So instead he made a very sensible decision to start the veteran QB.

The KC statement was so overblown because it ignored other statements Lynn has made this year, as well as his basic philosophy of letting them compete and playing the best guy.
                        In the Furture with Lynn thread. I responded to the trolls and said I believe Lynn really wants Justin to start winning games so he can easily say to Tyrod. I am not messing with chemistry, we are winning so Justin is going to keep playing. But they had not won. Yet Lynn still decided he had seen enough to make the change. Which exactly matches up with his after draft statements about the QB position battle and playing the best guy. Tyrod injury gave Justin an opportunity to audition like he would have had if a pre-season existed and he won the job.

In my estimation. Lynn is staying true to his word the entire time.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I do not know where the troll aspect comes from when you have a head coach that fails to start the obviously superior QB from day one and then doubles down on the stupidity when confronted with the issue when it was clearly visible to every rational thinking analyst and media person just how much better Herbert is than Taylor. A great and yet unasked question concerns why Herbert was not named the starter at the outset. Unless your position is that Herbert suddenly transformed himself from how he was playing 5 seconds before the week 1 kickoff to the KC game, it is pretty darn obvious that Herbert was the better QB all along.

And yet Lynn named Tyrod as the starter. That is pretty clear evidence that there is a strong bias in favor of Tyrod. If Lynn had all of these days in practice to see them both, why is it that he could not see what it took the rest of us exactly one drive against Kansas City to see? I would submit that that is a pretty fair question.

Lynn stated that he wanted to take things slowly in his decision making process about the starting QB, which is why he delayed in naming Herbert as the starter. But that explanation is after the fact horse manure. If someone wants to leave the issue open, then he does what Belichick just did and indicates that he will evaluate the matter and decide. That is not what Lynn did. Lynn insisted that Taylor was his starter. And when he found himself on shaky ground for stating such a ridiculous view, he offered up some pretty weak reasons for his view that even included some criticism for the Browns and Baker Mayfield.

I think it would have been fine for him to say that he was going to take time and see how things went, but that is not what he did. He kept trying to force the Tyrod is the starter narrative on us. It seems very clear that that is the result that he wanted, but Herbert forced him to make a different choice because everyone could see that Lynn's reasons made no sense and demonstrated that Lynn was out of touch with the reality of the situation.

Lynn also knows that there is no reason not to develop Herbert, so that is why he had to commit to him for the rest of the season. In my view, any chance that Lynn has to remain as the head coach only exists if he plays a healthy Herbert. If he plays Herbert and the team has a losing record, he can fall back on the point that although there were numerous losses, he succeeded in developing his QB, laying the foundation for a successful future.

If Taylor plays, the team loses and Herbert does not get to develop for the future, that could easily be view as a pretty big failure on Lynn's part.

So Lynn was forced to make the change that he did based upon all of the factors involved.
                          :deadhorse:

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X